2017 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, April 14-16

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
zibby43

2017 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, April 14-16

On to Bahrain!

Track Map:

Onboard Lap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlNgLvvpkaI
Last edited by zibby43 on 11 Apr 2017, 10:32, edited 1 time in total.

GPR-A duplicate2

Re: 2017 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, April 14-16

Bahrain will show the new cars in fully glory of their downforce. Except for turn 8 and 10, every corner will see increased speed and some corners like 2 and 4 would definitely see a far more attacking driving. Until now, it was already a power hungry circuit and now with increased downforce, which in turn requires increased throttle application, engines, specifically the hybrids gets far more demand than ever. A good PU is going to make enarmous difference.

This circuit should establish, where the Merc and Ferrari PUs stands in competition to each other.

Vasconia

I agree, plus the weather should be quite predictable so we will see the real difference between Mercedes and Ferrari. I hope Ferrari can win this one.

Pole:

1. Hamilton
2. Vettel
3. Raikkonen
4. Bottas
5. Ricciardo
6. Verstappen

Race:

1. Vettel
2. Hamilton
3. Verstappen
4. Sainz
5. Ricciardo
6. Hulkenberg
7. Massa
8. Alonso
9. Kyvat
10. Perez

A DNF for Kimi and Bottas after a clash.

BosF1

Lap record: 1:31,447 (Pedro de la Rosa, 2005)
Fastest lap: 1:29,493 (Lewis Hamilton, Q3, 2016)

Pole time 2016: 1:29,493 (Lewis Hamilton)
Fastest lap in race 2016: 1:34,482 (Nico Rosberg)
Fastest speed trap in race 2016: 340.5 km/h (Lewis Hamilton)

WaikeCU

Hoping for a repeat of 2014 dogfight, but now with Lewis and Seb. Can't wait.

I think this one will be for Lewis again, because it's a evening race right now, it should be a lot cooler track temp, which is good for the Merc.

WaikeCU

BosF1 wrote:
11 Apr 2017, 10:00
Lap record: 1:31,447 (Pedro de la Rosa, 2005)
Fastest lap: 1:29,493 (Lewis Hamilton, Q3, 2016)

Pole time 2016: 1:29,493 (Lewis Hamilton)
Fastest lap in race 2016: 1:34,482 (Nico Rosberg)
Fastest speed trap in race 2016: 340.5 km/h (Lewis Hamilton)
Prediction:

Pole time 2017: 1:24,9 (Lewis Hamilton)
Fastest lap in race 2017: 1:29,2 (Sebastian Vettel)
Fastest speed trap in race 2017: 336 km/h (Lewis Hamilton)

iotar__

Vasconia wrote:
11 Apr 2017, 09:45
I agree, plus the weather should be quite predictable so we will see the real difference between Mercedes and Ferrari. I hope Ferrari can win this one.
Disagree:
- real difference is already known at this stage, back to back race on the same tyres won't change much
- Bahrain was more interesting in recent years because it's a night race with less predictable tyre behaviour and possible overtaking.
- Two stopper worked in China despite low deg because overtaking was possible, there was pace difference between softest compounds and mediums were useless. Might be the same here.

SectorOne

Im guessing front row for Merc, which will secure the win as i think Bottas could possibly work as a gatekeeper delaying Vettel's charge.

Raikkonen will be forgotten all race as usual.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

ME4ME

Bill_Kar

I feel like I should doubt whether we know the real difference or not.
-In China, we didn't see how Mercs or Ferraris work on the softest compound.
-We definitely saw the harder compound, but it was never close combat for Vet or Ham, Australia or China.They were just cruising and "bullying" each other to the end.

As far I can see, on the harder compound, Mercs are still ahead.As long as tyres don't blister, Mercedes is the car to beat.
But, Hamilton is obliged (well, kind of) to start on the softest compound -that being SS- and put some laps with it.I think that Hamilton's pace on the first stint will be the decisive factor, other things equal.
So, I can see a difference between China and Bahrain.And that is the first stint on the SS which was absent in China.

And of course now we need to balance some things like Bahrain being a power circuit, being hard on the brakes, being hot and not muggy, being rear-end.
Taking the characteristics into account, I think Mercedes will come on top again.I think Bahrain flatters their car.

