2017 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Hamilton vs Vettel incident

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
NathanOlder

Re: 2017 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Hamilton vs Vettel incident

Others will still want to discuss this,

But feel free to not come back in if you don't feel the need.

I hope one of the drivers in the press conference on Thursday has the guts to ask a question towards Charlie or Jean,

"Am I right in thinking if I deliberately drive my car into one of my opponents, I will only be given a 10 second stop go"
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

motobaleno

Manoah2u wrote:
03 Jul 2017, 20:39

- Vettel drove alongside lewis without his hands on the steering wheel - dangerous driving - penalized.
So I expect 10s stop and go for lewis dangerously driving when trying to hold his headrest

Incidentally: that's also unsafe release you should know...

marvin78
marvin78

Please read this thread. There is nothing, that has not been said. Even the current outcome has been discussed. So what's the point of circling around here?

It's a well meant advice: Move on. It's better for everyone's heart ;)

dans79

motobaleno wrote:
03 Jul 2017, 21:16
So I expect 10s stop and go for lewis dangerously driving when trying to hold his headrest

Incidentally: that's also unsafe release you should know...
I take it you missed the part where Lewis was told the team was instructed to pit?
197 104 103 7

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

So a driver can now drive in to another on purpose and so long as he says "sorry" it's all good.

Unbelievable. Just unbelievable.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Xwang
Xwang

NathanOlder wrote:
03 Jul 2017, 21:13
Others will still want to discuss this,

But feel free to not come back in if you don't feel the need.

I hope one of the drivers in the press conference on Thursday has the guts to ask a question towards Charlie or Jean,

"Am I right in thinking if I deliberately drive my car into one of my opponents, I will only be given a 10 second stop go"
The FIA statement says:
"... Nevertheless, in noting the severity of the offence and its potential negative consequences, FIA President Todt made it clear that should there be any repetition of such behaviour, the matter would immediately be referred to the FIA International Tribunal for further investigation. ..."
It should apply to any driver, not only Vettel.

Xwang
Xwang

It's like VES defensive manoeuvrers of last years.
They were not explicitly forbidden till before Mexico.

TAG

Ferrari is proud to announce Prozac as a new sponsor. Let's go talk about Austria!
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

motobaleno

NathanOlder wrote:
03 Jul 2017, 21:13

I hope that charlie or Jean will answer
"yes as long as you don't cause any damage to your opponent you will be given ONLY 10 seconds stop and go"
I'm sure that on sundays we will have plenty of drivers eager to receive such a LITTLE penalty so harmless for their championship... #-o

drunkf1fan
drunkf1fan

Xwang wrote:
03 Jul 2017, 21:01

I don't agree with you:
1) this kind of incidents from this year are considered race incidents and no penalties have been given to nobody (otherwise BOT and VES should have already been at home).
2 and 3 ) have been punished with 10s stop and go and 3 points from the licence.
4) only speaking of this is ridiculous (if any 10 cm of overtaking for 1 second and position immediately given back).
5) FIA today has decided that the sport has not been discredited with his behaviour.
Can't agree with that at all, Bottas got pushed inside by Kimi, he had Vettel behind, it was the first lap so braking early would be risky. It was a genuine racing incident and quite unlucky, I don't think Kimi had to, but could have gone a touch wider in the corner, he was after all the guy making the pass, which was always going to push Bottas to the inside of the corner there.

Verstappen, are you talking about Canada, if so there is a good replay from one angle that shows at the time Verstappen clipped, Vettel's wing Vetsappen was very wide and Vettel had space on his inside, Vettel didn't notice him and went wider than he could have. He has a habit of turn 1 incidents in the past couple of years where he'll pick one line going into the first corner but change lines through the corner. So many drivers lately seem to forget the possibility of someone being inside/outside them, or outside the driver next to them. Like Max up the inside at Spa, Kimi alongside him and Vettel outside, he didn't realise Max was there so he cut to the middle of the track on exit which squeezed Kimi into Max.

One of the biggest problems now is Todt, apart from seeming to be biased as hell, he's not doing a professional job. When you investigate something like the swearing at Charlie he gave what was worded to sound like a suspended sentence, a if you do something this bad again then you'll definitely get a worse punishment. But he didn't make that official, and he's done it again. So next time he's just as free to say well, this is bad, if you do it again we'll get you.

