2017 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku, 23-25 June

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: 2017 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku, 23-25 June

Yeah that part. I saw it as the mercedes being more affected in dirty air than the Ferrari.

Hamilton could match Vettels times and go faster but only after backing off. I just didnt see Ham making it past without a Vettel mistake. And a Vettel mistake was not going to happen on that stint. Vet was in the zone. I was actually impressed with his driving.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Moose

Honestly, I saw that simply as Hamilton lacking a few points of downforce at the back, since a chunk of his diffuser had been knocked off. Bottas was still able to pull away, and was running fine in dirty air behind other cars. Hamilton just seemed to be struggling a little for pace.

siskue2005

Moose wrote:
27 Jun 2017, 04:07
Honestly, I saw that simply as Hamilton lacking a few points of downforce at the back, since a chunk of his diffuser had been knocked off. Bottas was still able to pull away, and was running fine in dirty air behind other cars. Hamilton just seemed to be struggling a little for pace.
Yes correct
And also i think they should have changed Lewis' tyres when they came for headrest change. It could have given Lewis an edge in the battle and wiuld have easily come up to 2nd in the process

NathanOlder

I think with the tyre deg so low, tyre change was worth nothing. Plus it would have added another 14 people minimum around the car at a time when they were rushing to change a part.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Manoah2u

Yeah, i dont get how they did not change the tires during the headrest change.
that would have eased him up a bit, perhaps even managed him to overtake ocon whilst vettel pitted and ended up in front of him.

and indeed, whilst vettel's damage was repaired by replacing the front wing, hamilton had to race with a damaged floor.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

iotar__

PlatinumZealot wrote:
27 Jun 2017, 03:44
Yeah that part. I saw it as the mercedes being more affected in dirty air than the Ferrari.
- Of course Mercedes is more affected #-o . Why and how? Doesn't matter because it's another weird excuse for a driver. Was track going upwards only for them? Just like diffuser claim above. Other side and very real Ferrari's front wing damage = didn't exists.
- Life is simple: Ferrari and Mercedes had similar race pace in Baku, you're slower when you're behind, equally for both

- I wonder what it takes to get a penalty in '17. Several cases (Raikkonen) but let's limit it to Ocon. That was almost as bad as Sainz in Canada, as bad as Vettel here but more dangerous (speed, wall) and costly, took out Perez out of the race. Ignoring no hope driving doesn't add quality, skill-less drivers will try stupid moves because why not.

- Have you noticed how this 1000 times worse event for Force India is treated by the media? No dramatic questions by Buxton, no menace to society headlines like for Perez. Absurd coverage of F1 and another sponsored promotion, special treatment driver (Wolff).

My favourite part of the race:
"Guys, if Valterri can't catch the man ahead, tell him to slow down a bit to cause a bad wake".
- What a team player Hamilton is. Come on Lewis not slowing down again :D , this is getting ridiculous.
- Forget about your race buddy, help me by slowing the other driver. That's the role of Bottas now at Mercedes.

Phil

Hamilton was already on the freshest set - the set he did not use in Q3.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Manoah2u

iotar__ wrote:
27 Jun 2017, 09:27

My favourite part of the race:
"Guys, if Valterri can't catch the man ahead, tell him to slow down a bit to cause a bad wake".
- What a team player Hamilton is. Come on Lewis not slowing down again :D , this is getting ridiculous.
- Forget about your race buddy, help me by slowing the other driver. That's the role of Bottas now at Mercedes.
you're such a drama queen, and not even able to reason for yourself in your own statements.

"Guys, IF valterri can't catch the man ahead....."

What part of that don't you understand.
Valterri DID catch them ahead and was able to overtake them, so that's why nothing happened.
if valterri did NOT catch them, then it is more than wise to 'wake' vettel so lewis might overtake him so the team gets more points, as there was nothing left for Valtteri to gain.

that did not happen becuase Valtteri did catch the man ahead.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

marvin78

Nevertheless that question by HAM does not match his interviews, where he says, that he does not like teamorder and that he sees himself as a real racer who does the things by himself.

It only shows that all the drivers think and do the same to win. That's more than ok.

Wass85

Vettel got off very lightly but nobody has picked up on the point that Vettel hitting him was a blessing in disguise for Hamilton.

With or without that incident Hamilton would have still encountered that problem with his headrest which meant Vettel would have won the race whilst he wouldn't make the podium, thankyou Sebastian.

WaikeCU

I really did not understand why under the red flag Kimi and Perez were back in the race and were released on track while the whole field is in the pitlane? Why not move those two to the back of the pack in the pitlane and continue?

turbof1

WaikeCU wrote:
27 Jun 2017, 12:49
I really did not understand why under the red flag Kimi and Perez were back in the race and were released on track while the whole field is in the pitlane? Why not move those two to the back of the pack in the pitlane and continue?
Now WaikeCU, calm down. You are being way too logical and you are making way too much sense. Let's try to ignore that before the FIA does something rational :D .

In all seriousness: I think this is probably one guy hammering on the table with his fists "it has to be done right! He has to unlap himself! Why will nobody listen to me!" while the others try to reason in vain. That or there's no function to add one lap to a driver's count without having said driver drive around the track. Maybe they'll have a +1L button next time.

(Man, this has to be the weirdest race in a few years. That's asteroid field levels of chaos.)
#AeroFrodo

Big Mangalhit

But I think they were still one lap behind after the red flag, no? Now I'm confused

turbof1

Big Mangalhit wrote:
27 Jun 2017, 13:12
But I think they were still one lap behind after the red flag, no? Now I'm confused
I believe they were 2 laps down when the race got red flagged.
#AeroFrodo

WaikeCU

turbof1 wrote:
27 Jun 2017, 13:05
WaikeCU wrote:
27 Jun 2017, 12:49
Now WaikeCU, calm down. You are being way too logical and you are making way too much sense. Let's try to ignore that before the FIA does something rational :D .

In all seriousness: I think this is probably one guy hammering on the table with his fists "it has to be done right! He has to unlap himself! Why will nobody listen to me!" while the others try to reason in vain. That or there's no function to add one lap to a driver's count without having said driver drive around the track. Maybe they'll have a +1L button next time.

(Man, this has to be the weirdest race in a few years. That's asteroid field levels of chaos.)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Kudos to the Ferrari mechanics for rebuilding the back end and floor of that car in a jiffy, but they did forgot one important aspect of the car:

I mean seriously, who knew Kimi can't drive without a steering wheel? :roll: