2016 Grand Prix of Abu Dhabi - Yas Marina, 25-27 November

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
djos

Re: 2016 Grand Prix of Abu Dhabi - Yas Marina, 25-27 November

The_table wrote:Rosberg's engine blowing up would be quite entertaining....
I'd be happy to see him crash while trying to overtake Max! :mrgreen:
Last edited by djos on 17 Nov 2016, 22:13, edited 1 time in total.
"In downforce we trust"

djos

dans79 wrote: I would love to see that, as it would be poetic justice considering Malaysia. I think I'd enjoy reading the irate ramblings of the anti-Hamilton brigade here more than Lewis actually winning.
Oh that would be fun wouldnt it! [-o<
"In downforce we trust"

Shrieker

Hamilton pole, Rosberg gets past at the start, they chase each other. We see who's made of what. Will Rosberg happily relinquish the lead for a safe podium, or will he fight (at least a little bit :wink: ). Then again, if he lets the lead go, he risks getting backed into the pack by Hamilton. Although I think they'll have a meet beforehand within the team to remind the drivers: No games.

In the good old days, it would've been quite plausible for Hamilton to win from such a way back, even with no technical problems to either side. I reminisce of Suzuka '97, where the Ferrari's focked around with Villeneuve. It's sad in a way that Formula 1 is sanitized these days and you can't really play hard. Except for when you're side by side, and sometimes even that becomes maybe...
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Manoah2u

It would put things more on 'equal' grounds to be honest. Imagine Rosberg being P2 all race but then in the last lap in the former last corners he'll blow up his engine like Lewis in Malaysia. just let that soak in for a few seconds.

Lewis P1, and Nico getting in the midst of some unwanted hits and then fighting his way through the field to find himself in P4 and then in the last corner getting P3 making him WDC would be interesting, too however. Then again, the Merc is just too strong to actually have a spar against the competition like that, so really, it's not such a battle.

No, both Lewis and Nico coming together, but Lewis limping to the pits to salvage the car and then fight his way back through the field to get to P3 to get the WDC in the end, with a half-destroyed Merc whilst Verstappen and Ricciardo fight for the win, that would be a crazy final race.

I expect a easy 1-2 AbuDhabi result though.
Meaning, Rosberg smirking into a WDC.

In the meantime, I must say i've grown to the possibility of Nico becoming WDC. I wouldn't specifically say he 'earned' it, but I can definately say i dont think he did NOT earn it. In other words, i'm rather fine by it by now, having seen Lewis going all out to return with a great final battle that unfortunately for him did not make it.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

WaikeCU

Darude - Sandstorm!

Yes, I did it! :D

iotar__

djos wrote:

I'd be happy to see him crash while trying to overtake Max!
:mrgreen:
Quality F1 discussion . There are numerous ways to lose multiple championships:
- pushing the wrong button (Brazil 07)
- going off at the start (Brazil 07)
- ending up in the sand trap after missing 30 kmph corner on the way to pitstop (China '07)
- crashing at the first corner (Massa Monza '10)
- crashing like Singapore '10

Alternatively you can win it by:
- finishing fifth, ~40 s behind your main rival, barely beating Toyota only because it started to rain more 3 s earlier.
- team orders, penalties for your main rival, crashing into him and getting away without them only because a person running this circus wants you to win.

We'll see, it's all the same to me :) .

turbof1

iotar__ wrote:
djos wrote:

I'd be happy to see him crash while trying to overtake Max!
:mrgreen:
- ending up in the sand trap after missing 30 kmph corner on the way to pitstop (China '07)

- finishing fifth, ~40 s behind your main rival, barely beating Toyota only because it started to rain more 3 s earlier.
- team orders, penalties for your main rival, crashing into him and getting away without them only because a person running this circus wants you to win.

