2017 Singapore Grand Prix - 1st lap crash discussion

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Vasconia

Re: 2017 Singapore Grand Prix - 1st lap crash discussion

GPR-A wrote:
18 Sep 2017, 15:40
The incident happened halfway through to the first turn and you won't expect a racing driver to break and back off. If it was around 10 metres from turn 1, yes. But definitely not at midway through. There were 2 drivers who had nothing to lose and one that had everything to lose. Who do you expect to play it cautiously?
[/quote]

What Vettel did was nothing crazy or too risky...under normal conditions. But Kimi was there and Vettel was not aware of his presence so a quite standard "close the door" maneuver became risky and finally a pretty bad move.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Vasconia wrote:
18 Sep 2017, 16:06

What Vettel did was nothing crazy or too risky...under normal conditions. But Kimi was there and Vettel was not aware of his presence so a quite standard "close the door" maneuver became risky and finally a pretty bad move.
But it wasn't a standard 'close the door' as Ves is halfway through the door already if Rai's position does make Ves back out. I wonder how many of those that are defending Vet's clear 'back off or in the wall' attitude (If Vettel keeps going that's the option he gives Ves) we're defending Perez's same attitude towards Ocon at Spa.
If you are in front then its fine but Vet made a bad start and Ves a better one without the Ves back-out they go into turn 1 with Ves up the inside.

adrianjordan

I'm just amazed no-one has tried to blame Honda yet 😝
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

TAG

Restomaniac wrote:
18 Sep 2017, 11:16
Looking back. It's clear Vet thought he was on the back foot hence his actions. That makes one wonder about his views about himself in the wet.

Does he maybe know deep down that the likes of Ham and Ves have his measure in the rain?
I think he knew he was going to have a tough race ahead of him. The lap he pulled on Saturday was perhaps one of his finest poles but the car was not going to allow him to keep the Red Bulls back, certainly not going to allow him to keep Hamilton back.

I'm ruing the crash because I believe we would have witnessed one of the greatest F1 races in history. With Hamilton and Verstappen showing the rest of the field how to drive in the wet.

https://twitter.com/B1g_B0y/status/909804367221596160
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

GrandAxe
GrandAxe

The claim that Vettel could not (or did not) see Kimi is simply ridiculous, even the most ordinary driver on a motorway can see across lanes.

Vettel should completely avoid making such dangerous moves if he truly lacks the reaction time to see a rapidly moving third car outside of him. Leave it to those with the skill to handle electric moves; the likes of Lewis, Ricciardo and Alonso.

Jolle
Jolle

GrandAxe wrote:
18 Sep 2017, 19:28
The claim that Vettel could not (or did not) see Kimi is simply ridiculous, even the most ordinary driver on a motorway can see across lanes.

Vettel should completely avoid making such dangerous moves if he truly lacks the reaction time to see a rapidly moving third car outside of him. Leave it to those with the skill to handle electric moves; the likes of Lewis, Ricciardo and Alonso.
Plus: “oh I can’t see that side of the track, let’s cross over there”

TAG

Vettel's only failing on Sunday was his staunch belief that Kimi couldn't possibly have gotten a better start than him, therefore he'd not be there. :)
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

GrandAxe
GrandAxe

outer_bongolia wrote:
18 Sep 2017, 15:41
Well, I will suggest we also look at the second collision between Kimi and Verstappen (and Alonso the Unlucky). It looked like Kimi did not try to stop (even accelerated a bit) until he took Verstappen out. Would anyone comment on that?
Kimi had only three wheels left after the crash. Under those circumstances, it would have required a miracle for him to be able to accelerate into the corner for the second collision.

George-Jung
George-Jung

Hahaha what a BS, Kimi was missing one rear wheel- and the other one hanging in the air.. yet he managed to accelerate?!!

Come on, this crap has got to stop- plz!

Look at his onboard, he is even trying to steer away from the track.

https://youtu.be/MTsD_PWY08U
Last edited by George-Jung on 18 Sep 2017, 20:33, edited 1 time in total.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

The worst is that unlike Rosberg who always seemed to have a 'born with a silver spoon in his mouth' attitude Vettel just comes across just a single minded if hot headed racing driver.
He isn't unlikable although sometimes he makes it hard for himself. I just think he needs to chill out at times.

I can see Vettel having no problems sharing a beer with another driver he doesn't seem big headed for a 4xWDC.
Last edited by Restomaniac on 18 Sep 2017, 20:36, edited 1 time in total.

ringo

This thread is still alive?! :P
For Sure!!

Unc1eM0nty

That's what I thought, I bet they can drag this out for another week or so.

Edax
Edax

Diesel wrote:
18 Sep 2017, 15:45
outer_bongolia wrote:
Well, I will suggest we also look at the second collision between Kimi and Verstappen (and Alonso the Unlucky). It looked like Kimi did not try to stop (even accelerated a bit) until he took Verstappen out. Would anyone comment on that?
He was just sliding on the plank at that point, on a wet track he had no chance to stopping it. If you watch the onboard he had the thing on full lock trying to make turn 1, no revs so he wasn't applying the throttle. So thats that cock and ball theory out the window. NEXT.
I think I understand what he means. It does look like he accellerates just before hitting verstappen. But that is not actual accelleration, but Rai releasing the brakes. When drivers know they are going to crash they often take their weight of the pedals. This is to prevent injuries as the pedals are pushed into the cockpit.

Otherwise you can clearly see that the impact with Vettel had destroyed his steering rack. He was full lock and the wheels where still pointing straight. He was just a passenger.

Jolle
Jolle

Edax wrote:
18 Sep 2017, 20:53
Diesel wrote:
outer_bongolia wrote:
He was just sliding on the plank at that point, on a wet track he had no chance to stopping it. If you watch the onboard he had the thing on full lock trying to make turn 1, no revs so he wasn't applying the throttle. So thats that cock and ball theory out the window. NEXT.
I think I understand what he means. It does look like he accellerates just before hitting verstappen. But that is not actual accelleration, but Rai releasing the brakes. When drivers know they are going to crash they often take their weight of the pedals. This is to prevent injuries as the pedals are pushed into the cockpit.

Otherwise you can clearly see that the impact with Vettel had destroyed his steering rack. He was full lock and the wheels where still pointing straight. He was just a passenger.
They weren’t in the braking zone yet... the sudden speed difference you see is Verstappen backing off because there isn’t enough space for his car in front of him.

Edax
Edax

Jolle wrote:
18 Sep 2017, 22:02
Edax wrote:
18 Sep 2017, 20:53
Diesel wrote:

They weren’t in the braking zone yet... the sudden speed difference you see is Verstappen backing off because there isn’t enough space for his car in front of him.
This is about the second impact.