2017 Singapore Grand Prix - Marina Bay, 15-17 September

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Chene_Mostert
27
User avatar
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:50 pm

Re: 2017 Singapore Grand Prix - Marina Bay, 15-17 September

Post by Chene_Mostert » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:17 am

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:30 am
Any guesses on how quick these cars will go here? Lots a corners to make time up.
I guess they will be as fast as physically possible during Qualifying and then significantly slower during the race.
"Science at its best is an open-minded method of inquiry, not a belief system." - Rupert Sheldrake

Juzh
396
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:45 am

Re: 2017 Singapore Grand Prix - Marina Bay, 15-17 September

Post by Juzh » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:00 am

Based on monaco there will not be an improvement on scale such as in spa, and 2016 cars were already very fast in singapore. It is a very long track though (as in laptime), so perhaps a 2.5s improvement in reasonable.

godlameroso
337
User avatar
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:27 pm
Location: Miami FL

Re: 2017 Singapore Grand Prix - Marina Bay, 15-17 September

Post by godlameroso » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:14 pm

Low 1:39 or high 38 for pole, which is unreal if you ask me. The cars have gained nearly a second since Monaco. If they were to race there again they'd be faster by .7 seconds. Race pace will be in the 44's and 43's fastest race lap in the 41s.

The stop start nature of the circuit allows plenty of MGU-K recovery, the track requires a lot of aero grip, and a well sorted suspension. Full deployment is easy lap after lap, because of the big MGU-K influence and the fact only ~58-60% of the lap is full throttle.

Ferrari has an edge on Mercedes in terms of peak downforce, and they should have a slight advantage here because of it. Red Bull may do well here as well, probably matching Mercedes. McLaren will probably be best of the rest, and Alonso may actually sneak in ahead of one of the drivers in the top 3 teams on pure pace.
The height of cultivation is really nothing special. It is merely simplicity; the ability to express the utmost with the minimum. Mr.Lee

f1316
127
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:36 pm

Re: 2017 Singapore Grand Prix - Marina Bay, 15-17 September

Post by f1316 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:01 am

godlameroso wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:14 pm
Low 1:39 or high 38 for pole, which is unreal if you ask me. The cars have gained nearly a second since Monaco. If they were to race there again they'd be faster by .7 seconds. Race pace will be in the 44's and 43's fastest race lap in the 41s.

The stop start nature of the circuit allows plenty of MGU-K recovery, the track requires a lot of aero grip, and a well sorted suspension. Full deployment is easy lap after lap, because of the big MGU-K influence and the fact only ~58-60% of the lap is full throttle.

Ferrari has an edge on Mercedes in terms of peak downforce, and they should have a slight advantage here because of it. Red Bull may do well here as well, probably matching Mercedes. McLaren will probably be best of the rest, and Alonso may actually sneak in ahead of one of the drivers in the top 3 teams on pure pace.
Out of interest, how do you come to that 0.7? Not that I disagree (seems like they've developed quite significantly) but I have no idea how to quantity that, so always interested to understand more.

Schuttelberg
67
User avatar
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:02 am

Re: 2017 Singapore Grand Prix - Marina Bay, 15-17 September

Post by Schuttelberg » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:42 pm

Seb has been in 'god mode' on this circuit since day 1. In my opinion, this is his strongest circuit of all. If he ever needed a result on it, it's now!
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

Emil_Kyulev
1
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:57 pm

Mercedes vs Ferrari vs Red Bull

Post by Emil_Kyulev » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:16 pm

In Monaco, Ferrari got a 1-2 in qualifying and in th race; yet the margins were very small. As this is a similar track layout with low speed corners, how indivative are the Monaco results going to be for the Singapore GP next weekend? Or have the teams made significant developments since then, which are going to rearrange the grid?

Juzh
396
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:45 am

Re: 2017 Singapore Grand Prix - Marina Bay, 15-17 September

Post by Juzh » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:24 pm

godlameroso wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:14 pm
Alonso may actually sneak in ahead of one of the drivers in the top 3 teams on pure pace.
lol, no. Not a slightest chance.

