2017 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, 14-16 July

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
gastonmazzacane

Re: 2017 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, 14-16 July

Stormy wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 22:23
All the issues Merc had are no more. No tire issues, no aero issues in slow corners, NOTHING.
Ferrari are out-developed again. We'll see in Hungary but it looks like they have to work extremely hard during the summer break.
It's called ''a break'' for a reason. :)

Just_a_fan

komninosm wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 22:40
Just_a_fan wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 22:04
https://youtu.be/lNk9c9ddSLw
I saw that, it's not a good angle.
Anyone got any others?
It looks like VET pushed BOT off track.
I'm sorry, perhaps you could do your own Google searches in future... :roll:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan

Jano11 wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 22:52
Stormy wrote:
All the issues Merc had are no more. No tire issues, no aero issues in slow corners, NOTHING.
Ferrari are out-developed again. We'll see in Hungary but it looks like they have to work extremely hard during the summer break.
The problem is, they are not really allowed to work during the summer break, at least that's the intent of the rules.
It's not the intent of the rules, it's the actual rules. Shut down the factory for the break. If Ferrari don't do just that then they'll be cheating. Of course, it's impossible for the FIA to know what everyone is doing all the time...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

maxxer

So was there another mclaren dnf because of a mclaren part

Fifty

maxxer wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 23:24
So was there another mclaren dnf because of a mclaren part
Lol... unleash the kraken

ClarkBT11

Just_a_fan wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 23:07
Jano11 wrote:
Stormy wrote:
The problem is, they are not really allowed to work during the summer break, at least that's the intent of the rules.
It's not the intent of the rules, it's the actual rules. Shut down the factory for the break. If Ferrari don't do just that then they'll be cheating. Of course, it's impossible for the FIA to know what everyone is doing all the time...
The teams can work for two weeks​ in the summer break, also they must close the factory for two weeks. It's up to the team to which order they want work or take a break first.

RZS10

Shrieker wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 22:38
To be fair to him, full right lock was to catch the rear of the car and prevent a spin.
i know, i just think that it was funny ... as you said, it was a chain reaction - he had to catch it because he was too quick and on a bad line, he was too quick because he went too wide onto the grass and he was there because he went for a stupid overtake and he went for that overtake because he could not handle losing the position to his team mate

Restomaniac

Just_a_fan wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 23:07
Jano11 wrote:
Stormy wrote:
Indeed. However Mercedes are not stupid so you can be sure that if they assume that Ferrari are not taking their 'break' neither will Mercedes.

Manoah2u

Great Race by Lewis, deserved win.
Great work by Mercedes, like lauda said, they're back and Ferrari is on the back foot now.
Great race by Bottas, started further back and did great and got p3 in the bag then was given a p2 which he MIGHT even snatched in the last laps.
Great work by Max, finally no DNF, and some stellar driving. Too bad the team pitted him. i dont know if he actually HAD a puncture or the team was avoiding what Kimi and VET ran into, but if he stayed out and released the throttle just slightly, he would have been on that podium i think. still, i dont have all the data.
Funny how 3 cars got those tire issues so short notice. perhaps there was something on the track, who knows.

I personally think it was a bit too coincidental that Vettel and Raikkonen, especially SEB with the strain he put on his tires. some big flat spots and wear on those, perhaps a bit too much in the end? good for the championship though. tough luck, but hey, so had max, so had lewis, so had others.

Hulkenberg great driving, just showing the capacity of that Renault. bad luck or not, please dump palmer asap.
Ricciardo great driving too. stupid mistake in the first part of the race, yet done absolutely fantastic throughout.
Kvyat not doing himself good.
Too bad for Alonso, but well, it was not the result to be hoping for anyway would he have finished either way.

Also, great to see JB on the podium there, would have loved to see him there in a race. miss the bloke.

Wehrlein and Ericsson borefest of the century, and though Grosjean is a whiny sore bloke, i agree that he should have left room for Romain there.

Stroll and Massa grey, what happened?
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Moose

I do have to agree with the comment about Vettel vs Bottas and forcing off track. That really was very aggressive by Vettel. Bottas had to go off track, and then Vettel seemed to take an extra little bit, and steer into him again.

It was on the exit, so I'm sure we'll hear nothing more of it, but I hope someone noted just how aggressive Vettel was there.

PlatinumZealot

Stormy wrote:
But wasn't vettel hunting down valterri in austria last week? It's the same cars in silverstone! Stop overreacting.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

George-Jung

F1 used to be all about 'loving' your favourite team or driver without 'trashing' the other competitors..

As a Ferrari, Verstappen and Alonso supporter I can only admire the way Mercedes has turned around their tire issues and are in top of their game.

Others simply just have to do better!

marvin78

Mercedes is far away again. It's 2016 style. Hamilton cruising to victory. They have by far the best car for a few races now. Amazing work again. It's sad that there will not be a real championship fight again but that's not Mercedes' fault.

Treble

I'm really impressed by the comments here. Actually it is pretty obvious in the last races Merc had a better car. But for me it is pretty obvious too that nobody can say that FERRARI is not anymore involved in the championship race. Vettel had an horrible Start, he loses time and pace battling with Verstappen ( what a FIGHT!!) and he had a puncture. It 's impossible to judge the real pace of Ferrari in Silverstone. If you compare Raikkonen last performances with Silverstone, it looks like he become a champion.... Mercedes IS NOT FAR AWAY. Maybe it will be in the future races if Ferrari will not bring relevant updates.

ClarkBT11

The second fastest Mercedes is beating Vettel. The fastest Mercedes is able to pull out a gap to stop the undercut. If Vettel gets ahead at the start Mercedes can undercut and still have the tyres at the end of the race. If Vettel can undercut Mercedes can go longer on the first stint then attack on fresher rubber and are usually quicker than Ferrari on the harder tyre. Ferrari need to understand the management of the tyres or Mercedes will walk away with the WDC.