2017 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, 14-16 July

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Moose

Re: 2017 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, 14-16 July

Manoah2u wrote:
18 Jul 2017, 22:46
Sieper wrote:
18 Jul 2017, 21:43
What what!
he nerds to be much starter about it? sorry i assume your native language isn't english, but i couldn't decipher that one, hence the question :wink:
Pretty sure that was meant to say "he needs to be much smarter about it".

Manoah2u

ah wow, how didn't i figure that one out.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Wass85

TAG wrote:
18 Jul 2017, 22:42
Wass85 wrote:
18 Jul 2017, 21:19
I've noticed Hamilton's lap record was only 2 tenths faster than the previous fastest lap set in 2010 by Alonso, I expected them to be quicker than that tbh.
He did it on tires that were blistering... I'm sure they could have cut it down dramatically on fresh rubber.

I wonder what lap Alonso set his time on, I'm sure the Bridgestones were under just as much stress.

Sieper

Needs.

Ok, I thought you were simply calling me an idiot so didn't feel the need to oblige.

Indeed I am not a native english speaker and my iPad keeps correcting every word in my own language so typing here is a real chore. Don't know how to switch that so I guess I really am an idiot.

Seb does play politic games ("Max still a kid") but I think he needs to think through what he tries to achieve as so far he has only achieved counter productive results to his aim. Like playing a part in getting Max promoted to red bull earlier by complaining loudly about kvyat. Certainly in one of those 2 torpedo races Vettel himself was also to blame.

Also If he wants to bang wheels every race then please do, great to watch, but then don't complain about it. You might just get a "verstappen rule" but then yourself be the only one to actually get punished for it (moving under braking in that case) like Seb got done last year.

Imho Hamilton is the king of forward thinking and mind games. Also on that level he is the best.

TAG

Wass85 wrote:
18 Jul 2017, 23:21
I wonder what lap Alonso set his time on, I'm sure the Bridgestones were under just as much stress.
Why not check and report back, contribute a little. ;) This way you'd be sure instead of just guessing and saying you were sure.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

nacho

Vettel's been quite cranky lately, that bump into Verstappen was a proper one, no need to show fists in the next corner.

Wass85

TAG wrote:
19 Jul 2017, 01:02
Wass85 wrote:
Why not check and report back, contribute a little. ;) This way you'd be sure instead of just guessing and saying you were sure.
Ok clever clogs, Alonso set the fastest lap after a late pit stop.

mertol

foxmulder_ms wrote:
18 Jul 2017, 18:51
mertol wrote:
18 Jul 2017, 12:34
In this video you mainly see Kimi sucking nothing more.
That sucker is faster than magnificent Vettel since Monaco.

Also the swap was a sure thing between Kimi and Vettel. If there is one thing Ferrari is known for that is their #1 driver fetish.
So Vettel sucks even more how is that helping Kimi not suck?

Vasconia

PlatinumZealot wrote:
18 Jul 2017, 20:07
dans79 wrote:
18 Jul 2017, 00:35
PlatinumZealot wrote:
18 Jul 2017, 00:15
I think Vettel is not used to having a direct competitor in equal or faster car fighting for the championship. So it is new territory for him.
I have to disagree with that. In 2012 he and Lewis had very equal cars, Lewis only faded do to reliability issues. If memory served he dnf'd from two races while leading do to transmission issues.
I still don't believe Vettel had direct competitors. Lewis and Alonso were wholely relying on poor days from RedBull. I remember as a Lewis McLaren fan I wasn't even hoping for the drivers title since Singapore. I knew it was Vettel's and I wanted Alonso to spoil the party any way he could.
Hamilton could have fought for the victory if the Mclaren would have had a better reliabilty. Alonso was in the fight thanks to the great advantage he took in the first half.
Last edited by Vasconia on 19 Jul 2017, 11:32, edited 1 time in total.

henry

Sieper wrote:
18 Jul 2017, 23:59

Indeed I am not a native english speaker and my iPad keeps correcting every word in my own language so typing here is a real chore. Don't know how to switch that so I guess I really am an idiot.
Try:

To turn auto correct off:

1. Navigate to Settings -> General -> Keyboard

2. Touch Auto-Correction -> OFF
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

bonjon1979

Moose wrote:
18 Jul 2017, 15:02
F1NAC wrote:
18 Jul 2017, 12:13
Total domination by Hamilton
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e5ZWJ644cQ

Slow speed entry + copse better for Ferrari, but Mercedes so much better on acceleration, after that engines seems equal. (dont know DF levels of Mercedes, by M-B-C it seems they carried more DF). huh a lot of work to do for Ferrari
That really backs up my assertion that the Mercedes is great in the downforce sections.

Hamilton gains 0.15 seconds through Maggots and Beckets, and then continues to gain all down the following straight, due to a higher apex and exit speed.

Almost all of the time he gained in sector 2 and half the time he gained in sector 3 was due to being faster in Maggots and Beckets.
So you agree there is no "high speed corner" issue for Ferrari ?
Not at all - all the time that the Ferrari gains is in traction out of lower speed corners, not in the high speed aero.
I think that it's worth remembering that if you had put Bottas' relative position next to Kimi's then you would've seen Kimi extending his lead through the lap and we would be talking about where the Ferrari is faster.

I've read a lot of clap-trap about the season being over and Ferrari being miles behind Merc but I honestly don't buy it. They might normally be around 3 tenths ahead in qualifying but maybe not even that. Hamilton pulled out a stunning lap over one of the longest tracks on the calendar where any difference in pace is going to be exaggerated. Bottas was 7 tenths behind hamilton and the two Ferrari's ahead of him. They'll be a lot closer in hungary for sure.

