2016 Grand Prix of Brazil - Interlagos, 11-13 November

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
krisfx

Re: 2016 Grand Prix of Brazil - Interlagos, 11-13 November

TwanV wrote:
ringo wrote:I think Hamilton's brake balance is to heat the fronts more than normal, as he probably would like more front end grip?
Maybe he can deal with the rear moving around, but much rather have the front grip in the rain.
I don't think its a BBW setting; the team would have just told rosberg to use it.

By the way, why is Kyvat still driving a formula 1 car? Sainz is making him look useless!
He was doing OK until JP chose to sail into him in weatherly fashion. Unlucky once more.
It's easy to say that "OK" isn't good enough for F1 when so many people are fighting for seats.

I didn't even think Palmer was fast enough to have a crash, though I suppose if you're not fast enough to get heat into the tyres that sort of thing can happen. [-o<

Powy

Juzh wrote:Verstappen wrecking the field:
https://vimeo.com/191868632

Mainly from 17:11 onwards. Really worth the watch. Other cars simply didn't stand a chance.
Thanks for sharing Juzh, that was really fun to watch. I'm surprised by the amount of spray that seems to be generated in front of the wheels.

djos

Juzh wrote:Verstappen wrecking the field:
https://vimeo.com/191868632

Mainly from 17:11 onwards. Really worth the watch. Other cars simply didn't stand a chance.
Wow, we really do have a new RainMaster! =D>
"In downforce we trust"

Manoah2u

BTW, before i totally forget.

During the podium interview,
suddenly there was a clear 'booing' from the crowd. I haven't figured out why that was and to whom it was aimed.

did anybody catch that and has an explenation?
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

PlatinumZealot

GPR-A wrote:
turbof1 wrote:I find your low regard for Matt and his work at Motorsport disturbing. He and Piola put quite a bit of effort in studying the available material on the matter and doing that article. Either you truly have low regard towards it, or you trying to discredit on purpose the article to desparately prove Hamilton is not at fault here. Either way, Matt has more experience and more resources then you. You are not in a position to discredit him.
You are assuming too many things that are not there, when you say I am discrediting him to prove Hamilton is not at fault. The fact that Hamilton went to the factory and simulator says, he is missing something and wants to correct it. That is given.

Now let's just focus on the article and not the author. Here is the topic of the article.

There is nothing against Matt and I am just being critical of misleading title, or the information in the article not doing justice to the title of the article.
In my view Matt is in a good position to have his work presented with Piola's. He is on the big stage now. He is a hard worker but sometimes he extrapolates a bit too much the facts. For the F1 neophyte he can get away with it too but not with us seasoned readers. I used to challenge Scarbs a lot over his tech theories, but the thing with Scarb is, if he doesn't have a direct source, he at least tells you how his theories are derived, so his work tends to feel grounded. I like Matt's drawings but I try to avoid reading his articles as they only make me angry at how he twirls the techical stuff around. All those walls of text but I come away from the table feeling hungry just the same.

I too have the same exact sentiments about that article on the clutch. I was hoping for more insight into how Mercedes found the issue and how the wedge shape helps the release. It is obvious now that the bad launches were because of poor ergonomics of the clutch pedal. It was like eating a burger with chopsticks. Nico just happens to have those big fred flintstone hands that he ends up somehow smashing his fist into it then some bits of the burger get stuck between the sticks so he can gnaw off the globs. Lewis has more slender fingers so he is finger tip style of driver on the controls. He doesn't have those built in ramps of leathery finger flesh that Nico has. This wedge seems to adress that.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

PlatinumZealot

ab_f1 wrote:
GPR-A wrote:
turbof1 wrote:This piece of thread started, when someone said, Lewis should have spent the time early in the season to fix the issue and then "ChrisDanger" quoted this article when I had a counter question about how are we concluding that it was all driver and not the equipment that is at fault.

There is nothing against Matt and I am just being critical of misleading title, or the information in the article not doing justice to the title of the article.
After the Japanese GrandPrix, Hamilton himself mentioned in some of the interviews how he has spent number of hours in simulator and have found a fix. He also said "only if he would have found it earlier".

Now its a fact that these efforts seem to be paying off. He has had much better starts since then. So whether he found something in his preparation of clutch or changes merc made or a combination, the fact remains it happened when he made a conscious effort to find a resolution towards the issue.

And I still can't get over it....Only if those efforts were made a bit earlier.
Well he again come up with a novel clutch pedal design. He has quite a catalogue now of "custom mods" to his cars over the years. The "knee cut" steering wheels was the first one.. then the multi-paddles.. then the broad stalked mirrors (after jenson crashed into him in Canada).. to name a few. These fixes were always borne out of real racing problems. I think this is a good sign of driver development. It reminds me of when Michael Schumacher asked the engineers to put a speedometer to display his peak and minimum speeds in the corners (tho later banned). I really like when drivers inspire these little modifications.

Manoah2u

Manoah2u wrote:BTW, before i totally forget.

suddenly there was a clear 'booing' from the crowd. I haven't figured out why that was and to whom it was aimed.

i'll repeat
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

Fifty

I don't want to take anything away from Ver's drive...
But has anyone taken into account how much newer his tires were than all the people he was passing? I know there were some other newer tires out there, but look at how much someone can attack when their tires are as few as 3-5 laps newer than the other car.

I just think that has a bit to do with it (that and the theory that the other drivers had just given up from disgust, cold...and maybe some fear... but that feeds into how Ver is better at handling --- situations)

Jolle

Fifty wrote:I don't want to take anything away from Ver's drive...
But has anyone taken into account how much newer his tires were than all the people he was passing? I know there were some other newer tires out there, but look at how much someone can attack when their tires are as few as 3-5 laps newer than the other car.

I just think that has a bit to do with it (that and the theory that the other drivers had just given up from disgust, cold...and maybe some fear... but that feeds into how Ver is better at handling --- situations)
Pirelli already made a statement about that, tire wear wasn't a limiting factor what so ever, due to the excessive rain. Also, he wasn't on brand new tires on the end, they used the ones from the start/first stint.

Manoah2u

I do believe him running a lot more in the wet patches has a positive side effect on cooling the tires thus having less wear compared to the competition.

Manoah2u

Manoah2u wrote:

i'll repeat
i'll repeat again.

Jolle

Manoah2u wrote:
Manoah2u wrote:

i'll repeat
i'll repeat again.
Well... the guy who won denied a Brazilian a world title a couple of years ago.. what do you think?

PlatinumZealot

post the source video.. i was listening out for boos but never heard any. The cheered for even Nico. if anybody is to booed its SKY for not using a Brazilian to conduct the interview.

ChrisDanger

Manoah2u wrote:
Manoah2u wrote:

i'll repeat
i'll repeat again.
I also thought I heard what might have been booing, but I don't think it was. Usually when someone gets booed there are multiple stories in the press. I only read that the crowd were chanting "Senna, Senna..." at Verstappen.

Manoah2u

Yeah i heared the Senna part too. Amazing how the Brazilians embrace Max, and have to admit there's not a worthwile Brazilian in the field nor short future.
I just hope Max wil stay alive.

It's funny how Ayrton did the exact same; he just went for it, and if the other one didn't go aside, they'll have the problem. After a while, people rather 'gave up' and
Senna would smash through. I'm already seeing drivers that 'dont bother' battling Max. I felt the most spectacular battle between Max and another driver was
Kvyat in Singapore.

I wonder what the AD GP will bring us!