2017 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku, 23-25 June

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
godlameroso

Re: 2017 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku, 23-25 June

Everyone criticizes Tilke for having 90 degree corners, but 90 degree corners are hard to nail, especially on exits.
Saishū kōnā

Manjhi

I am expecting a threatening statement on saturday from helmut.

Mercedes powered cars and Ferrari team will dominate this circuit. Will be interesting to see how well will Lewis drive through this circuit, last year he was struggling a lot and couldn't get a clear lap. This year they have a even wider car but with some serious grip.

Force India & Massa in Williams will be favourite for podium here, along with Ferrari, and I am expecting Stroll to score some points as well.

Alonso fans will have one more depressing race.

i70q7m7ghw

This was a pretty dull race last year, I don't expect this to change again this year. If anything, with wider cars it's going to be impossible to overtake here. Whoever leads after the first lap will win the race.

giantfan10

Diesel wrote:
13 Jun 2017, 19:39
This was a pretty dull race last year, I don't expect this to change again this year. If anything, with wider cars it's going to be impossible to overtake here. Whoever leads after the first lap will win the race.
Impossible to overtake with a massive tow and DRS on those long straights? You may need to rethink that point of view.

godlameroso

Clear weekend, no rain expected so far, will advise if the model changes.
Saishū kōnā

Jordan44

giantfan10 wrote:
13 Jun 2017, 21:31
Diesel wrote:
Impossible to overtake with a massive tow and DRS on those long straights? You may need to rethink that point of view.

It didn't make any difference last year. What an awful procession that was.

i70q7m7ghw

J0rd4n wrote:
14 Jun 2017, 04:31
giantfan10 wrote:
Diesel wrote:

Indeed. Teams can tweak the ERS delivery to stretch their legs on the straights just enough to make overtaking too difficult, they will lose out everywhere else but it won't matter because you can't overtake anywhere else.

Vasconia

Last year the race was dull but this time I hope that Hamilton will perform better. I obviously want to see a competitive Ferrari here, last year they weren´t so strong on qualy but I hope they can close the gap now. A Mercedes pole is quite sure, though.

WaikeCU

To me it's a very dangerous circuit especially the last sector. Flat out high speed turns. If something happens I don't want to know the consequences. It's just a circuit to showoff the city. I really dislike the ideas of in between concrete walls, blind, high speed turns. There's no escape route whatsoever. Dario Franchitti's career ending crash, anyone?

GPR-A duplicate2

J0rd4n wrote:
giantfan10 wrote:
Diesel wrote:

The cars are more draggier than last year, so you can expect a tow and DRS to play bigger role this year. Unlike last year, cars with higher downforce levels, would get a good exit from the last corner. If I remember correct, it was only Force India that was difficult to overtake here. Renault and Honda are going to be sitting ducks here. We can expect Mercedes/Ferrari followed by Force India (because they exit the slow corners better) and then Williams.

If one really believes what @Juzh has been telling from the beginning of the season, Mercedes energy story should have more juice than Ferrari for this long straight. Let's see who produces more power. This track should clearly answer that. Expecting to see THE LEANEST rear wing on Red Bull.

PlatinumZealot

J0rd4n wrote:
giantfan10 wrote:
Diesel wrote:

It can be magical if they tweak the final corner a bit. Make it more punishing so that mistakes will really hurt you on the straight.. a bit like how Montreal has a tricky last corner before the straight.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

ENGINE TUNER

No ultrasoft this year? I thought pirelli would have learned their lesson, but it may well be another procession like last year because they are not bringing the most aggressive tires.

I actually like this track, I like that the long full throttle blast forces the teams to run low DF and compromises them for S1 & S2.

Jordan44

GPR-A wrote:
14 Jun 2017, 11:33
J0rd4n wrote:
giantfan10 wrote:

The cars are more draggier than last year, so you can expect a tow and DRS to play bigger role this year. Unlike last year, cars with higher downforce levels, would get a good exit from the last corner. If I remember correct, it was only Force India that was difficult to overtake here. Renault and Honda are going to be sitting ducks here. We can expect Mercedes/Ferrari followed by Force India (because they exit the slow corners better) and then Williams.

If one really believes what @Juzh has been telling from the beginning of the season, Mercedes energy story should have more juice than Ferrari for this long straight. Let's see who produces more power. This track should clearly answer that. Expecting to see THE LEANEST rear wing on Red Bull.
What did Juzh tell us? Haven't been around here that much this season.

marmer

Lap times might not improve compared to last year. Tight corners will be slower in wider cars and more draggy will keep speeds down on straights. I would expect a couple of people to hit the walls in qualification in the tight bit 8 to 12

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Juzh

J0rd4n wrote:
15 Jun 2017, 02:13
GPR-A wrote:
14 Jun 2017, 11:33
J0rd4n wrote:

What did Juzh tell us? Haven't been around here that much this season.
That even though Ferrari's total power output might be similar to mercedes (or by small chance even surpass it), the amount of time they can sustain that level is still nowhere near merc's capabilities, and it will show on this track, as it has numerous times already this season.