2017 Japanese Grand Prix - Suzuka, 6-8 October

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
simieski

Re: 2017 Japanese Grand Prix - Suzuka, 6-8 October

Manoah2u wrote:
03 Oct 2017, 22:16
Restomaniac wrote:
03 Oct 2017, 17:12
Sevach wrote:
03 Oct 2017, 16:48
That is one tough gearbox.
Indeed. I'm amazed by that.
i find that fairly not believable really, and im not at all conspiracy tinfoilhat believer by any means,
but this has screaming disbelief over it like crazy.

the frigging wheel was tipped over to the other side completely. :lol:

so you're really wanting to tell me that vettel slams the LEFT side of the car , with the rear wheel first, into the WALL in SINGAPORE during Qually, and people including vettel himself worry about the possibility that there is damage for the race, then vettel has a violent crash at the start with his teammate, where his entire car is open on all sides leaking stuff and fluids, and then he gets a race under his belt in malaysia, and gets SLAMMED by the side by stroll's williams which had nothing - indicating the Ferrari took ALL THE FORCE, and then despite the LEFT wheel being thrown over to the right, the suspension BROKEN, and Vettel hopping that car a few feet further, that gearbox is STILL intact and undamaged?

seriously, FIA needs to hire FERRARI's heads that been working on that gearbox and let them make a new monocoque and halo all in completely as they can make some seriously amazing indestructible stuff.
As he didn't finish the race in Singapore they would of changed the gearbox penalty free before Malaysia.
Thank you to God for making me an Atheist - Ricky Gervais.

zibby43

Phil wrote:
03 Oct 2017, 14:30
IMHO this would be bad for Mercedes, as they probably need more running to assess the updates and proper setup for the track...
They won't be bringing the updated aero package they took to Malaysia. That was a new version of their "high/max downforce" package.

Merc will be bringing the Silverstone/Spa aero package to Suzuka.

Whether they have updates for their "efficiency" aero package, we'll have to wait and see. We may only see the updated maximum downforce package again in Mexico City.
Last edited by zibby43 on 03 Oct 2017, 22:39, edited 1 time in total.

MtthsMlw

simieski wrote:
03 Oct 2017, 22:26
Manoah2u wrote:
Restomaniac wrote:
03 Oct 2017, 17:12
Indeed. I'm amazed by that.
i find that fairly not believable really, and im not at all conspiracy tinfoilhat believer by any means,

so you're really wanting to tell me that vettel slams the LEFT side of the car , with the rear wheel first, into the WALL in SINGAPORE during Qually, and people including vettel himself worry about the possibility that there is damage for the race, then vettel has a violent crash at the start with his teammate, where his entire car is open on all sides leaking stuff and fluids, and then he gets a race under his belt in malaysia, and gets SLAMMED by the side by stroll's williams which had nothing - indicating the Ferrari took ALL THE FORCE, and then despite the LEFT wheel being thrown over to the right, the suspension BROKEN, and Vettel hopping that car a few feet further, that gearbox is STILL intact and undamaged?

seriously, FIA needs to hire FERRARI's heads that been working on that gearbox and let them make a new monocoque and halo all in completely as they can make some seriously amazing indestructible stuff.
As he didn't finish the race in Singapore they would of changed the gearbox penalty free before Malaysia.
They did. It's a new gearbox and Seb has to finish the season with it to avoid a penalty.

PlatinumZealot

f1316 wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 19:51
Everything does look very good from a Mercedes perspective - looking at that constructors championships graph alone, you'd be sure they had completely out developed Ferrari during the season.

More worryingly for them, their update package really didn't work and I can't remember the last time I said that. Why didn't it work, will be the question they'll need to solve to ensure they don't find themselves dropping points to two team/four drivers in some of the upcoming races.

The package worked. Your expectations were too high for Malaysia that's all. Data showed higher downforce and good aerobalance.. problem was uneven heating of the tyres which they say is in the DNA of the car. No way to fix that this year no matter which aero package they introduce. Knowing this I feel the package will show it's true performance in Suzuka.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

McG

PlatinumZealot wrote:
04 Oct 2017, 00:31
f1316 wrote:
Everything does look very good from a Mercedes perspective - looking at that constructors championships graph alone, you'd be sure they had completely out developed Ferrari during the season.

