2016 Grand Prix of Mexico - Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, 28-30 October

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: 2016 Grand Prix of Mexico - Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, 28-30 October

f1316 wrote:Vettel admitted he blocked Hamilton - didn't realise he was there - so need to even debate the point.

Ferrari as bizarre as ever. They looked like the only challenger to Hamilton in Q1 and Q2 and then go backwards in Q3. Typical.
They are really hurting from a lack of understanding of temperature control in the Pirrelli tyre. It is too many tracks where they can't get one or both tyres working in Q2/Q3/race. It just seems really odd for a top team. Not sure if its suspension design or aero. The time when Ferrari fired the ex-bridgeston tyre scientist I had a bad feeling it was a knee-jerk reaction, I mean even in the shadow of the failings that year the Ferrari was pretty good on the tyres. Now it obvious the tyre/suspension guy has no clue how to manage the tyres in Q.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Mark4211

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Mark4211 wrote:Annotated wheel adjustments: Pole position lap - Mexico 2016
https://vimeo.com/189462669
Okaay I see. So you are Marklar?

I was once on autosport back in the Button Vs Hamilton days, but I wasn't elitist enough so they banned me. Twice.
I'm Mark4211, not 'Marklar'.

Mark4211

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Mark4211 wrote:Annotated wheel adjustments: Pole position lap - Mexico 2016
https://vimeo.com/189462669
Okaay I see. So you are Marklar?

I was once on autosport back in the Button Vs Hamilton days, but I wasn't elitist enough so they banned me. Twice.
I'm Mark4211, not 'Marklar'.

f1316

PlatinumZealot wrote:
f1316 wrote:Vettel admitted he blocked Hamilton - didn't realise he was there - so need to even debate the point.

Ferrari as bizarre as ever. They looked like the only challenger to Hamilton in Q1 and Q2 and then go backwards in Q3. Typical.
They are really hurting from a lack of understanding of temperature control in the Pirrelli tyre. It is too many tracks where they can't get one or both tyres working in Q2/Q3/race. It just seems really odd for a top team. Not sure if its suspension design or aero. The time when Ferrari fired the ex-bridgeston tyre scientist I had a bad feeling it was a knee-jerk reaction, I mean even in the shadow of the failings that year the Ferrari was pretty good on the tyres. Now it obvious the tyre/suspension guy has no clue how to manage the tyres in Q.
Agreed - it's a major major weakness.

But I think it has been for a long time , although I'll grant this year seems like a new low on that front. Still, I was always surprised that having the ex Bridgestone guy didn't give them an advantage on the tyre front; you'd think he would have really understood how the rubber works but I didn't get the impression it was translating into an ability to manage them especially well.

Vettel was good on the softs in Q2 though - and RB's/Hulk on SS - so with any luck that'll help bring him up to Rosberg who I think is beatable.

iotar__

Tow and tyres: http://en.f1i.com/news/78328-rosberg-ta ... -lead.html
(Rosberg)"I had a great start in Austin on the softs, just as good as the guys on the super-softs. And it’s a long run down to Turn 1 so that should be an advantage for the guy starting second.

“The tow is very, very minimal here," Hamilton said. "You saw last year I was right behind him and it didn’t make hardly any difference. The tow affect is much smaller here than it is in other circuits, but it’s still there and that’s why I’ve got to get a good start.”

Vasconia

iotar__ wrote:Tow and tyres: http://en.f1i.com/news/78328-rosberg-ta ... -lead.html
(Rosberg)"I had a great start in Austin on the softs, just as good as the guys on the super-softs. And it’s a long run down to Turn 1 so that should be an advantage for the guy starting second.

“The tow is very, very minimal here," Hamilton said. "You saw last year I was right behind him and it didn’t make hardly any difference. The tow affect is much smaller here than it is in other circuits, but it’s still there and that’s why I’ve got to get a good start.”
Rosberg needs to have clearly better start than Lewis. If not, its better for him to secure the second position because he may have more problems to recover here than in Texas.

Anyway, I dont know if its the pressure but I have seen a pretty average Nico this weekend so far.

Vasconia

iotar__ wrote:- no mind games, it's hardly a mind game when you end up behind ;-)
- tyres/balance - judging by Ricciardo's comments it was a weird Q, Rosberg was behind whole weekend, rather big margin too
If he is playing mind game he is a master, because you must be as cold as the ice to do what he did yesterday. I think that he has some problems this weekend.

And well, Lewis was happy with Nico being 5th so I guess this last time recovery didnt make him happy hehe.

Ferrari and Vettel are starting to loose everything. Sebastian needs to calm down, he is behaving laughably.

I dont know what the hell happens with them and tyres, Q3 is almost always a disaster this season.

Vasconia

PlatinumZealot wrote:It is a long run down to the first corner... And Rosberg has been complaining about his clutch engagement since yesterday... I smell blood.
I guess you almost smell blood when its about Nico. :wink:

Vasconia

basti313 wrote:
turbof1 wrote:
Vasconia wrote:Rosberg seems to be clearly behind Lewis but it has been a weird FP3 with so much traffic. He could have problems with RB and Ferrari so he needs to improve his performance.
Or you know, he has a terrible weekend, finishes 6th tomorrow and we have a tight championship battle again #wishfulthinking
Do you call this a battle if we see such a poor performance of Rosberg? You can have them fighting for 1/2 now and in two weeks and a battle for the championship if Ham wins this weekend. Not more. But you can also have much less if either of the two falls behind in Q or at the start, then you have one race of boredom in regard to the championship, because the other one will just cruise to the win.
I would prefer to see both RB being in the front and both Mercedes fighting between each other than Lewis being first comportably and Nico stuck behind both RB.

diego.liv

Vasconia wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:It is a long run down to the first corner... And Rosberg has been complaining about his clutch engagement since yesterday... I smell blood.
Many smell blood when it's about Nico :lol:
http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/ ... s-hamilton

basti313

Vasconia wrote:
basti313 wrote:
turbof1 wrote: Or you know, he has a terrible weekend, finishes 6th tomorrow and we have a tight championship battle again #wishfulthinking
Do you call this a battle if we see such a poor performance of Rosberg? You can have them fighting for 1/2 now and in two weeks and a battle for the championship if Ham wins this weekend. Not more. But you can also have much less if either of the two falls behind in Q or at the start, then you have one race of boredom in regard to the championship, because the other one will just cruise to the win.
I would prefer to see both RB being in the front and both Mercedes fighting between each other than Lewis being first comportably and Nico stuck behind both RB.
+1. True. There is only one thing more boring than both flying away in 1/2 and that is one flying away and the other one catching up by strategy.
Both in the field would spice things up a bit.
diego.liv wrote:
Vasconia wrote:
Breaking news...
No idea why so many people here are so going nuts about Britney and the other girl.
I did not understand this with Vet vs. Web, but now this is even more ridiculous with these tight margins between the two and the domination of the Merc.
Don`t russel the hamster!

diego.liv

basti313 wrote:
Vasconia wrote:
basti313 wrote: Do you call this a battle if we see such a poor performance of Rosberg? You can have them fighting for 1/2 now and in two weeks and a battle for the championship if Ham wins this weekend. Not more. But you can also have much less if either of the two falls behind in Q or at the start, then you have one race of boredom in regard to the championship, because the other one will just cruise to the win.
+1. True. There is only one thing more boring than both flying away in 1/2 and that is one flying away and the other one catching up by strategy.
diego.liv wrote:
Vasconia wrote:
Breaking news...
No idea why so many people here are so going nuts about Britney and the other girl.
I did not understand this with Vet vs. Web, but now this is even more ridiculous with these tight margins between the two and the domination of the Merc.
Actually i'm not rooting for Lewis, i just brought back a fun fact, that Nico himself told us about. I wasn't mocking him in a fanboy way. Gosh, english isn't my native language, but i found it funny how many times comments are misjudged and interpreted in the wrong way: i can understand if there are mistakes, then reading a comment can quickly become confusing; no need to rush to conclusion, simply read it better, if it's the case (not mine ofc since i don't post a lot) try to recall a user POV, his/her past ideas.

Time and again people miss sarcasm, miss the point. I, like many, had to study english, you (general) can do your part to understand the situation

ClarkBT11

Sounds like Nico isn't the only one using a sanitary towel this week. :mrgreen:

basti313

diego.liv wrote:
basti313 wrote:
Vasconia wrote:
diego.liv wrote:
Breaking news...
Actually i'm not rooting for Lewis, i just brought back a fun fact, that Nico himself told us about. I wasn't mocking him in a fanboy way. Gosh, english isn't my native language, but i found it funny how many times comments are misjudged and interpreted in the wrong way: i can understand if there are mistakes, then reading a comment can quickly become confusing; no need to rush to conclusion, simply read it better, if it's the case (not mine ofc since i don't post a lot) try to recall a user POV, his/her past ideas.

Time and again people miss sarcasm, miss the point. I, like many, had to study english, you (general) can do your part to understand the situation
Sorry, my post was meant to be pure sarcasm as well. Thanks for posting the article. As you say it is a "funfact" and even more a nice facepalm, that journalists think it is worth to write an article about what the weirdos are wearing under their helmet.
Thank god, that this is not too common and we do not have to dig through pages of articles about driver's undies to find interesting articles.
Don`t russel the hamster!

hollus

It looks like the 378km/h was more than a twitter after all. This is in the official site which "copied" the old logo of this site:
Cars have gone beyond the record speed already this year - albeit only in practice and only at an unfamiliar circuit where the cars weren’t fully dialled in via simulation in the way that would usually be the case. “I think we hit 378km/h in Azerbaijan,” says Rob Smedley, Williams Head of Performance Engineering. “Would we go as quick in a race? No way. More wing!”
Rivals, not enemies.