Both after the swearing at Charlie incident and the current incident there should be an official reprimand that includes an statement about a further braking of the rules receiving some kind of penalty. As it is, this is as useless as the first time when Todt said something similar, in effect, don't be naughty again.. or else... nothing.

motobaleno

drunkf1fan wrote:
03 Jul 2017, 21:25

It was a genuine racing incident and quite unlucky,
It seems that bottas is having many unlucky genuine racing incidents recently...all of them resulting in a damaged ferrari
of course this is a completely unwanted outcome #-o

AnotherAlex
AnotherAlex

The righteous indignation is hilarious.
It was a bumping of wheels behind the safety car, for which Vettel was punished by the stewards. (Some people get less for running another driver off the road up the hill from Raidillon at 200mph.)

NathanOlder

motobaleno wrote:
03 Jul 2017, 21:30
drunkf1fan wrote:

It was a genuine racing incident and quite unlucky,
It seems that bottas is having many unlucky genuine racing incidents recently...all of them resulting in a damaged ferrari
of course this is a completely unwanted outcome #-o

#-o #-o
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Xwang
Xwang

drunkf1fan wrote:
Xwang wrote:
03 Jul 2017, 21:01

I don't agree with you:
1) this kind of incidents from this year are considered race incidents and no penalties have been given to nobody (otherwise BOT and VES should have already been at home).
2 and 3 ) have been punished with 10s stop and go and 3 points from the licence.
4) only speaking of this is ridiculous (if any 10 cm of overtaking for 1 second and position immediately given back).
5) FIA today has decided that the sport has not been discredited with his behaviour.
Can't agree with that at all, Bottas got pushed inside by Kimi, he had Vettel behind, it was the first lap so braking early would be risky. It was a genuine racing incident and quite unlucky, I don't think Kimi had to, but could have gone a touch wider in the corner, he was after all the guy making the pass, which was always going to push Bottas to the inside of the corner there.

Verstappen, are you talking about Canada, if so there is a good replay from one angle that shows at the time Verstappen clipped, Vettel's wing Vetsappen was very wide and Vettel had space on his inside, Vettel didn't notice him and went wider than he could have. He has a habit of turn 1 incidents in the past couple of years where he'll pick one line going into the first corner but change lines through the corner. So many drivers lately seem to forget the possibility of someone being inside/outside them, or outside the driver next to them. Like Max up the inside at Spa, Kimi alongside him and Vettel outside, he didn't realise Max was there so he cut to the middle of the track on exit which squeezed Kimi into Max.

One of the biggest problems now is Todt, apart from seeming to be biased as hell, he's not doing a professional job. When you investigate something like the swearing at Charlie he gave what was worded to sound like a suspended sentence, a if you do something this bad again then you'll definitely get a worse punishment. But he didn't make that official, and he's done it again. So next time he's just as free to say well, this is bad, if you do it again we'll get you.

Both after the swearing at Charlie incident and the current incident there should be an official reprimand that includes an statement about a further braking of the rules receiving some kind of penalty. As it is, this is as useless as the first time when Todt said something similar, in effect, don't be naughty again.. or else... nothing.
Bottas had plenty of space given by Kimi, but he wanted to go faster than he could having Kimi car in front and on the external and he decided to go full speed on the kerb.

As far as Verstappen have you forgotten last year defence at Spa against Kimi at 300km/h. It was IMHO the second riskiest and unsportsmanlike manoeuvrer after Senna deliberate crash with Prost at Suzuka 1990.

iotar__

"Vettel issues apology to F1 Fans, Hamilton..."
A. Shocking outcome
B. I want my points :) , FIA is too predictable. Except for new definitions of steady deceleration and hypocrisy: Rosberg Spain '16 not steady, LH Baku, Verstappen '16 Spa & Hungary perfectly steady.
C. what a waste of time
AnotherAlex wrote:
03 Jul 2017, 21:35
The righteous indignation is hilarious.
It was a bumping of wheels behind the safety car, for which Vettel was punished by the stewards. (Some people get less for running another driver off the road up the hill from Raidillon at 200mph.)
In general that's true, not worth further discussion nor action but said wheel "bumping":
- happened under SC
- was not part of racing
- was a stupid retaliation