In the race, Vettel has regularly beaten Kimi this year by 10+ seconds so we have to see the gap to hamilton (before the tyre blow out) in this context. I also think that Kimi had to nurse his tyres through the race. A one stop was marginal so he would've had to be cautious. He would also have suffered more in the dirty air of hamilton in that first stint.

Then there's the tyres. Merc have struggled most when US tyres have been used. When they come back into the mix I expect Ferrari to be closer. The next track is shorter and the temperature much hotter so I expect Ferrari to be closer to merc. We should not ignore the driver in all this though - whatever peoples thoughts on hamilton that was a stunning qualifying lap. You could tell how special it was when Mark webber described it - he was thoroughly impressed. Hungary is a very happy hunting ground for him so don't be surprised to see hamilton up front in qualifying.

However, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see at least one ferrari split the mercs again and be stronger in the race due to the high temperatures.

That is all...

justmoi

bonjon1979 wrote:
19 Jul 2017, 11:24
Moose wrote:
18 Jul 2017, 15:02
F1NAC wrote:
18 Jul 2017, 12:13
Total domination by Hamilton
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e5ZWJ644cQ

Slow speed entry + copse better for Ferrari, but Mercedes so much better on acceleration, after that engines seems equal. (dont know DF levels of Mercedes, by M-B-C it seems they carried more DF). huh a lot of work to do for Ferrari
That really backs up my assertion that the Mercedes is great in the downforce sections.

Hamilton gains 0.15 seconds through Maggots and Beckets, and then continues to gain all down the following straight, due to a higher apex and exit speed.

Almost all of the time he gained in sector 2 and half the time he gained in sector 3 was due to being faster in Maggots and Beckets.
So you agree there is no "high speed corner" issue for Ferrari ?
Not at all - all the time that the Ferrari gains is in traction out of lower speed corners, not in the high speed aero.
I think that it's worth remembering that if you had put Bottas' relative position next to Kimi's then you would've seen Kimi extending his lead through the lap and we would be talking about where the Ferrari is faster.

I've read a lot of clap-trap about the season being over and Ferrari being miles behind Merc but I honestly don't buy it. They might normally be around 3 tenths ahead in qualifying but maybe not even that. Hamilton pulled out a stunning lap over one of the longest tracks on the calendar where any difference in pace is going to be exaggerated. Bottas was 7 tenths behind hamilton and the two Ferrari's ahead of him. They'll be a lot closer in hungary for sure.

In the race, Vettel has regularly beaten Kimi this year by 10+ seconds so we have to see the gap to hamilton (before the tyre blow out) in this context. I also think that Kimi had to nurse his tyres through the race. A one stop was marginal so he would've had to be cautious. He would also have suffered more in the dirty air of hamilton in that first stint.

Then there's the tyres. Merc have struggled most when US tyres have been used. When they come back into the mix I expect Ferrari to be closer. The next track is shorter and the temperature much hotter so I expect Ferrari to be closer to merc. We should not ignore the driver in all this though - whatever peoples thoughts on hamilton that was a stunning qualifying lap. You could tell how special it was when Mark webber described it - he was thoroughly impressed. Hungary is a very happy hunting ground for him so don't be surprised to see hamilton up front in qualifying.

However, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see at least one ferrari split the mercs again and be stronger in the race due to the high temperatures.

That is all...
I agree with most of this except Mercedes struggling on the US. In recent races they have done fine on them with at least one car, so any difference should be down to set up rather than inherent in the car.

Mercedes seem to be doing rather well in recent races, but you certainly cannot write off Ferrari. The car is too good.

Wynters

I was quite impressed that Vettel pushed Max off track so hard that he ended up leaving the track entirely himself...

Interesting that he didn't do the same thing to Bottas (neither bumped him nor pushed anywhere near so far). I wonder if Max has gotten under Vettel's skin a bit and he's trying to 'put manners on him'?
Last edited by Wynters on 19 Jul 2017, 13:45, edited 1 time in total.

Andres125sx

Couldn´t watch the race till yesterday

Kvyat made another Kvyat, crashing into his team mate. Poor Sainz, no matter what´s his team mate, they always keep crashing into him

Max-Vettel battle was by far the best of the race. Some people is claiming about track limits, but IMHO that should only be taken into account when the car who pushed his rival out of track took advantage of that. In this case Vettel push Max out, but he manage to keep alongside and pass Seb on next corner, so nothing to investigate here I think. Obviously Max did the same in next corner, pushing Vettel out of track. What goes around comes around. This time it was a slow corner so the tighter line limited Seb traction so he couldn´t keep up with Max as Max did on previous corner. Great battle, nothing to complain about as both of them pushed his rival out of track at some point.

Ricciardo recovery was great, despite his early mistake going out of track. I think he´s not as fast as Max, but he´s light years ahead in terms of consistency. Ok Max suffered several mechanical failures, but even so Daniel looks more consistent.

Finally a good race by Kimi!!! It was a pity his tire couldn´t hold two more laps, but in the end his team mate problem keep him on the podium, wich he deserved.

About McHonda, while people keep talking about peak power improvements, they´re improving race pace, wich is way way more important. Hopefully we´ll see the complete new spec before the season expires...

TAG

Wass85 wrote:
19 Jul 2017, 06:38
TAG wrote:
19 Jul 2017, 01:02
Wass85 wrote:
Ok clever clogs, Alonso set the fastest lap after a late pit stop.
it is only for your benefit honored one.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत