2017 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, 28-30 July

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
JonoNic

Re: 2017 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, 28-30 July

TAG wrote:
JonoNic wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 15:55
Just_a_fan wrote:Now we know which team has the real no.1 / no.2 driver set up. That'll be the red one then...
So you wanted 1. Rai 2. Ham 3. Vett? How is that result better for Ferrari? They had an easy decision to make. Keep the order as is.
I think he means that 1. Vet 2. Rai 3. Bot wouldn't be possible without Vettel having his number one driver clause on his contract. I know it's difficult to acknowledge if you're a Tifosi/Vettel fan, but that's the way it is.
I'm not a Ferrari fan. I'm gutted that Ric was taken out. So I'm not as blind as you are implying. We missed a great race today.

Last edited by JonoNic on 30 Jul 2017, 16:09, edited 1 time in total.
Always find the gap then use it.

ME4ME

Phil wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 16:04
I have to say, that is precisely what i dislike about Vettel and also Rosberg too. I think Vettel is great out of the car - superbly funny etc, but this isnt a strong trait of him.

Rosberg too. Too well the memory when Hamilton slaughtered Rosberg in Monaco only to lose the race due to a strategy blunder and Rosberg was celebrating like a rock star.

Very different to Malaysia 2013 when Hamilton was "gifted the podium" and evidently felt bad on it.

My oh my, just watching the interview with Coulthard. Vettel shouting yes and David "congratulating" him, while Kimi standing next to him feeling clearly gutted knowing he should have had it. Stark contrast to Mercedes. Sadly, this is why Ferrari will win the WDC, while Mercedes might not.
I don't agree with that assessment at all. Vettel won -as Raikkonen mentioned- on saturday. He then handled a somewhat crippled car well without making any fault. He has all right to be happy with his win.

NathanOlder

Treble wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 16:07
AMG.Tzan wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 15:53
If there is a hypocrite in here it is Ferrari! Raikkonen was much faster yet they risked everything for their boy Vettel! It would have been brilliant if Hamilton had passed both of them just to see what they would have said to Kimi!
Lol which race did you watch? If Ferrari let Raikkonen and Vettel swapping position, Raikkonen would have won but Hamilton would have overtaken Vettel. For Ferrari the result is perfect, so great team effort and great strategy.

Kimi never has a sniff at seb in reality. So I dont think Lewis would have made a move on Seb
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

TAG

To be clear, with the rose tinted glasses fanboyz... Ferrari and Meredes are playing two difference games. No blame on anyone, but I do expect you to STFU forever more with the claims that Hamilton is given preference by his team just as much as Vettel is given by Ferrari.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

NathanOlder

TAG wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 16:11
To be clear, with the rose tinted glasses fanboyz... Ferrari and Meredes are playing two difference games. No blame on anyone, but I do expect you to STFU forever more with the claims that Hamilton is given preference by his team just as much as Vettel is given by Ferrari.
Yes. Spot on. Read this all Vettel/ferrari fanboys
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

GPR-A duplicate2

ME4ME wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 16:10
I don't agree with that assessment at all. Vettel won -as Raikkonen mentioned- on saturday.
I see great parallels with your statement and this one, "The bottom line is that I was racing, I was faster, I passed him, I won. And I think I would have thought about it and probably done the same thing because Mark doesn't deserve that (the victory),"

JonoNic

TAG wrote:To be clear, with the rose tinted glasses fanboyz... Ferrari and Meredes are playing two difference games. No blame on anyone, but I do expect you to STFU forever more with the claims that Hamilton is given preference by his team just as much as Vettel is given by Ferrari.
Hamilton made an investment today
Always find the gap then use it.

basti313
basti313

Treble wrote:
If Ferrari let Raikkonen and Vettel swapping position, Raikkonen would have won but Hamilton would have overtaken Vettel.
How that? Ham lost at least half a second in S3 on the Ferraris. He was only one lap in DRS. Would have been the same with Vettel, the simple problem was, that there are no curbs in S3 Vettel had to avoid like in S2.

There was simply no overtaking today. The only way to pass was strategy, penalty or Alonso. So I think all this discussion on Ham is a bit misleading.
Last edited by basti313 on 30 Jul 2017, 16:16, edited 1 time in total.
Don`t russel the hamster!

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

I didn't like it, but keeping Raikkonen behind Vettel made the most sense for the Constructor result; although I don't think they maintained position for that reason.

Raikkonen could manage the gap with Hamilton, meaning Vettel never came under attack. If Raikkonen had been allowed through I suspect Hamilton would have had a much better chance of passing Vettel, and the Ferrari 1-2 becomes a highly likely 1-3.

The interesting thing would have been if the roles were reversed - as they have been for much of the season; Raikkonen leading with Vettel behind, and Hamilton in close company. I'm pretty confident Kimi would have been sacrificed in that scenario as well.

