2016 Grand Prix of Mexico - Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, 28-30 October

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Vasconia
39
User avatar
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:45 am
Location: Basque Country

Re: 2016 Grand Prix of Mexico - Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, 28-30 October

Post by Vasconia » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:05 am

f1316 wrote:
Vasconia wrote:
iotar__ wrote: Mercedes :twisted: , they dominated but I thought it was a track where Ferrari were closer on pace than usual. Should be closer in '16.
But the race was a disaster and taking into acount how the season is going, a expect another strategy/mistake disaster. I hope I am wrong, though.
Plus Ferrari were inherently closer to Mercedes' pace this time last year.

Hope I'm wrong but I don't think they'll be close to Mercedes. I'm beginning to think Ricciardo was right about the Renault engine being almost on par with the Ferrari too since they don't suffer particularly from long straights any more.
I agree with the fact that Ferrari was closer last year but last races have shown that their pace is pretty good. The biggest problem is the terrible way of managing the races which are ruinning results that potentially could have been achieved by this car.

Juzh
443
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:45 am

Re: 2016 Grand Prix of Mexico - Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, 28-30 October

Post by Juzh » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:01 am

GPR-A wrote:
ChrisDanger wrote:Just a note on the altitude...

https://i.imgur.com/i7WUYfY.png

7323 feet = 2.232 km :wtf:
Due to its high altitude and low density of air, a Monaco setup would only cause a Monza drag and needless to say a low down force effect for the cars. Once again, Red Bull should be flying here, albeit not as much as a Mercedes, but would most likely maintain a small gap to Ferrari. Force India should be good here and would be able to give Ferrari a run for its money.
Can you imagine how underpowered the V8s would feel :lol: Even in brazil they barely got up to 300 kmh with drs. Here they'd be absolutely hopeless.

basti313
40
Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:49 pm

Re: 2016 Grand Prix of Mexico - Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, 28-30 October

Post by basti313 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:40 pm

Monaco package, but long straights. The Bulls will not be bad here, but I expect Ferrari to be a bit more competitive in relation to the Bulls than in Austin. No need to talk about Merc, who wins the first corner will win.
A big question will be McLaren this weekend. Will they be competitive or not? This will tell a lot about the engine development. Last year they needed one engine for Q and one for the race, if I remember it correctly. ;)

flynfrog
Moderator
User avatar
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:31 pm

Re: 2016 Grand Prix of Mexico - Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, 28-30 October

Post by flynfrog » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:00 pm

whats the story behind the picture chris? Brake fire?

ChrisDanger
44
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:59 am

Re: 2016 Grand Prix of Mexico - Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, 28-30 October

Post by ChrisDanger » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:58 pm

flynfrog wrote:whats the story behind the picture chris? Brake fire?
Yes, during FP1. So Mercedes probably initially misjudged the amount of brake duct opening they needed.

Rosberg: "We're really on the edge here with the brakes, because if you cool them more you lose performance. You open up the car [for cooling], so you lose downforce and you go slower. So you always want to try to be on the edge, and here specifically it's quite difficult because we are so high up. The air is very thin, so it doesn't flow very well through the car."

Hamilton: "Cooling is going to be a problem for everyone this weekend. We're going to have to manage it, but everyone is in the same position."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/121582

That's why I was surprised by the difference in altitude compared with all the other tracks. The cars are really on the edge of the design envelope here.

PhillipM
317
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 2:18 pm
Location: Over the road from Boothy...

Re: 2016 Grand Prix of Mexico - Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, 28-30 October

Post by PhillipM » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:00 pm

basti313 wrote:A big question will be McLaren this weekend. Will they be competitive or not? This will tell a lot about the engine development. Last year they needed one engine for Q and one for the race, if I remember it correctly. ;)
Doubtful, they're still having to use more rpms to flow enough air through the engine, so I would imagine it will make them struggle more to match the other engines, not less.

hollus
Moderator
User avatar
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:21 am
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

Re: 2016 Grand Prix of Mexico - Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, 28-30 October

Post by hollus » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:18 pm

Plus McLaren have themselves said that they suffer where extreme aero is needed as, since focus is on 2017 anyways, the car has been evolved for "typical" aero only to avoid misdirections.
So they'll be underpowered (they can't raise the revs anymore) and have lower downforce.
Notlooking good for Macca in Mexico, IMO.
It is not white, it is not black, it is probably gray.

