2017 Chinese Grand Prix - Shanghai 07-09 April

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
ChrisDanger

Re: 2017 Chinese Grand Prix - Shanghai 07-09 April

Verstappen came very close to losing it behind the safety car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25R0IwGwH0k

Shrieker

Juzh wrote:
11 Apr 2017, 00:43

Audio/telemetry desync coincided with the camera technology upgrade for the 2016 season. Ever since then onboard sound and speedos are out of sync with the actual cars. For whatever reason everything was perfectly in sync for spanish GP last year, but then again was not for all subsequent events to this day.
Juzh,

I'm specifically referring to video/audio desync. You can clearly see the driver upshifting for example, but the sound will arrive later. I've noticed this at times last year as well, but not so frequently, and certainly not on live TV feed (I might've missed if it has happened on a few occasions). But this year unsynced video/audio have been the rule rather than the exception, which is a clear step backwards. I've only on occasion seen the video and the audio in perfect sync, Hamilton's pole lap from this weekend being one of them.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

pipoloko

after analyzing VET/HAM Q3 laps
i would like to point the following facts
crossing white line (MS) VET 307 HAM 310 km/h
VET top speed (main straight)329 vs HAM 328
It looks that VET's car accelerate faster than HAM (in general)
looking some references (pirelli's boards or DHL's boards) in general both speeds are similar
there is another singular point on the longest straight (DRS1)
HAM top speed is 329 and VET is 326
but HAM goes on brakes earlier tham VET (aprox on the 150 mts mark)meanwhile VET starts to brake on the 100 mts mark eventually he got a bit off gas pedal at 150 mts mark
Cars are very similar and there are some small drivers style differences
I believe (and hope) it will a 2017 an exciting season.!!!!!!

Juzh

Shrieker wrote:
11 Apr 2017, 18:42
Juzh wrote:
11 Apr 2017, 00:43

Audio/telemetry desync coincided with the camera technology upgrade for the 2016 season. Ever since then onboard sound and speedos are out of sync with the actual cars. For whatever reason everything was perfectly in sync for spanish GP last year, but then again was not for all subsequent events to this day.
Juzh,

I'm specifically referring to video/audio desync. You can clearly see the driver upshifting for example, but the sound will arrive later. I've noticed this at times last year as well, but not so frequently, and certainly not on live TV feed (I might've missed if it has happened on a few occasions). But this year unsynced video/audio have been the rule rather than the exception, which is a clear step backwards. I've only on occasion seen the video and the audio in perfect sync, Hamilton's pole lap from this weekend being one of them.
As you said, audio will be in sync SOMETIMES, but not often (it's the same for live tv, you just don't notice it because there's other action going on), while telemetry is without exception always ahead of the car by a minimum of 0.3s and sometimes even up to 1s. My best guess would be they've started to transmit audio/telemetry/video on 3 separate channels and each has a different latency/proccessing time or whatever. It's irrelevant really, because it's a huge downgrade to what has been in place before.

Shrieker

Agreed.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Andres125sx

F1NAC wrote:
11 Apr 2017, 08:42
Here is another angle of Sainz making contact with barrier

https://twitter.com/FiftyBuckss/status/ ... 0118337536
True, unbelieveble he finished p7 after that start with SS on the wet, spin and kiss to the wall :o :D

There will be a tough battle in STR this season

RZS10

In the drivers' meeting in Bahrain Vettel got grilled for 22 minutes straight, mainly by Lewis, Fernando and Felipe who expressed how ridiculous it was that there were no consequences especially since Whiting told them to stay within their boxes after Japan last year where RIC was slightly outside the box.

Vettel was very lucky because initially Whiting wanted to abort the start which would have been a start from the pits for Vettel but he reckoned this would be too harsh of a penalty so he forwarded it to the stewards expecting some penalty because according to him it was against the rules.

iotar__

RZS10 wrote:
15 Apr 2017, 01:53
In the drivers' meeting in Bahrain Vettel got grilled for 22 minutes straight, mainly by Lewis, Fernando and Felipe who expressed how ridiculous it was that there were no consequences especially since Whiting told them to stay within their boxes after Japan last year where RIC was slightly outside the box.

Vettel was very lucky because initially Whiting wanted to abort the start which would have been a start from the pits for Vettel but he reckoned this would be too harsh of a penalty so he forwarded it to the stewards expecting some penalty because according to him it was against the rules.
- Surprise, surprise. Doesn't get more obvious that, lack of clear rules excuse was always absurd,
- It's Whiting that should have been grilled, now as always head in the sand, not my fault/business approach.
- Luck had nothing to do with it and everyone knows that.

So I remembered this "slightly" clarification correctly although I thought slightly meant left right.

FrukostScones

RZS10 wrote:

what lame losers, can't handle the more successful, educated german smartass.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

GPR-A duplicate2

FrukostScones wrote:
15 Apr 2017, 12:50
RZS10 wrote:

what lame losers, can't handle the more successful, educated german smartass.
well, you know who the Mafia bosses are now to Charlie. It's the old Ferrari management and even if Vettel would have stood ahead of Lewis, he still wouldn't have been punished. Only lame Ferrari supporters would think otherwise.

RZS10

or maybe they are the senior drivers in the field who usually take a lead role in such discussions ... but don't let common sense cloud your judgement :^)

komninosm

What race was it maybe last year(?) when maybe Massa was like over a meter ahead of the grid line? And no one noticed until too late? (and there was mobile phone photo/vid of it)

F1Krof

Guys, take a look at this:
https://twitter.com/GencGashi/status/861693527427883008 Can this happen?
Wroom wroom

rscsr

F1Krof wrote:
08 May 2017, 23:26
Guys, take a look at this:

https://twitter.com/GencGashi/status/861693527427883008

Can this happen?
no, I don't think so. When you watch his steering wheel, a blue light right beside the display goes on when DRS is activated. And on his pole lap that light turned only on when he was past the DRS line.
I think that the overlay might be using his button press, or is even turning on automatically, since they use DRS whenever the are allowed to do so anyway.

Juzh

Telemetry is out of sync by about 0.8s, thats all.