2017 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, 24 - 26 March

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
dans79
dans79
393
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:33 pm
Location: USA

Re: 2017 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, 24 - 26 March

Post

Vasconia wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:54 pm
Yeah, as I have mentioned this reminds me 2000s F1. Battles can be interesting because drivers can push but just imagine yesterday´s race without Hamilton chasing Verstappen or Vettel putting some pressure on Lewis...
That's why I firmly believe Mercedes strategy lost them the race. If they would have left Lewis out, It would have been Like Monaco last year, P2 all over P1 for most of the race, but unable to get by.
173 101 99 7

User avatar
Vasconia
40
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:45 am
Location: Basque Country

Re: 2017 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, 24 - 26 March

Post

dans79 wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:58 pm
Vasconia wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:54 pm
Yeah, as I have mentioned this reminds me 2000s F1. Battles can be interesting because drivers can push but just imagine yesterday´s race without Hamilton chasing Verstappen or Vettel putting some pressure on Lewis...
That's why I firmly believe Mercedes strategy lost them the race. If they would have left Lewis out, It would have been Like Monaco last year, P2 all over P1 for most of the race, but unable to get by.
I guess you are right, though it would be interesting to see how much pace had Vettel in order to attack Lewis.

User avatar
RZS10
227
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:23 am

Re: 2017 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, 24 - 26 March

Post

Rumour has it that the FIA is already considering longer DRS zones

dans79
dans79
393
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:33 pm
Location: USA

Re: 2017 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, 24 - 26 March

Post

RZS10 wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:01 pm
Rumour has it that the FIA is already considering longer DRS zones
From what I have read, Liberty is the one wanting to make changes right away to increase the "spectacle". Additionally just today, Todt fired a "know your place" warning shot.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns36051.html

Looks like we might see a battle on and off the track!
173 101 99 7

User avatar
FrukostScones
193
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 4:41 pm
Location: European Union

Re: 2017 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, 24 - 26 March

Post

RZS10 wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:01 pm
Rumour has it that the FIA is already considering longer DRS zones
Formula Knee Jerk

...edit: Todt!
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Fifty
Fifty
5
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:19 pm

Re: 2017 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, 24 - 26 March

Post

Bring back refueling. Give them small enough of a gas tank that they need to pot twice for fuel.

User avatar
Andres125sx
362
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:15 am
Location: Madrid, Spain

Re: 2017 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, 24 - 26 March

Post

dans79 wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:58 pm
Vasconia wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:54 pm
Yeah, as I have mentioned this reminds me 2000s F1. Battles can be interesting because drivers can push but just imagine yesterday´s race without Hamilton chasing Verstappen or Vettel putting some pressure on Lewis...
That's why I firmly believe Mercedes strategy lost them the race. If they would have left Lewis out...
...Vettel would have undercut him :wink:

I think DeLaRosa hitted the nail in the head at the spanish broadcast, Ferrari and Vettel did it perfect putting some pressure to Lewis before his pitstop closing the gap so they may think Ferrari was going to try an undercut. Then Mercedes may make the mistake of a too early pitstop trying to defend from the undercut, wich they did.

Ferrari did all they could to force Mercedes mistake, and Mercedes made a mistake. But Ferrari deserve some merit because they´re the reason for that mistake

Tire managment, Lewis stuck on traffic, and difficulty to overtake meant the rest of the race was just cruising to the finish line for Vettel

I´ve usually been very critic with Ferrari stragegists, but this time they deserve some merit :)

Wass85
Wass85
-19
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:11 pm

Re: 2017 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, 24 - 26 March

Post

Does anyone think Hamilton is defeatist these days? Crying that it's impossible to overtake yet goes on to say Vettel would have passed him. Which is it Lewis?

User avatar
Andres125sx
362
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:15 am
Location: Madrid, Spain

Re: 2017 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, 24 - 26 March

Post

Wass85 wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:36 pm
Does anyone think Hamilton is defeatist these days? Crying that it's impossible to overtake yet goes on to say Vettel would have passed him. Which is it Lewis?
Did he say on track?

dans79
dans79
393
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:33 pm
Location: USA

Re: 2017 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, 24 - 26 March

Post

Andres125sx wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:27 pm
...Vettel would have undercut him :wink:
This part I disagree with, as Vettel's in, out and first flying laps were all slower than Hamilton's, as I showed earlier in the thread.

Hamilton
1) 1:46.345
2) 1:33.563
3) 1:27.551

Vettel
1) 1:46.995
2) 1:33.830
3) 1:27.726

1.092 total

Vettel's in lap should be a little slower as it was 6 laps later and thus had more tire wear, but inversely his out lap and first flier should have been faster because he was carrying less fuel. I'd almost assume Ferrari has a slight tire heating issue.
173 101 99 7

User avatar
Chene_Mostert
23
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:50 pm

Re: 2017 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, 24 - 26 March

Post

dans79 wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:44 pm
Andres125sx wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:27 pm
...Vettel would have undercut him :wink:
This part I disagree with, as Vettel's in, out and first flying laps were all slower than Hamilton's, as I showed earlier in the thread.

Hamilton
1) 1:46.345
2) 1:33.563
3) 1:27.551

Vettel
1) 1:46.995
2) 1:33.830
3) 1:27.726

1.092 total

Vettel's in lap should be a little slower as it was 6 laps later and thus had more tire wear, but inversely his out lap and first flier should have been faster because he was carrying less fuel. I'd almost assume Ferrari has a slight tire heating issue.
In lap, Vet was behind Williams.
Out lap defending Max.
The facts are clear, no need to speculate.
"Science at its best is an open-minded method of inquiry, not a belief system." - Rupert Sheldrake

User avatar
Chene_Mostert
23
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:50 pm

Re: 2017 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, 24 - 26 March

Post

dans79 wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:58 pm
Vasconia wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:54 pm
Yeah, as I have mentioned this reminds me 2000s F1. Battles can be interesting because drivers can push but just imagine yesterday´s race without Hamilton chasing Verstappen or Vettel putting some pressure on Lewis...
That's why I firmly believe Mercedes strategy lost them the race. If they would have left Lewis out, It would have been Like Monaco last year, P2 all over P1 for most of the race, but unable to get by.
Mercedes AMG F1 lost the race when Lewis failed to open a gap in the first 17 laps.
"Science at its best is an open-minded method of inquiry, not a belief system." - Rupert Sheldrake

dans79
dans79
393
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:33 pm
Location: USA

Re: 2017 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, 24 - 26 March

Post

Chene_Mostert wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:49 pm
Out lap defending Max.
Lol, defending Max, I don't think we watched the same race.

http://www.nbcsports.com/video/sebastia ... g-pit-stop
173 101 99 7

dans79
dans79
393
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:33 pm
Location: USA

Re: 2017 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, 24 - 26 March

Post

Chene_Mostert wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:56 pm
Mercedes AMG F1 lost the race when Lewis failed to open a gap in the first 17 laps.
If you are going to try and troll, try harder you aren't very good at it.
173 101 99 7

pipoloko
pipoloko
0
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:15 pm

Re: 2017 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, 24 - 26 March

Post

what if DRS set is 2 or 3 sec in stead of 1?