ChrisDanger
44
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:59 am

Re: 2016 Grand Prix of Mexico - Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, 28-30 October

Post by ChrisDanger » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:41 am

Some initial preparations.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Vasconia
39
User avatar
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:45 am
Location: Basque Country

Re: 2016 Grand Prix of Mexico - Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, 28-30 October

Post by Vasconia » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:20 am

ChrisDanger wrote:
flynfrog wrote:whats the story behind the picture chris? Brake fire?
Yes, during FP1. So Mercedes probably initially misjudged the amount of brake duct opening they needed.

Rosberg: "We're really on the edge here with the brakes, because if you cool them more you lose performance. You open up the car [for cooling], so you lose downforce and you go slower. So you always want to try to be on the edge, and here specifically it's quite difficult because we are so high up. The air is very thin, so it doesn't flow very well through the car."

Hamilton: "Cooling is going to be a problem for everyone this weekend. We're going to have to manage it, but everyone is in the same position."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/121582

That's why I was surprised by the difference in altitude compared with all the other tracks. The cars are really on the edge of the design envelope here.
Anyway they solved the problem quite well in 2015. I dont remember such a dramatic race on the reliablity aspect.

Obviously the drivers complain always because they want to go as fast as possible hehe.

WaikeCU
71
User avatar
Joined: Tue May 13, 2014 11:03 pm

Re: 2016 Grand Prix of Mexico - Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, 28-30 October

Post by WaikeCU » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:25 am

I think going into turn 1 in P1 would be vital for the race. You don't want turbulent air and because brakes are working on the edge, cooling them down will be even harder with the hot air of the car in front.

godlameroso
354
User avatar
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:27 pm
Location: Miami FL

Re: 2016 Grand Prix of Mexico - Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, 28-30 October

Post by godlameroso » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:24 pm

Weather forecast cloudy and cool all weekend. Very humid, temperatures will be 18-22c track temperatures not much higher.
The height of cultivation is really nothing special. It is merely simplicity; the ability to express the utmost with the minimum. Mr.Lee

Manoah2u
386
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:07 pm

Re: 2016 Grand Prix of Mexico - Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, 28-30 October

Post by Manoah2u » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:13 pm

Rosberg won this GP last year after starting from pole. True, Hamilton by then had the WDC in the pocket and one can argue he didn't bother as much as he obviously should now.
Lewis will go into the race mentally different without any doubt, but the RedBulls surely are reasonable threat. Let's just hope first-lap wrecking ball doesn't qualify his Ferrari in p3 or p4 and position himself as such that he'll take out Lewis and then we'll see the championship decided as a win from Rosberg would then advance him too far in the points. I want to see a tight battle, not a snoozefest into the last couple of races.
Dumpster sounds so much more classy. It's the diamond of the cesspools.

Vasconia
39
User avatar
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:45 am
Location: Basque Country

Re: 2016 Grand Prix of Mexico - Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, 28-30 October

Post by Vasconia » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:26 pm

Manoah2u wrote:Rosberg won this GP last year after starting from pole. True, Hamilton by then had the WDC in the pocket and one can argue he didn't bother as much as he obviously should now.
.
I doubt this can happen, Lewis always want to win. But yes, he will be extra motivated because he needs to win.

basti313
40
Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:49 pm

Re: 2016 Grand Prix of Mexico - Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, 28-30 October

Post by basti313 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:43 pm

Vasconia wrote:
Manoah2u wrote:Rosberg won this GP last year after starting from pole. True, Hamilton by then had the WDC in the pocket and one can argue he didn't bother as much as he obviously should now.
.
I doubt this can happen, Lewis always want to win. But yes, he will be extra motivated because he needs to win.
Well, in reality brake cooling will be a big problem. When they run 1-2 it will stay like this, no matter if Lewis or Nico is on P2. All P2 can do is whine about the strategy.

f1316
127
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:36 pm

Re: 2016 Grand Prix of Mexico - Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, 28-30 October

Post by f1316 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:46 pm

f1316 wrote: I'm beginning to think Ricciardo was right about the Renault engine being almost on par with the Ferrari too since they don't suffer particularly from long straights any more.
As if by magic to reinforce my point:

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/red-b ... ow-843490/