Some cheap shots
Quali
1.Hamilton
2.Bottas
3.Vettel

Bottas NEEDS to come back by pushing the Ferrari into second row.Just making their work difficult

Race
1.Hamilton
2.Vettel
3.Bottas

giantfan10

Bill_Kar wrote:
11 Apr 2017, 13:28
-We definitely saw the harder compound, but it was never close combat for Vet or Ham, Australia or China.They were just cruising and "bullying" each other to the end.

As far I can see, on the harder compound, Mercs are still ahead.As long as tyres don't blister, Mercedes is the car to beat.
But, Hamilton is obliged (well, kind of) to start on the softest compound -that being SS- and put some laps with it.I think that Hamilton's pace on the first stint will be the decisive factor, other things equal.
So, I can see a difference between China and Bahrain.And that is the first stint on the SS which was absent in China.

And of course now we need to balance some things like Bahrain being a power circuit, being hard on the brakes, being hot and not muggy, being rear-end.
Taking the characteristics into account, I think Mercedes will come on top again.I think Bahrain flatters their car.

Some cheap shots
Quali
1.Hamilton
2.Bottas
3.Vettel

Bottas NEEDS to come back by pushing the Ferrari into second row.Just making their work difficult

Race
1.Hamilton
2.Vettel
3.Bottas
The Mercedes is better on the harder tire based on what exactly?This is 2017 not 2014-2016.
Warm weather does not flatter the Mercedes and i suspect their tire chewing issue seen in Australia will rear its ugly head again in Bahrain in higher temperatures than Australia.
Based on the 2 races this year all we know is that the Mercedes driven by Hamilton is less than 2 tenths faster than the Ferrari driven by Vettel in qualifying. Race pace is absolutely on par.
The Ferrari is less affected by turbulent air when following another car.
Those are the facts.Anything else is spin to sway the arguement towards the team that you are a fan of.

giantfan10

Bill_Kar wrote:
11 Apr 2017, 13:28

Some cheap shots
Quali
1.Hamilton
2.Bottas
3.Vettel

Race
1.Hamilton
2.Vettel
3.Bottas
From Hamilton: which basically negates your spin about bahrain flattering the Mercedes.:

“Being that it’s often a warmer race, Ferrari is very good in hotter conditions,” said Hamilton.
Shanghai saw very low track temperatures of less than 15C on race day. “These were quite good conditions with our car,” said Hamilton.
Hamilton believes his car’s performance in warmer conditions will “definitely be better than it was in Melbourne”, where Sebastian Vettel’s Ferrari outraced him to victory.“When it steps up in temperature, so far in the first race it’s been shown as not the greatest for us just yet, so we’re just learning on the tyres.”
Hamilton believes his car’s performance in warmer conditions will “definitely be better than it was in Melbourne”, where Sebastian Vettel’s Ferrari outraced him to victory.

BanMeToo

I say it every year but it's so dumb that this is a night race now. Sorry. IMO.

But I'm excited for a good one, and only a week after China 8) :D

Bill_Kar

Weather isn't the only factor.So high temp=Ferrari's race ,low temp=Mercedes' race is naive.
As I mentioned before, there is braking,power, rear-end circuit.Why it should sway towards Ferrari?
Couple of points:

-Higher temperature than Australia?
It isn't THAT hot. It isn't hotter than Australia was, two weeks ago.
Ever since Bahrain switched to night race (2014 onwards), lowest temperature recorded on race day was 26 Celsius and the highest was 31 Celsius.31 Celsius was the lowest temperature in Australia.
-Even in Australia, Hamilton and Bottas had absolutely no problem with the softs.
Rewatching the race, you can see that in the first stint (SS) Bottas had not the pace to slip away from Kimi.When Softs came in, he increased the gap easily.
So even with high temperatures, the harder compound is going to work in the hands of Mercedes drivers.In what extend, no one knows.

F1NAC

BAsed on last years results (which can be totally irrelevant), Ferrari could be very close here to Mercedes. In fact closer than in Australia and China. Last year Seb had gap in quali at china and oz about 8 tenths and then in Bahrain less, like half a second or so. Could be close. Then again like I said, that can be irrelevant.

But watching this years Ferrari is another story on traction(yes bigger tyres). watching Vettel following Ricciardo on the exit from 3,4 and then overtake in 6. In other years RB would just pull away