2017 Championship Permutations

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Fulcrum

Re: 2017 Championship Permutations

Diesel wrote:
21 Oct 2017, 19:25
Just checking in, as I'm still not sure, but are Hamilton's chances still "not good" ?
Positively fragile I'm sure, according to some.

GPR-A duplicate2

When I read the comments on this particular thread, I can't help but notice a compulsive obsession to see a fight for championship to go down till the last race, at an insane expectation/wish of seeing a lead driver failing to finish a race, meeting with some kind of misfortune that takes that driver out of the championship contention itself and what not. It's like, if a sprinter has taken a healthy lead, the audience is desperately expecting that sprinter to trip down so that chasing pack comes near and then get up and run, so that the fight goes down to last step in that sprint. Amazing.

A fight is worth the entertainment, when it just naturally happens to be A FIGHT. Not because misfortune handicaps a driver, even worse, when people GENUINELY WISH the hard working individual to meet misfortune for the sake of A FIGHT.

It was a pity to see Schumacher lose the title in 2006 due to a misfortune, it was a pity to see Hamilton lose the contest in 2012 due to loads of misfortune, it was a pity to see Alonso lose 2012 contest due to some misfortune, it was a pity to see Hamilton lose the battle in 2016 due to misfortune and IT IS INDEED a pity to see Vettel's chances having gotten reduced in the battle due to misfortune this year. But it would be sick to see people expecting to see misfortune to befell on a driver, just to have A FIGHT.

Manoah2u

I'm not sure whether you're reading all of that right.

People making calculations on the potential of seeing a final race showdown does not equal 'wishing bad stuff' to either of them.

especially since nobody wished Vettel his recent streak of misfortune. But at that same time, nobody expected that to happen, and so, there is no guarantee that for the upcoming races, Hamilton couldn't suffer the same.

It has nothing to do with 'wishing' something. It has purely to do with what COULD, POTENTIALLY, happen.
Above all, due to calculating exactly where the title fight is guaranteed over, or to what degree exactly what is needed to see it come down to the last lap in the last GP.

don't look too much into merely 'mathematical' calculations.

If i'm planning my vacation and i'm keeping in mind that it might rain in a certain part of the vacation and i'll adapt or anticipate that, it doesn't mean i WANT my vacation
to get ruined by rain.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Bill_Kar

What about now?

Phil

Its done. One single 5th place in 3 races. It’s a formality!

:D
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

ringo

You never know. It aint over yet!!
For Sure!!

NathanOlder

When was the last time a team won back to back titles over a massive rule change ?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Phil

Well, i for one am still curious to see how strong Ferrari will be relative to Mercedes on the next 3 tracks. It might give some insight into what i was arguing before Suzuka...
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

ringo

They were stronger her for sure based on the average performance with the four drivers at the front. Vettel and Kimi were much better on average than lewis and Bottas.
Mercedes still suffers with traction if its not treated properly. I expect more struggling in the next 3 races.
I just feel Vettel and Max may win at least one more. Such is the pace in the ferrari and redbull.
Mercedes may just be third best next year.
The Ferrari engine can pretty much drag race with the merc in the races now, as we have seen with kimi running down bottas.
For Sure!!

Restomaniac

NathanOlder wrote:
22 Oct 2017, 23:20
When was the last time a team won back to back titles over a massive rule change ?
According to Hamilton at the start of the season. NEVER!

NathanOlder

Impressive stuff then. I was struggling to remember anything of the sort. That may explain it.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

Restomaniac

NathanOlder wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 00:19
Impressive stuff then. I was struggling to remember anything of the sort. That may explain it.
Indeed. When Hamilton said it I took it as a pressure point applied to Ferrari and Vettel.

NathanOlder

And it could be counted as a point that helped push Ferrari to breaking point, every little helps
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

Bill_Kar

Ringo, if someone who hasn't kept track with this year, they would have a completely different idea of standings both in WDC and WCC

Restomaniac

I agree. Hamilton has been at it all season.

All the pressure has been on Vettel and Ferrari. Hamilton and Mercedes has somehow been seen as the underdogs.