More worryingly for them, their update package really didn't work and I can't remember the last time I said that. Why didn't it work, will be the question they'll need to solve to ensure they don't find themselves dropping points to two team/four drivers in some of the upcoming races.

The package worked. Your expectations were too high for Malaysia that's all. Data showed higher downforce and good aerobalance.. problem was uneven heating of the tyres which they say is in the DNA of the car. No way to fix that this year no matter which aero package they introduce. Knowing this I feel the package will show it's true performance in Suzuka.
Finishing 2nd due to the 2 Ferraris not being up front. Would have been 4th and then Bottas way back. How has is that a package working.
F1 is dead.

godlameroso

The Dunlop and Spoon curves put a lot of load on the rear tires, that said there are plenty of high speed turns that put a lot of heat on the fronts. Do we see a lap record around here? I don't think these cars can do race laps faster than 31's, but I've been wrong before. Fastest race lap is usually about 3.5 to 4 seconds slower than pole lap, assuming pole will be in the 27's that would put fastest race lap right around that range, but we'll see.
Saishū kōnā

f1316

PlatinumZealot wrote:
04 Oct 2017, 00:31
f1316 wrote:

They ran one car in one spec one in another, neither sure if they had done they right thing and the one running the new parts performing a lot worse than the guy not running them; if that's 'working' then Mercedes have an interesting development path...

In seriousness, you can say it was generating the downforce but it's due to overheating tyres or whatever - ultimately they put a package on the car and had to take it off the lead car; absolutely no way that's what they intended so it ain't an upgrade.

ChrisDanger

Manoah2u wrote:

A gearbox is typically damaged by a side impact, where the driveshaft is pushed into the gearbox, like when you hit a wall. Vettel's rear tyre obviously suffered a more-or-less vertical force from hitting Stroll's wheel, sending it up and over onto the wing. There was no "slamming" from the side. The two situations are very different.

adrianjordan

I would imagine the teams design a sort of controlled failing point into the driveshaft, so that when the wheel gets ripped off, the failure is a part that can be replaced rather than destroying the whole gearbox.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

TAG

ChrisDanger wrote:
04 Oct 2017, 07:51

A gearbox is typically damaged by a side impact, where the driveshaft is pushed into the gearbox, like when you hit a wall. Vettel's rear tyre obviously suffered a more-or-less vertical force from hitting Stroll's wheel, sending it up and over onto the wing. There was no "slamming" from the side. The two situations are very different.

Ferrari urgently sending the gearbox back to Maranello for inspection means it was a big enough shunt regardless of axis. So they didn't' seem as sure as you are.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Phil

I won't be surprised if they do change it after FP2. Again: Better to act cool and prepare yourself in FP1 & FP2 for a strategy starting from 6th or lower. Given that Japan is hard to overtake on, maybe if the gearbox doesn't show much damage, they may try to run it here and change it at CotA, a track where overtaking should be easier (instead of running the risk of having a potential DNF later)?
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

ChrisDanger

TAG wrote:
04 Oct 2017, 16:01
ChrisDanger wrote:

Ferrari urgently sending the gearbox back to Maranello for inspection means it was a big enough shunt regardless of axis. So they didn't' seem as sure as you are.
I was merely saying that the test results are "believable" in response to an earlier post which I quoted. This is very different from being sure before testing that the gearbox is without a doubt okay and that tests are unnecessary, which is what you seem to be suggesting I was indicating.

TAG

ChrisDanger wrote:
04 Oct 2017, 16:26
TAG wrote:
04 Oct 2017, 16:01
ChrisDanger wrote:

I was merely saying that the test results are "believable" in response to an earlier post which I quoted. This is very different from being sure before testing that the gearbox is without a doubt okay and that tests are unnecessary, which is what you seem to be suggesting I was indicating.
But you didn't say it like that. I was beginning to think you knew better than Ferrari given your broad swath definitive statement. Thank you for the clarification.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

ringo

The crash was at low speed,the parts were probably spinning so slowly there was no damage to rotating parts; just a broken shaft,
For Sure!!