2017 Belgian Grand Prix - Spa Francorchamps, 25-27 August

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Big Mangalhit

Re: 2017 Belgian Grand Prix - Spa Francorchamps, 25-27 August

ClarkBT11 wrote:
29 Aug 2017, 12:27
Did anyone enjoy the race? Good close racing from start to finish, plenty of drama in the midfield. Mass and Gro had a good result thanks to Force India, 10 lap sprint finish thanks to the safety car giving the honey badger a chance to grab the podium again (no boot drinking this time! Did anyone else think Daniel was going to drench Webber on the podium?)
It was weird when Hamilton had that slow, high 1:50 lap just after Vettel pitted (first Pitstop) for the softs. Was he cooling the tyres or in the wrong engine mode? I'm sure when I was watching the sector times he lost nearly a second in the first alone.
Max's dad will be having talks with another team soon if that Renault engine keeps failing, Jos looks more pissed than Max does. I also felt sorry for all the Dutch fans, spending all that money to watch him race and didn't finish.
I can't wait for Monza less than a week away hopefully it'll be as emotional as this race and it'll be a cracker.
No talks about the race please. This thread is just to discuss the new engine directive and Mercedes/Ham vs Ferrari/Vet

ClarkBT11

I'll get my coat...

Edit :- I even checked the title after reading your comment, thought I might of posted in a team or ying yang thread :)

FrukostScones

ClarkBT11 wrote:
Did anyone enjoy the race? Good close racing from start to finish, plenty of drama in the midfield. Mass and Gro had a good result thanks to Force India, 10 lap sprint finish thanks to the safety car giving the honey badger a chance to grab the podium again (no boot drinking this time! Did anyone else think Daniel was going to drench Webber on the podium?)
It was weird when Hamilton had that slow, high 1:50 lap just after Vettel pitted (first Pitstop) for the softs. Was he cooling the tyres or in the wrong engine mode? I'm sure when I was watching the sector times he lost nearly a second in the first alone.
Max's dad will be having talks with another team soon if that Renault engine keeps failing, Jos looks more pissed than Max does. I also felt sorry for all the Dutch fans, spending all that money to watch him race and didn't finish.
I can't wait for Monza less than a week away hopefully it'll be as emotional as this race and it'll be a cracker.
it was boring.
everyone found it boring.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

TAG

Mandrake wrote:
29 Aug 2017, 11:13
In fact, many believe one of the reasons Merc is struggling this year is the lack of Nico's feedback.
:wtf:
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Big Mangalhit

ClarkBT11 wrote:
29 Aug 2017, 13:04
I'll get my coat...

Edit :- I even checked the title after reading your comment, thought I might of posted in a team or ying yang thread :)
:D :D
I thought that might happen. As for the race I enjoyed for parts of it. Well everything except that for a period after the first pit stops and a bit after half the race. That part was a bit slow. Even so it was a great Spa weekend considering there was not the usual carnage at la source. I'm also excited for Monza, I think these cars should do well in open fast circuits like these ones. On the contrary last year cars seems better suited for smaller circuits.

foxmulder_ms

FrukostScones wrote:
29 Aug 2017, 17:06
ClarkBT11 wrote:
it was boring.
No way. Watching Eau Rouge is enough fun.

Fifty

On the US feed, when Vettel was in the "green room" or what ever it's called to get weighed in be fore going out to the podium.

Someone came in and whispered something to him and vettel said something back that I couldn't understand. But that was the beginning of Vettels sour face. He was upset about something.

David Hobbes and Steve Matchet mentioned it as it happened and were wondering what he was being told. They thought it may be a late minute penalty.
Anyways, I have found nothing about it. Does anyone know what was told to him that made him go from chuckling with Ricciardo and Hamilton (a little bit) to scowling and trying hard to smile on the podium?

cooken

I thought it was Lewis telling him he lifted so he'd be too close and have to pull out of draft early.

Powy

@Fifty
I think it may have been this: https://twitter.com/thebuxtonblog/statu ... 0014520320

Fifty

Powy!!! Lol! Thank you for that! It's hilarious!

I really hope he isn't doping. It would suck.
I'm sure they all are, it's in every sport and they are trying to keep one step ahead of the regulations, but all the same. I really hope no drivers are doping.
Keep some innocence and purity in the world for once!

NathanOlder

Interesting. Does anyone have a link to that part, i remember watching it live and thinking it was odd, but now id like to see it again but cant find anything online
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Ennis

Fifty wrote:
30 Aug 2017, 04:22
Powy!!! Lol! Thank you for that! It's hilarious!

I really hope he isn't doping. It would suck.
I'm sure they all are, it's in every sport and they are trying to keep one step ahead of the regulations, but all the same. I really hope no drivers are doping.
Keep some innocence and purity in the world for once!
I don't think the risk vs reward weighs up to dope in F1. The drivers need to be fit, but they need to be a level of fit which is relatively easily attainable. Generally speaking the more athletic / less technical the sport, the more advantage to doping.

Of course we step in the world of 'brain-doping', but I'm not sure they're at a level where that becomes an issue yet.

Schuttelberg

Vanja #66 wrote:
28 Aug 2017, 10:14
It's definitely Ocon's rage for not being taken in for tyre swap before Perez that caused this. In general this year with the two of them, Ocon is the one who attacks when it's not possible... Perez was in front, he had the racing line and Ocon went in there just like he did at the beginning of the race. If that first lap was hectic and hard racing, this second contact is Ocon's own doing.
First you say Perez caused it and then you blame Ocon? Both incidents at Spa in my opinion were caused by Perez's ego.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

Dazed1

foxmulder_ms wrote:
29 Aug 2017, 19:55
FrukostScones wrote:
29 Aug 2017, 17:06
ClarkBT11 wrote:
it was boring.
No way. Watching Eau Rouge is enough fun.
I thought it quite good, just what the Doctor ordered, in fact as I accidentally deleted the entire F1 folder on my DVR Friday morning. :(

J.A.W.

GPR-A wrote:
29 Aug 2017, 07:36
fiohaa wrote:
28 Aug 2017, 15:56
............Unlike Alonso, who cries and runs away.
Fangio had a knack of understanding who is getting a great car and always jumped into one. He never contributed a great deal to build one. Senna did the same. Once McLaren's domination waned off, he jumped off to Williams. Vettel did the same (from Red Bull).

Niki Lauda was probably the first one, who knew how to contribute to build a good car and then drive it to win titles. Michael was the next one who went into an under performing team and gave his precious years to be part of laying foundation for a future success. Hamilton was the next one, though he did not anticipate anything, but was wilful part of grandeur being built (he took the punt).

I don't recall any other driver who really did what Niki or Michael did and to call someone like Alonso as a crybaby and runaway driver is just sour. Senna (McLaren) and Prost (Ferrari) did the same. You can't expect every driver to do what Niki and Michael did. So, that can't be a benchmark for every champion driver.
Brabham & Surtees were both Championship winners as drivers - with technical car-input capabilities - prior to Lauda..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).