Ow look. A completely unbiased list from a completely unbiased person. What would we do without you, iotar.
#AeroFrodo

Phil

Manoah2u wrote:In the meantime, I must say i've grown to the possibility of Nico becoming WDC. I wouldn't specifically say he 'earned' it, but I can definately say i dont think he did NOT earn it. In other words, i'm rather fine by it by now, having seen Lewis going all out to return with a great final battle that unfortunately for him did not make it.
Me too. I think Rosberg would have a WDC title already if... his team-mate hadn't been LH. On the other hand, despite the race starts, I think Lewis has been pretty much flawless this year , except for Baku (tiny tiny tiny mistake by nicking that corner) and Singapore where he just didn't seem to have the pace. Except for that, he's been right on it and very hard to beat, except for those races that were influenced by either a bad race start, a technical issue preventing him on competing in qualifying or the race win that was robbed in Malaysia.

What irks me most about Rosberg winning this years title is that he was very very solid, but I can't help but feel that part of that is due to the mighty advantage the Mercedes has. He won far too many GPs uncontested - because Lewis was way back somewhere in 10th or further down below after the first corner (or because he started there due to the technical glitches in QF). He simply drove off into the distance as anyone would, given the car under him.

I'd feel better about him winning a WDC if there had been some fights or if some of the race had been contested to some degree. For example: in 2014, Hamilton didn't quite ace qualifying, but he sure enough overcame that deficit in the races to beat his team-mate - either by beating him off the line or hunting him down in the race to overtake him. He also overcame the disadvantage of starting the season with a DNF and a 25 point deficit.

2015, he was just flawless. He aced qualifying for the most part and he converted those poles into wins, even though Rosberg was usually close behind and we still got to see a "battle" of sorts.

2016 however; we rarely got to see this. For most part of the season, it was as if there was only one Mercedes car battling itself, either because the other simply blew the start in catastrophic proportions, was handicapped by technical issues in QF and thus started further behind. The only races I thought I saw a convincing Rosberg worthy of the title is Singapore. I don't even count Baku, because that was an easy win handed on a platter by Lewis. He was on it the entire weekend, acing FP1 and FP2 until suddenly things went wrong with obviously the engine mapping, then the small error in QF.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Jordan44

turbof1 wrote:
iotar__ wrote:
djos wrote:
I'd be happy to see him crash while trying to overtake Max! [/b] :mrgreen:

Ow look. A completely unbiased list from a completely unbiased person. What would we do without you, iotar.
Without him I would still be contributing here, but unfortunately his spineless nonsense has driven me away.

It's not just bias. He can see it, you can see it, I can see it, everyone else can. It's trolling and he should have been banned a long time ago.

sosic2121

J0rd4n wrote:
turbof1 wrote:
iotar__ wrote: Quality F1 discussion . There are numerous ways to lose multiple championships:

Without him I would still be contributing here, but unfortunately his spineless nonsense has driven me away.

It's not just bias. He can see it, you can see it, I can see it, everyone else can. It's trolling and he should have been banned a long time ago.
There are so many hardcore biased fans here, but iotar needs to be crucified?

Jordan44

sosic2121 wrote:
J0rd4n wrote:
turbof1 wrote: Ow look. A completely unbiased list from a completely unbiased person. What would we do without you, iotar.

There are so many hardcore biased fans here, but iotar needs to be crucified?
Crucify them all. Now I'll disappear back into my cave.

turbof1

For those people who are getting annoyed by other their comments: we are working on getting a better environment. In the meanwhile, I can advice to use the ignore function. Go to your user control panel, hit the friends&foes tab, click manage foes and fill in the member you wish to ignore. Does not work on moderators, so you are out of luck. This tyrant will keep annoying the christ out of you.
#AeroFrodo

ChrisDanger

turbof1 wrote:... Does not work on moderators, so you are out of luck. This tyrant will keep annoying the christ out of you.
Damn! :lol:

dans79

turbof1 wrote:For those people who are getting annoyed by other their comments: we are working on getting a better environment. In the meanwhile, I can advice to use the ignore function. Go to your user control panel, hit the friends&foes tab, click manage foes and fill in the member you wish to ignore. Does not work on moderators, so you are out of luck. This tyrant will keep annoying the christ out of you.
I would like this if I could! :mrgreen:
197 104 103 7