PlatinumZealot
348
User avatar
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:45 am

Re: 2017 Singapore Grand Prix - Marina Bay, 15-17 September

Post by PlatinumZealot » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:41 am

Schuttelberg wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:42 pm
Seb has been in 'god mode' on this circuit since day 1. In my opinion, this is his strongest circuit of all. If he ever needed a result on it, it's now!
Gods can be killed by other Gods..even demi-Gods with the right weapons. :wink:
"The true champions are also great men. They are capable of making difficult decisions, of admitting their mistakes and of pushing harder than before when they get up from a fall."

- Ferrari chairman Sergio Marchionne

skoop
14
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:46 pm

Re: 2017 Singapore Grand Prix - Marina Bay, 15-17 September

Post by skoop » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:01 pm

Are Ferrari bringing any engine updates to thes race?
I read that Force India will get only one new enigne which will ne given to the driver with the most points which would be Perez. However I read somewhere that maybe Ocon will get the new engine because Perez cause the collision in Spa. Are there any updates on that? Or was it just the typical drama made up by the press?

NathanOlder
116
User avatar
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:05 am
Location: Kent

Re: 2017 Singapore Grand Prix - Marina Bay, 15-17 September

Post by NathanOlder » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:08 pm

I heard Force India didnt want it if they could only have 1.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0

Does anyone play F1 2019 on Ps4, Now setting up a league at

https://rapidpixelracing.com

dren
275
User avatar
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:14 pm

Re: 2017 Singapore Grand Prix - Marina Bay, 15-17 September

Post by dren » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:16 pm

CBeck113 wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:55 am
My prediction, since this is the race thread:
Quali: Vet, Ham, Ves, Bot, Ric, Rai, Alo
Race: Ric, Ves, Alo, Rai, Bot (Vet & Ham crash out to furhter heat up the title fight, Ves leads most of the GP but gets burned by Ric who spent the second stint saving his tires). And Alonso on the podium because McL/Honda is starting to function, right after they decide to separate :-)
Good prediction, I like.
Honda!

atanatizante
36
User avatar
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:33 pm

Re: 2017 Singapore Grand Prix - Marina Bay, 15-17 September

Post by atanatizante » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:45 pm

What was interesting coming out of Monza race is the fact that Merc did setup their cars for good traction out of the corners, as we saw they didn`t gain much on the straight and being quite average on top speed ... and that was just opposite to what they did in Spa having both cars with a low downforce race setup ...

That thing tells me one of two possible choices : 1. the have had a slightly high DF setup (hence their top speed) or 2. their car has a good traction now, based on lessons learned and the new mechanical bits introduced after Hungaroring test ... I`d rather think it`s the second choice and my argument is they did pretty good in that wet qualy, isn`t it?

Here at Singapore, with 2016 tyres they ended having brake setup issue in the race but this year (bearing in mind Pirelli`s 2017 tyres) it should not have to be the case. So based on these facts I think they could rise some eyebrows this year ...

Now regarding last year it was that Lewis struggled with brake issues all weekend and even having a carbon disk failure in FP3 ... and afterwards admitted they didn`t setup the brakes properly for the race, had I`m not wrong ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

F1NAC
159
User avatar
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:35 pm
Location: CRO

Re: 2017 Singapore Grand Prix - Marina Bay, 15-17 September

Post by F1NAC » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:01 am

Ferrari will be under massive pressure I assume. They must deliver at this race, and Vettel must keep his title hopes alive

GPR-A
167
User avatar
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:00 am

Re: 2017 Singapore Grand Prix - Marina Bay, 15-17 September

Post by GPR-A » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:44 pm

atanatizante wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:45 pm
Now regarding last year it was that Lewis struggled with brake issues all weekend and even having a carbon disk failure in FP3 ... and afterwards admitted they didn`t setup the brakes properly for the race, had I`m not wrong ...
He also had hydraulic issues in FP2 that curtailed his running.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/sing ... le-827073/

Vasconia
39
User avatar
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:45 am
Location: Basque Country

Re: 2017 Singapore Grand Prix - Marina Bay, 15-17 September

Post by Vasconia » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:44 pm

skoop wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:01 pm
Are Ferrari bringing any engine updates to thes race?
I read that Force India will get only one new enigne which will ne given to the driver with the most points which would be Perez. However I read somewhere that maybe Ocon will get the new engine because Perez cause the collision in Spa. Are there any updates on that? Or was it just the typical drama made up by the press?
There was a delay with the new update(intentional if I am not wrong), but I dont think Singapur is the best track to bring a PU update.