2017 United States Grand Prix - COTA, 20-22 October

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
ThumbsUp

Re: 2017 United States Grand Prix - COTA, 20-22 October

^ I thought Max wasn’t asking for permission to overtake Lewis, he was asking if he could use all the power available in his car to give it all..

And in 2015 he was in a nice battle with Kimi and Vettel in COTA in his Toro Rosso.

Last year his quali was ok (4th) but his race was a little messy and ended in a DNF by a car failure.

I hope he has yet another great race this weekend.

If the race would be wet I would say:
- Ham
- Max
- Vet

When dry:
- Ham
- Vet
- Max

Off course Witje no crazy incidents..

NathanOlder

I also think both daniel and max have 1 eye on a Mercedes seat, so it wouldn't be the best thing to do by having Lewis off the road at a critical stage in the championship. If Max and Daniel were both in the hunt for a Mercedes seat but one of them had cost Lewis and Mercedes a WDC , then it could swing the decision to hire the other Red Bull driver. Especially if Lewis falls out with one of them.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Vasconia

Just_a_fan wrote:
12 Oct 2017, 16:33
SiLo wrote:
12 Oct 2017, 16:12
Vettel has to be aggressive, but can't afford it.

Lewis can be aggressive, and can afford it.

I think Lewis would defend very hard if Vettel was behind him.
I'm not so sure. If Hamilton and Vettel are up the road from everyone else, I doubt Hamilton would risk it. Take points for second place. Do that a couple of times and it's basically over. If there's a pack of five of them, then being at the front is definitely worth fighting for. However, the risk then is losing several places in one go if it goes wrong.
I tend to think that Hamilton would defend very hard because he actuallly doesn´t respect Sebastian as much as Alonso or Verstappen.

makecry

Vasconia wrote:
13 Oct 2017, 10:25
Just_a_fan wrote:
SiLo wrote:
12 Oct 2017, 16:12
Vettel has to be aggressive, but can't afford it.

Lewis can be aggressive, and can afford it.

I think Lewis would defend very hard if Vettel was behind him.
I'm not so sure. If Hamilton and Vettel are up the road from everyone else, I doubt Hamilton would risk it. Take points for second place. Do that a couple of times and it's basically over. If there's a pack of five of them, then being at the front is definitely worth fighting for. However, the risk then is losing several places in one go if it goes wrong.
I tend to think that Hamilton would defend very hard because he actuallly doesn´t respect Sebastian as much as Alonso or Verstappen.
Have we had one overtake by Vettel over Lewis this year? I don't think we have had but I might be wrong. TBH, If I were Lewis, I wouldn't trust Vettel enough to go wheel to wheel with him. He makes some really weird mistakes sometimes and could honestly take him out of the race.

garyjpaterson

ThumbsUp wrote:
13 Oct 2017, 08:49
^ I thought Max wasn’t asking for permission to overtake Lewis, he was asking if he could use all the power available in his car to give it all..
Pretty sure it was regarding the state of his tyres, specifically the front left which had a huge blister.

Vasconia

makecry wrote:
13 Oct 2017, 10:44
Vasconia wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

Have we had one overtake by Vettel over Lewis this year? I don't think we have had but I might be wrong. TBH, If I were Lewis, I wouldn't trust Vettel enough to go wheel to wheel with him. He makes some really weird mistakes sometimes and could honestly take him out of the race.
Really? we are speaking about Vettel, not Rosberg. :mrgreen:

Shrieker

Restomaniac wrote:
13 Oct 2017, 08:15

Oh and another thing, does the fact that Hamilton is now a senior and experienced F1 driver make anyone else feel old?
Me do. Fvck, man..
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Wynters

Vasconia wrote:
I'm not sure how solid this idea that Max and Lewis are best buds actually is. Hamilton's view of Max is "That guy’s dangerous, it isn’t worth the risk [to overtake]." That doesn't sound like friendship/respect nor can I imagine him saying it about Vettel or Alonso (or most of the people on the grid).

I do think he gets on well with Daniel though.

ThumbsUp

garyjpaterson wrote:
13 Oct 2017, 11:06
ThumbsUp wrote:
13 Oct 2017, 08:49
Pretty sure it was regarding the state of his tyres, specifically the front left which had a huge blister.
Yup you're right, I stand corrected! Horner mentioned it in the post race interview with SKY

Vasconia

Wynters wrote:
13 Oct 2017, 12:56
Vasconia wrote:
I'm not sure how solid this idea that Max and Lewis are best buds actually is. Hamilton's view of Max is "That guy’s dangerous, it isn’t worth the risk [to overtake]." That doesn't sound like friendship/respect nor can I imagine him saying it about Vettel or Alonso (or most of the people on the grid).

I do think he gets on well with Daniel though.
Everybody gets on well with Daniel. :mrgreen:

makecry

Vasconia wrote:
13 Oct 2017, 12:18
makecry wrote:
13 Oct 2017, 10:44
Vasconia wrote:

Really? we are speaking about Vettel, not Rosberg. :mrgreen:

IDK lol, Vettel cracks under pressure too often. Lewis certainly has psychological advantage on him lol.

iotar__

Vasconia wrote:
13 Oct 2017, 13:24
- Why wouldn't they with the starts that he's had :D ?
- Tell that to Verstappen in Hungary.

- After unremarkable and painful life '17 season is brain dead with 4 GPs to go. Its heart stopped 2 races earlier and its soul long time ago.
- I'm not sure about watching remaining races, one can only take so much excitement.

Sevach

Vasconia wrote:

I don't think he will, while both out works for him... one of the things that may get Vettel with something of a chance is if Hamilton has something like a puncture and Vettel ends up with mild endplate damage.

On a collision there's always a risk that the other party comes out better.

ClarkBT11

Anyone predicting a first turn collision. They'll be quite a few possible if it's wet. Has there been a wet race before, I can't remember one?
Last edited by ClarkBT11 on 15 Oct 2017, 23:22, edited 1 time in total.

cooken

iotar__ wrote:
13 Oct 2017, 19:41
Vasconia wrote:
13 Oct 2017, 13:24
- Why wouldn't they with the starts that he's had :D ?
- Tell that to Verstappen in Hungary.

- After unremarkable and painful life '17 season is brain dead with 4 GPs to go. Its heart stopped 2 races earlier and its soul long time ago.
- I'm not sure about watching remaining races, one can only take so much excitement.

If there are some good on track battles and we can't predict who'll win the race easily (which I believe is still the case despite what some believe), then I'm sure there will be plenty of excitement to be had.