2017 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, 1-3 September

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.

Big Mangalhit

Re: 2017 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, 1-3 September

Restomaniac wrote:
01 Sep 2017, 13:46
Big Mangalhit wrote:
01 Sep 2017, 13:41
They have, but at the time it was because there was no time to change parts.Basically they put two new TC at the same time meaning they have little usage between them so they could maybe go to the end of the championship.

But on the other hand they might need to introduce a new TC with the new ICE, usually these components go hand in hand and so they probably will need to take a penalty then.

The penalty of changing only the TC is 10 places on the grid, not the worse but that would mean probably a 5-6 position
I never thought of that point. I would then say that surely this weekend or last would be the place to take that penalty. Is that going to bite them? Although wait weren't the rules changed so that it isn't just an extra component thrown into the pool and the extra component is the only component you can use from then on? Surely if they have a TC that works with the new ICE then they can't go back to an old ICE with the then new TC that they then have to use.
They can go back to previous iterations, the new rule is to prevent engine part stockpiling although the writing is a bit ambigous.

Vasconia

wickedz50 wrote:
01 Sep 2017, 15:33
What is the weather forecast for the race on Sunday?
Its looking dry right now but I still hope we can have some showers. [-o<

Vasconia

This is something more normal and what we could see tomorrow. Anyway Ferrari needs to close the gap a Little more because a front row for Mercedes would make imposible a victory for the scuderia.

Quite surprising to see McLaren in such a good shape here. Indeed they will lose some ground tomorrow but its still pretty good.

Phil

I think Bottas had a little tow on his lap, just for the record.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Wynters

Does anyone know what happened to Kvyat? Also, McLaren going well. Might manage a points finish this weekend (assuming the engine doesn't blow up/ disintegrate/melt/etc.

jz11

I can't stop laughing at this from 5:15 :D

https://youtu.be/EgtUy-8rjiE?t=316

vanburin

Vasconia wrote:
01 Sep 2017, 16:05
Quite surprising to see McLaren in such a good shape here. Indeed they will lose some ground tomorrow but its still pretty good.
Hopefully, you're right for their sake. With last year's Q3 time being a 1:21.1, you have to think there is a decent amount of time to be had in this year's cars, even with the lack of medium to high downforce corners. Mclaren will likely become exposed once again when the other team's turn the wicks up with the the Quali engine modes.

the EDGE

Also good to see the number of laps & Stoffle keeping up with Alonso again

ChrisDanger

Vasconia wrote:
Quite surprising to see McLaren in such a good shape here.
BBC Radio 5 commentary suggested they were practising slipstreaming for qualifying tomorrow.

Restomaniac

Big Mangalhit wrote:
01 Sep 2017, 15:37
Restomaniac wrote:
01 Sep 2017, 13:46
Big Mangalhit wrote:
01 Sep 2017, 13:41
They have, but at the time it was because there was no time to change parts.Basically they put two new TC at the same time meaning they have little usage between them so they could maybe go to the end of the championship.

But on the other hand they might need to introduce a new TC with the new ICE, usually these components go hand in hand and so they probably will need to take a penalty then.

The penalty of changing only the TC is 10 places on the grid, not the worse but that would mean probably a 5-6 position
I never thought of that point. I would then say that surely this weekend or last would be the place to take that penalty. Is that going to bite them? Although wait weren't the rules changed so that it isn't just an extra component thrown into the pool and the extra component is the only component you can use from then on? Surely if they have a TC that works with the new ICE then they can't go back to an old ICE with the then new TC that they then have to use.
They can go back to previous iterations, the new rule is to prevent engine part stockpiling although the writing is a bit ambigous.
Ah fair enough but that wasn't how I understood the regs.

Restomaniac

ChrisDanger wrote:
01 Sep 2017, 16:41
Vasconia wrote:
BBC Radio 5 commentary suggested they were practising slipstreaming for qualifying tomorrow.
They were, it was clear on the tv coverage.
Last edited by Restomaniac on 01 Sep 2017, 16:57, edited 1 time in total.

j2004p

ChrisDanger wrote:
01 Sep 2017, 16:41
Vasconia wrote:
Other than the likely ERS deployment issues Mclaren have in races I think that they have another problem which hampers them greatly.

In FP and Qualifying they have a clear track where their good chassis can make up a certain amount of time lost on the straights.

In the race when in traffic, unless they can make clean passes and get into clean air then they cannot exploit their cornering gains so cannot pull away from cars behind. This then leaves them sitting ducks for the cars behind down the straights. This means that cars that are on balance slower than Mclarens over a whole lap are able to get ahead simply due to their straight line deficiencies.

Monza will show this up horrifically.

Andres125sx

I´m not sure when they did start to make video summaries of FP in the official F1 website, but the production smell like american... thank you Liberty!! :D :D

Scroll down for the video
FP1
FP2

dans79

Andres125sx wrote:
01 Sep 2017, 18:31
I´m not sure when they did start to make video summaries of FP in the official F1 website, but the production smell like american... thank you Liberty!! :D :D
Your welcome! :D
197 104 103 7