2017 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, 24 - 26 March

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
iotar__

Re: 2017 FORMULA 1 ROLEX AUSTRALIAN GRAND PRIX Fri 24 – Sun 26 Mar 2017

Mansell89 wrote:
21 Mar 2017, 20:33
If only Sky would get rid of Crofty from the commentary box, we'd be well set for a good season!

Raikonnen to win his 3rd race in Australia this weekend.
" I can't see any other scenario than Mercedes putting Vehrlein in the car." F1 expert M. Brundle = 0, reality = 10000 :-) . Sky commentators are cheap, dishonest salesmen, I guess that's what their audience wants.

- 1 stop, boring race and fuel saving. OK maybe some start drama.
- I still think Merc should be in front of Ferrari although Australia is not a representative track
- things went quiet on suspension controversy front, let's see what happens, maybe that's why Ferrari is closer =P~ ?

Shrieker

Any more track prep. picks from down under ? This is probably the stuff i like the most about the off-season.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Unc1eM0nty

iotar__ wrote:
21 Mar 2017, 21:23
I can't see any other scenario than Mercedes putting Vehrlein in the car." F1 expert M. Brundle
I must admit that I thought the same, I didn't think any team would be stupid enough to let their best drivers leave at such short notice, then along come Williams :wink:

PlatinumZealot

iotar__ wrote:
20 Mar 2017, 12:22
Vasconia wrote:
20 Mar 2017, 10:42
etusch wrote:
18 Mar 2017, 12:18

I think and wish that Bottas will beat hamilton. Bottas looks better than rosberg and...
Better on a wheel to wheel battle yes, but faster? I have my doubts.
- who is this everybody OP was speaking of? Bottas is the 2nd best choice for this seat and Merc has the best pair of drivers out of top 3 (in theory, before on track events)

- What makes you say Bottas is better at wheel to wheel? It's one of the first areas he needs to improve. He used to be a bit passive then started risking with bad results (~end of '15) which shows that you can't switch aggressive approach on and off easily in F1. Spiteful type too (crashing into Raik on purpose, Verst in Baku) and sometimes clumsy (pit crash).

- if he's quick enough over one lap (tenths) or consistently under pressure remains to be seen but it's one of his strengths, along with high speed parts and metronomic and technically clean race pace. One team but I don't recall a good wet race and some tyre problems from time to time (Bahr '16). Should be less problematic in '17 and at Merc.

- IMO he should be fine, bigger problem might be 5 races in a row under scrutiny and dealing with failure. BTW I don't recall many people (even excluding fanatics) saying that Rosberg has elite one lap speed before Merc, I don't want to brag but I want my points ;-) .
Drivers were saying that Rosberg was the fastest German years before Merc. We will see how Bottas Goes. 0.2 seconds behind Lew consistentyl would be average qualy pace like Button was. 0.2 coming out on top once in while means his pace is Ok but not great. 0.2 with triumphs for a quarter to half the times means he is on Rosberg's pace.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

ChrisDanger

Shrieker wrote:
21 Mar 2017, 23:00
Any more track prep. picks from down under ? This is probably the stuff i like the most about the off-season.
Some local sweet-talked his way past security and posted these:

https://imgur.com/gallery/lSWpI

CLKGTR

Australian GP statistics and history overview in pictures

https://maxf1.net/en/australian-gp-prev ... -pictures/

ChrisDanger

Some guy wrote:
Shrieker wrote:
21 Mar 2017, 23:00
https://imgur.com/gallery/lSWpI
Alternatively there's the "pro" version over at AMuS:

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 43785.html

godlameroso

Pirelli thinks it'll be a 2 stop race, 56 laps, 12 on US, 20 on SS, 24 on S or SS.

That's assuming no safety cars or red flag accidents. Someone will be vying for the title of number one crashtor, will it be Stroll, or Kyvyat?
Saishū kōnā

iotar__

godlameroso wrote:
22 Mar 2017, 13:32
Pirelli thinks it'll be a 2 stop race, 56 laps, 12 on US, 20 on SS, 24 on S or SS.

That's assuming no safety cars or red flag accidents. Someone will be vying for the title of number one crashtor, will it be Stroll, or Kyvyat?
- Two stops because only 12 on US? OK. Weren't US close to SS? Not close enough and it was Barcelona I guess. There's probably difference in making harder tyres work too. One team (Sauber? from memory) claimed mediums were useless for them.
- Why them, why not Alonso, Verstappen or Vettel? Menace to society routine again? It would be smart to check who had the most incidents or the worst ones. You'd be surprised how media/crowd created noise differs from reality.

Vasconia

iotar__ wrote:
22 Mar 2017, 13:56
godlameroso wrote:

- Two stops because only 12 on US? OK. Weren't US close to SS? Not close enough and it was Barcelona I guess. There's probably difference in making harder tyres work too. One team (Sauber? from memory) claimed mediums were useless for them.
- Why them, why not Alonso, Verstappen or Vettel? Menace to society routine again? It would be smart to check who had the most incidents or the worst ones. You'd be surprised how media/crowd created noise differs from reality.
First incident will be between Hamilton and Verstappen. :mrgreen:

Phil

how about I predict the following:

Mercedes on pole. Ferrari in 2nd. Ferrari with an extremely good start though, which might make things hairy into turn 1 and turn 2.

Going about predictions though; I think I'm just going to stay with predicting team battles. My predictions for Australia (only qualifying!):

Mercedes: Hamilton > Bottas
Ferrari: Kimi > Vettel (I think Kimi is gonna be fast)
RedBull: Ves > Ric (I hope not though!)
McLaren: Van > Alo (just a hunch)
Renault: Hulk > Palmer
Williams: Massa > Stroll
Force-India: Ocon > Perez (probably not, but hey... it's all in good fun)
Sauber: Wehrlein > Ericsson
Haas F1: Grosjean > Magnussen
Torro-Rosso: Sainz > Kvyat
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

TAG

Phil wrote:
22 Mar 2017, 14:11
I think this hunch depends on who's engine blows up first. :mrgreen:
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

basti313

godlameroso wrote:
Surprising. Fastest strategy due to the SC and no overtaking last year was the Haas 1 stop....I do not expect anything else this year with the more durable tires even for the ones starting on US. My guess is a run to the first stop, whoever stops first is better and then cruise to the end.
godlameroso wrote:
There is only one real Crashtor and he earned it. Not comparable with (multiple) racing incidents. But I guess we will see a SC here, most probably after the start as everyone knows how hard it will be to gain positions on the track.
Don`t russel the hamster!

Sieper

Also VES is VER now. But I am also having trouble with getting that in to my system. I am really not going to predict ( I think it will be Merc and Ferrari on top) but I AM going to stay awake Thursday night for FP1. Can't wait!!

Stroll for now is high on the crash/miles factor. No way around it. Let's wait and see how he fares.

Phil

TAG wrote:
22 Mar 2017, 14:51
Phil wrote:
22 Mar 2017, 14:11
I think this hunch depends on who's engine blows up first. :mrgreen:
:lol: Indeed. But I have to admit, my reasoning was more based on the fact that I was quite impressed how Vandoorne faired when he replaced Alonso last year. And never underestimate a rookie who has nothing to lose, no expectations to fulfill. Then again, in a car as fragile and inconsistent as the McLaren, it might more be down to luck. If the car is extremely hard to drive, I could well imagine the experience of Alonso to annihilate the courage of a rookie over a lap. :oops:
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter