2016 Grand Prix of Brazil - Interlagos, 11-13 November

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Just_a_fan

Re: 2016 Grand Prix of Brazil - Interlagos, 11-13 November

djos wrote: I think the old "better lucky than good" saying would apply to a Rosberg WDC win. Personally I think Jenson deserved his WDC more than Rosberg would (and I dont rate him that much, he's good but not great), at least Jenson was the dominant driver in his team that year.
That's the point really. Rosberg hasn't got to this point in the title race by being better, but by having better reliability.

Of course, back in the day when F1 cars were fragile things, titles were often won by being reliable. Indeed, the rules actually accounted for reliability issues by allowing the best results to be used and the worst discarded.

Whatever the background to the title this year, the record books will just show Rosberg as champion. There won't be an asterisk with "lucky bugger" in the margin. :wink:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Andres125sx

wesley123 wrote:
Andres125sx wrote: So it was two big driver mistakes and one glitch in last 2 GPs. In my book that´s loosing the title because of his own mistakes
That off at China wasn't even much of his mistake either. McLaren let him ran absurdly long on the intermediate tires, those tires didn't even have any rubber left under them.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/staticarchive/46e9 ... 833d49.jpg
And he didn´t know?

It was his car and his tires, he perfectly knew how they were performing, and still went too long with those (even if your wall tell you to stay out drivers always have last word). And after that, he went too fast on the pit entry. It´s actually two mistakes not only one :wink:

Do you remember Alonso in Monaco (06 I think). He also went way too long with his tires to the point he had to tame up engine mappings to the point the car assumed it was raining (the rear light started flashing) or maybe he simply had to use a rain mapping. He lost several positions on last 2 laps of the race, but his car didn´t finished on the wall
Last edited by Andres125sx on 16 Nov 2016, 13:30, edited 1 time in total.

Andres125sx

Just_a_fan wrote:
Andres125sx wrote: So it was two big driver mistakes and one glitch in last 2 GPs. In my book that´s loosing the title because of his own mistakes
In his rookie year, having held the reigning double world champion. Indeed he finished ahead of said champion in his rookie year.
TAG wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:
In his rookie year, having held the reigning double world champion. Indeed he finished ahead of said champion in his rookie year.
The Spaniard double world champion. Old wound, apparently never healed.
Off course, I was not commenting on that, I was only using Hamilton example to explain Rosberg behaviour. It would be a noob mistake you can do on your rookie season (if you´re lucky enough to do your first season in F1 with a winning car :wink: ), but Rosberg is far from a rookie, and he did what he had to do, focusing on the real target

Andres125sx

dans79 wrote:
Andres125sx wrote: Are you seriously comparing athletics to F1? :shock: :shock:
You have a screw loose if you don't think the drivers are athletes.
And you have a screw loose if you think you can compare a competition between athletics and a F1 season, as you did when compared an athlete winning all he can, and a F1 driver not assuming uneccessary risks under the rain wich could ruin the whole season and probably the only opportunity to become WDC he´ll enjoy in his career

ChrisDanger

Brazil radio transcripts: relive the action from the pit wall and cockpit.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2016/11/16/2 ... ranscript/

dans79

Andres125sx wrote: And you have a screw loose if you think you can compare a competition between athletics and a F1 season, as you did when compared an athlete winning all he can, and a F1 driver not assuming uneccessary risks under the rain wich could ruin the whole season and probably the only opportunity to become WDC he´ll enjoy in his career
He hasn't pushed at all, not in Austin, Mexico, or Brazil. Did you forget Max's late race attempt at a pass in Mexico, that could have easily ended in a DNF. Despite the fact that Lewis had a big lock up he just, fell back. He could have easily pushed Lewis into an error or mechanical failure and ended it in Mexico.

His margin for error in the UAE is pretty small, a puncture, racing incident, or any minor technical issue, and he will loose the Championship to Lewis, assuming Lewis doesn't have an issue.
197 104 103 7

Just_a_fan

Rosberg asking for info on Hamilton's settings on the parade lap:
PR From Nico Rosberg Give me some feedback on brake balance from the other car on the laps to grid.
PR To Nico Rosberg On the laps to the grid Lewis did start with brake balance at 66%. He obviously moved it rearwards towards the end of his lap. He’s also got brake warming in our position, four.
PR From Nico Rosberg Well is there any chance I can start the race like that.
PR To Nico Rosberg No don’t think so. You will obviously be using the brake warming magic behind the Safety Car.
Doesn't sound like a champion to me... don't understand why he needs to know what brake balance the other car is running.

"Brake warming magic" sounds intriguing though.

dans79

Just_a_fan wrote:"Brake warming magic" sounds intriguing though.
Sounds like some kind of setting that tells the brake by wire system to lightly ride the brakes until they are up to temp.
197 104 103 7

Just_a_fan

dans79 wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:"Brake warming magic" sounds intriguing though.
Sounds like some kind of setting that tells the brake by wire system to lightly ride the brakes until they are up to temp.
I guess so. The BBW is only on the rear axle though so wouldn't help the fronts. Having said that, cold brakes snatch so having warm rears would be a definite benefit.

I wonder if it allows them have throttle and brakes applied at the same time - isn't there a safety system that overrides the throttle if the brakes are pressed? Seem to remember it being mentioned during the Bianchi accident.

dans79

Probably a threshold for that to kick in. I'd assume something like what I described is under it.
197 104 103 7

ringo

I think Hamilton's brake balance is to heat the fronts more than normal, as he probably would like more front end grip?
Maybe he can deal with the rear moving around, but much rather have the front grip in the rain.
I don't think its a BBW setting; the team would have just told rosberg to use it.

By the way, why is Kyvat still driving a formula 1 car? Sainz is making him look useless!
For Sure!!

TwanV

ringo wrote:I think Hamilton's brake balance is to heat the fronts more than normal, as he probably would like more front end grip?
Maybe he can deal with the rear moving around, but much rather have the front grip in the rain.
I don't think its a BBW setting; the team would have just told rosberg to use it.

By the way, why is Kyvat still driving a formula 1 car? Sainz is making him look useless!
He was doing OK until JP chose to sail into him in weatherly fashion. Unlucky once more.

ab_f1

GPR-A wrote:
turbof1 wrote:This piece of thread started, when someone said, Lewis should have spent the time early in the season to fix the issue and then "ChrisDanger" quoted this article when I had a counter question about how are we concluding that it was all driver and not the equipment that is at fault.

There is nothing against Matt and I am just being critical of misleading title, or the information in the article not doing justice to the title of the article.
After the Japanese GrandPrix, Hamilton himself mentioned in some of the interviews how he has spent number of hours in simulator and have found a fix. He also said "only if he would have found it earlier".

Now its a fact that these efforts seem to be paying off. He has had much better starts since then. So whether he found something in his preparation of clutch or changes merc made or a combination, the fact remains it happened when he made a conscious effort to find a resolution towards the issue.

And I still can't get over it....Only if those efforts were made a bit earlier.

Andres125sx

dans79 wrote:
Andres125sx wrote: And you have a screw loose if you think you can compare a competition between athletics and a F1 season, as you did when compared an athlete winning all he can, and a F1 driver not assuming uneccessary risks under the rain wich could ruin the whole season and probably the only opportunity to become WDC he´ll enjoy in his career
He hasn't pushed at all, not in Austin, Mexico, or Brazil.
Because he was leading the WDC with a safe margin
dans79 wrote: Did you forget Max's late race attempt at a pass in Mexico, that could have easily ended in a DNF.
Because he´s not leading the WDC and need to assume risks

dans79 wrote:Despite the fact that Lewis had a big lock up he just, fell back. He could have easily pushed Lewis into an error or mechanical failure and ended it in Mexico.
Or he could have easily pushed himself into an error and ruin this advantage on the WDC with no reason
dans79 wrote:His margin for error in the UAE is pretty small, a puncture, racing incident, or any minor technical issue, and he will loose the Championship to Lewis, assuming Lewis doesn't have an issue.
Exactly, there are more than enough parameters out of his control to even assume more risks pushing under the rain when he does not need it at all

It´s the trailing driver who must assume risks, not the leading driver.

What´s the reason you think they´r competing in F1? To win as many races as they can or to become WDC?

Juzh

Verstappen wrecking the field:
https://vimeo.com/191868632

Mainly from 17:11 onwards. Really worth the watch. Other cars simply didn't stand a chance.