F1NAC

little clash at the pen between Magnussen and Hulkenberg

https://streamable.com/ajpsl

WaikeCU

NathanOlder wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 16:09
Phil wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 16:04
NathanOlder wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 15:55

Bottas knows he didnt deserve it. Look at him on the podium. Vettel on the other hand , in his head "yes I did it. Im so good"

Prick.
I have to say, that is precisely what i dislike about Vettel and also Rosberg too. I think Vettel is great out of the car - superbly funny etc, but this isnt a strong trait of him.

Rosberg too. Too well the memory when Hamilton slaughtered Rosberg in Monaco only to lose the race due to a strategy blunder and Rosberg was celebrating like a rock star.

Very different to Malaysia 2013 when Hamilton was "gifted the podium" and evidently felt bad on it.

My oh my, just watching the interview with Coulthard. Vettel shouting yes and David "congratulating" him, while Kimi standing next to him feeling clearly gutted knowing he should have had it. Stark contrast to Mercedes. Sadly, this is why Ferrari will win the WDC, while Mercedes might not.
Couldn't agree more. I just feel Merc will be too strong. Lewis had the pace to challenge for pole but messed up and then had the pace in the race but for a bad start. He was way faster than Bottas and caught the Ferraris very fast, he was catching Kimi when kimi was catching seb. So it wasnt that Kimi was being held up at that point.
I think it's the nature of the track layout really. A lot of corners following each other quickly, so it's difficult to follow closely. I mean to determine which driver is faster than the other is easy to see. In clean air you can see Lewis closing in on those Ferrari's, just like Max did on Valterri, but once inside the 1s mark, it starts to get tricky to follow the cars after turn 1 and 2. You'll start to slip and slide more in and out of corners, so the gap goes back up to 1-2 seconds finishing the lap.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Kimi was able to manage Lewis by being slower in the twisty bits where you can't overtake and then accelerating in to the gap behind Seb on the bits you can overtake. It was masterful by him in that regard. I think a wounded Seb won't have had that luxury so would have been an easier opportunity for Lewis had Ferrari allowed Kimi to race.

Kimi looks pissed off and knows that the team consider him to be a road block for Seb. But I guess he'll bank the pay cheque and consider it a "day at the office". Would that we all got paid so well for covering someone else's behind for them.

Classy by Mercedes and Hamilton. They will have earned a lot of respect for that. Bottas looked a little unhappy because he knows he wasn't fast enough today. He also knows he owes the team one in the future.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

evered7
evered7

Vettel played his 'get out of jail card' for the season. Firstly that Ferrari had such a big pace difference over Mercedes and secondly that Bottas didn't manage to do a Sochi, thirdly Kimi being the team player and blocking Hamilton for basically half the race. Add to that the penalty for Max for taking out Ricciardo, he basically got a Royal flush if we are talking poker.

Ferrari have to have a trump card with them else this lead is going to vanish in a race or two. Well done to Bottas for letting Hamilton through and respect to Hamilton for letting him back even with Verstappen in the vicinity.

Mercedes will be the happier team of the two going into the summer break. Kimi might have just got another year of Ferrari secured if he wants to do what he is doing currently.

f1316
f1316

Fairly odd reaction on here. If you race the entire distance with a steering issue and maintain a pace good enough to keep your rivals behind you (and yes, Alonso showed that if your pace delta is big enough you can overtake - even with a slower engine) then you've done a pretty good job and deserve a real sense of satisfaction.

Make no mistake about it: without the issue Seb was the fastest guy on the track - you saw it in the first stint where he was much faster than Kimi and pulled away comfortably before the issue got worse.

It's not Schumacher stuck in 5th gear but it was a lot of pressure and likely very tricky to manage, so strange to see people begrudging him being happy about his performance.

Pramesi
Pramesi

NathanOlder wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 16:11
Treble wrote:
AMG.Tzan wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 15:53
If there is a hypocrite in here it is Ferrari! Raikkonen was much faster yet they risked everything for their boy Vettel! It would have been brilliant if Hamilton had passed both of them just to see what they would have said to Kimi!
Lol which race did you watch? If Ferrari let Raikkonen and Vettel swapping position, Raikkonen would have won but Hamilton would have overtaken Vettel. For Ferrari the result is perfect, so great team effort and great strategy.

Kimi never has a sniff at seb in reality. So I dont think Lewis would have made a move on Seb
If Lewis was unable to make a move on Seb, as you said, I don't see why Kimi should have been given the position by Seb as it wouldn't have done much except take away Seb's points from the driver's championship.

However, Seb's steering issue would probably raise the chance of him being able to be overtaken by Lewis should Kimi be given the position, so it was better for Ferrari if Seb were to stay out front to secure a 1-2.

Why do you think Seb doesn't deserve the victory?