2016 Grand Prix of Brazil - Interlagos, 11-13 November

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Fifty

Re: 2016 Grand Prix of Brazil - Interlagos, 11-13 November

I dont think Mercedes careswhich of their drivers win the wdc. All they care about is that they come in 1st and 2nd.
Those points are still worth money and Wolff and Lauda are shareholders in the team and the more points it makes the more they make.

The strategy will be: what ever it takes to keep both cars ahead of RB. Who cares who comes in first

Paul

Points at this point actually only cost money, as they determine how much they will have to pay for next year's license. Not that I believe it matters to them.

basti313

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Manoah2u wrote:
Fulcrum wrote:Would Rosberg fight for the win, or give it up for a safe second?
I don't think Mercedes actually will allow Rosberg to attack Hamilton, with all potential dangers involved.
At the very best, they might perform an undercut, but you can bet it'll be solid fiery hell fury if they pit nico
before lewis and then undercut him.

I think vice versa would actually happen. Dont forget they do want Lewis to maintain 'befriended' as he'll be
there next year too. They can put it on 'lewis was on another strategy and we needed to adapt to fend off the
danger of RedBull and Ferrari' so we decided to pit him early and that gave him an undercut or advantage over
nico which is why Lewis ended up first.

Nico will still come in 2nd and still can go into AbuDhabi rather confident to have that WDC. He only needs to
finish 3rd in Abu Dhabi and he'll be WDC.

I think personally, Lewis has found the edge back over Rosberg, and i think Lewis' biggest danger at this moment
really isn't either Rosberg or the RB's to guarantee a LOSS of WDC,
it's simply the reliability factor of his car.

Gearbox, combustion engine, ERS, electronics. it's all very very borderline.

Nico can permit having a DNF. Lewis CANT.

Makes me wonder.. I Lewis is leading by 2 seconds and Nico is under attack by Max. Do they give Nico the undercut?
The question is how effective the undercut will be. The last years it was not effective at Interlagos. Ham had the chance to come out first with a good inlap last year as it took too long to get the tires to a working temperature.
Don`t russel the hamster!

FW17

Merc has a policy of lead driver always pitting first.

Manoah2u

yes, but that policy has not been lived up to on several occasions causing quite the stir for the driver(s).
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Shrieker

I've this idea for the circuit with a rudimentary drawing, although this kills the character and the flow somewhat. But it would make following other cars and aid overtaking a lot with the current formula, and probably a lot more with the new formula coming up for 2017. The race could end up 1 or 2 laps shorter tho.

Also, the track would truly be "interlagos" :mrgreen:

Sorry, lake.

Better image here
Last edited by Shrieker on 06 Nov 2016, 15:35, edited 2 times in total.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Juzh

Shrieker wrote:I've this idea for the circuit with a rudimentary drawing, although this kills the character and the flow somewhat. But it would make following other cars and aid overtaking a lot with the current formula, and probably a lot more with the new formula coming up for 2017. The race could be 1 or 2 laps shorter tho.

http://i.imgur.com/4qhpQW6.jpg

Sorry, lake.
Turn 6 and 7 change yes, others no. You're killing a switchback in turn 4 and changing it into drs hunting grounds. Last 2 changes also seem completely forced. More 90 degree turns ala abu dhabi and sochi? Thanks, but no thanks.

Shrieker

The last 2 corners ( i mean the real last 2 corners) are extremely hard to follow another car, and severely impede any chance of an overtake on the main straight. A driver on fresh tyres chasing a car with worn tyres has difficulty attacking on the main straight; even with DRS assistance.

Turns 4,5,10 and 11 become pretty clear overtaking spots themselves, as well as becoming launching pads for an overtake on the following corner. Which i think is pretty good in terms of overtaking opportunities.

The run off space (or lack thereof) is also a bit problematic. There is no doubt the track would be a fair bit more dangerous, though F1 goes to circuits that are far more dangerous in terms of barrier proximity. In a couple of places the barriers need a little bit of moving. As with all things tho, this is just a matter of resources.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

GPR-A duplicate2

Shrieker wrote:The last 2 corners ( i mean the real last 2 corners) are extremely hard to follow another car, and severely impede any chance of an overtake on the main straight. A driver on fresh tyres chasing a car with worn tyres has difficulty attacking on the main straight; even with DRS assistance.
Are we getting ourselves confused with the handicapped design of a Merc front, as a generic issue that applies to every other car, and hence Interlagos is bad?

Mercedes cars (W05, W06 and W07) have struggled to follow another car in most of the circuits, where overtaking is NOT EASY, but certainly not very difficult. I don't remember the RB5, 6, 7, 8, 9, with so much of down force, having struggled to follow the car ahead. Definitely not as bad as the Ws.

Interlagos has produced great races, even when the cars had loads of down force. To me, Merc cars are not the best bench marks to determine the overtaking opportunities or lack there of, on a slightly tight circuit.

toraabe

Why not go back to the original layout. ?
Much better flat out for 40 seconds around the oval with just the concrete wall outside, and then the infield.
Fast, spectacular-- dangerous like F1 should be.
Like the old Osterreichring.

And it seems that Old race tracks are more spectacular than the new Tilke tracks.

This is Interlagos in 1988.. Still in it's original layout..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ku17Jg_DciQ

Juzh

GPR-A wrote: Mercedes cars (W05, W06 and W07) have struggled to follow another car in most of the circuits, where overtaking is NOT EASY, but certainly not very difficult. I don't remember the RB5, 6, 7, 8, 9, with so much of down force, having struggled to follow the car ahead. Definitely not as bad as the Ws.
RB5, 6, 7, 8 and 9 had more than 200 bhp less horsepower, making certain corners easy flat and thus it didn't matter if you were in the dirty air. Turn 11 in brazil is a good example. Last year it wasn't flat even in quali (for mercs anyway, I don't know about other cars), whereas in the past they got trough with drs open.

Not to mention all the extra power is making straights shorter than they used to be. V8s were so underpowered in brazil it took forever to get up the hill and so the car behind could easily catch slipstream, especially if he saved some kers. No such thing now anymore.

Manoah2u

changing a track because of a faulty formula format is the most rediculous thing i've read and heard in ages, and i've read some rediculous stuff like halo's, canopies, dodgeflaps, DRS and re-introducing fans in the back.

there's only 1 thing that needs fixing at interlagos and that's thieves attacking f1 personnel, like happened last year and in mexico this year. obviously, this needs fixing to all people in brazil, but can't change the world overnight. Better protection for F1 stardom is where it's at first.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Shrieker

The formula has been compromised heavily in this way at least since 1998 - which is pushing 20 years now; I remember the horrid races with next to no overtaking that season very well. And it hasn't been much different since then, with some seasons as exception. The next couple of seasons are most definitely expected to be worse in terms of dirty air - add to that tires with more life. A lot of tracks have been altered in some way or another to accommodate this; Hungaroring T1 being a good example off the top of my head.

@GPR-A,

I didn't specifically have the mercs. in mind. It could be argued it's worse for the mercs., but everyone knows all cars suffer from this to a significant degree.
-Atatürk

ringo

Rain can spice things up. How is the weather looking?
For Sure!!

GPR-A duplicate2

ringo wrote:Rain can spice things up. How is the weather looking?
A Shower or thunderstorm on Saturday and a downpour on Sunday, as expected by Accuweather.

Saturday
Sunday