2017 United States Grand Prix - COTA, 20-22 October

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Andres125sx

Re: 2017 United States Grand Prix - COTA, 20-22 October

TAG wrote:
25 Oct 2017, 14:14
In the end it's racing and what we saw with Verstappen and Kimi was the very definition of it. People screaming year ago that there wasn't enough overtaking in the sport is what got us DRS. IMO it's not about exceeding track limits, that's barking up the wrong tree. What we want is consistency and it's what we're NOT getting from the stewards. It's the pinnacle of sports car racing god dammit. Hire a team of professional referees like we have in every other major sport.

The stewarding program as it stands now is very broken, that's the problem, focus on the real issue. I'm just going to leave this here, same track, if you like racing, you'll get my point.

https://youtu.be/7rz1GBR6YTQ
I agree with the lack of consistecy argument, they should be proffesionals and always the same

But about that video, apart from an awesome battle I think it shows the reason there are rules to keep within the lines. Track limits have been enforced since gravel traps have been replaced with tarmac. Without track limits now with those wide tarmac areas cars can go like those Porsches, much wider getting very close to the wall, and nullifying the purpose of the tarmac runouts, wich is safety.

It would be nosense to replace a gravel trap with has plenty of space to stop the cars before hitting the wall with tarmac because it´s even safer, but then allow cars to use that tarmac and go wider, faster and closer to the wall #-o

Maybe series like Porsche cup can cope with that new risk, but F1 cornering speed is so much faster it would be too dangerous and utterly stupid from those who asked for tarmac runouts because of safety reasons