2017 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, 1-3 September

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Xwang

Re: 2017 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, 1-3 September

How will FIA measure the oil consumption?
Have they already decided or will they invent some other fantastic rule.

AnotherAlex

My guess is that Ferrari's second oil tank was so they could use two formulations of oil at the same time, possibly in variable ratios to satisfy different engine modes.
Technically this wasn't in breach of the regulations which did (and still do) refer to multiple oil tanks (though there is some distinction made around the area of a 'main' oil tank) and I'm pretty sure that at the start of the year there was specific mention of 'no more than two approved oils per Event'. That has changed with article 20.3 of the technical regs now stating that 'only one oil may be used in a given engine during an Event'.

Xwang wrote:
29 Aug 2017, 22:41
How will FIA measure the oil consumption?
Have they already decided or will they invent some other fantastic rule.
From the Technical Regulations...
"7.8 Main oil tank level measurement:
The measurement of the oil level in the main oil tank must be supplied to FIA at all times. The main oil tank is the oil tank directly connected to the engine oil feed at the inlet of the oil pressure pump."

and from the Sporting Regulations...
"34.9 The mass of oil contained in each oil tank, with the exception of the main oil tank, must be declared to the FIA one hour before the start of the race."

So, despite the wonderfully draconian sounding but in fact meaningless 'at all times', the FIA will receive information of a certain (possibly variable?) quality from the teams at some point and then do with it what they will.
(Sorry if you're after the technicalities of how such measurements are achieved - I haven't a clue but I'm guessing they don't use a dip-stick.)
IMO, the FIA should inform the teams that the oil consumption figures will be made public from Monza onwards, to coincide with the introduction of the new limits (for all teams/engines on at least a per session basis).

Xwang

Is somewhere forbidden to refill the oil tank during the race or qualify?

godlameroso

It's going to rain all weekend. Hopefully it's not red flagged and we can see some wet weather racing.
Saishū kōnā

cooken

Thanks god. A wet weekend would be phenomenal, especially if Verstappen's car doesn't tire itself in a knot again.

If only we could quit the oil diatribe.

godlameroso

If qualifying is dry, I can see someone doing a high 1:18.
Saishū kōnā

Sevach

F1NAC wrote:
29 Aug 2017, 22:19

Is it clever to use engine that did few races and including spa? I mean it will be major stress for current ice to run few races plus spa and monza.
If this new engine is more powerful that they'll want to use it every time i think introducing in Monza is a bit early honestly, if it has essentially the same performance of the one that is currently equipped then introducing it in Monza makes sense and they can manage the engines to the end of the season.

I think this is the worst Ferrari track going forward but they still can finish third going in reverse, making a pragmatic choice i would sacrifice it.

matt_b

Sevach wrote:
30 Aug 2017, 06:39
F1NAC wrote:
29 Aug 2017, 22:19

I think this is the worst Ferrari track going forward but they still can finish third going in reverse, making a pragmatic choice i would sacrifice it.
Ferarri are very fast in the braking zones and there's a lot in monza, I think it will be close in the dry, new engine should be handy too assuming they take it here.

ChrisDanger

Press Conference Schedule

Thursday, 31 August, 1500hrs

Part 1:
Esteban Ocon (Force India)
Sergio Pérez (Force India)
Sebastian Vettel (Ferrari)

Part 2:
Romain Grosjean (Haas)
Nico Hulkenberg (Renault)
Carlos Sainz (Toro Rosso)

Friday, 01 September, 1600hrs

Part 1:
Maurizio Arrivabene (Ferrari)
Frédéric Vasseur (Sauber)
Toto Wolff (Mercedes)

Part 2:
Robert Fernley (Force India)
Gene Haas (Haas)
Claire Williams (WIlliams)

Jolle

ChrisDanger wrote:
30 Aug 2017, 12:17
Press Conference Schedule

Thursday, 31 August, 1500hrs

Part 1:
Esteban Ocon (Force India)
Sergio Pérez (Force India)
Sebastian Vettel (Ferrari)

Part 2:
Romain Grosjean (Haas)
Nico Hulkenberg (Renault)
Carlos Sainz (Toro Rosso)

Friday, 01 September, 1600hrs

Part 1:
Maurizio Arrivabene (Ferrari)
Frédéric Vasseur (Sauber)
Toto Wolff (Mercedes)

Part 2:
Robert Fernley (Force India)
Gene Haas (Haas)
Claire Williams (WIlliams)
I have to get popcorn for Thursday I see :D

Will Vettel sit in the middle?

cplchanb

this is going to be very fun to watch lol....

godlameroso

1:19.5 is the fastest ever lap in Monza, I think that time can be beaten if there's dry qualifying.
Saishū kōnā

ChrisDanger

I always like seeing that preparations are underway. More pictures here.

Shrieker

A fantastic lap by Lewis on Saturday last year, but his start on Sunday was one of those that ultimately cost him the title (along with the infamous engine blow up of course). Will he win it this year in front of the tifosi ?
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

dans79

Shrieker wrote:
31 Aug 2017, 00:19
A fantastic lap by Lewis on Saturday last year, but his start on Sunday was one of those that ultimately cost him the title (along with the infamous engine blow up of course). Will he win it this year in front of the tifosi ?
What he really needs is a Merc 1-2, as he hasn't had a lot of help from his teammate lately.
197 104 103 7