2017 Mexico Grand Prix - Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, 27-29 October

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
GrandAxe

Re: 2017 Mexico Grand Prix - Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, 27-29 October

turbof1 wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 21:55
I'm outsmarting you at outsmarting me :D .
Nah, not my intention. It is only "diversion for the really devious".

Wynters

TAG wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 17:36
Wynters wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 17:25
komninosm wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 15:00
It's not really that funny though. This has brought disrepute to F1...
Did it though? Look at the great drivers of recent times. Senna? Deliberately rammed someone to guarantee he won the title. Prost? Deliberately rammed someone to guarantee he won the title. Schumacher? Deliberately rammed someone (and tried to ram another) to guarantee he won the title. Even if Vettel did do it deliberately (and I don't think he did) then all he is doing is following in the footsteps of his highly respected and lauded predecessors.

'WDC competitor rams rival' is not disreputable, it's business as usual.
Um, in Baku Vettel deliberately rammed someone because he was angry, not to win a title he then didn't even have the balls to own up to it, denying what he did. If he did ram into Hamilton here it was out of desperation, the title was already lost, so it would have been spite. Schumacher lost a title because he deliberately rammed someone, he was penalized for it. Senna rammed someone because the FiA was not listening to the issue and clearly he'd already lost a title because of it. It's laughable to paint those events with the same lauded predecessor brush. :)
I'm genuinely not sure why you quoted my post. Most of what you say had nothing to do with what I posted. I didn't mention Baku. Why bring such an irrelevance up? I didn't mention Vettel's motivation. Why bring it up? Your post is also inaccurate. Schumacher didn't lose the title by trying to ram Villeneuve (he was ahead in the championship), he lost the title when he missed. The penalty was an irrelevance. Earlier he won a title by ramming Hill.

If you just want to bash Vettel (or any driver), please leave me out of it.

banjo789

turbof1 wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 21:55
... Some diversion for the really devious. :twisted:
Ohh, I'll play along!
GrandAxe wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 21:03
In both these cases loss of front wing wouldn't be too high a price to pay.
Except Vettel did not got back onto at least 2d place after having to limp around the track with that broken front wing. So ultimately him using his front wing to any degree of damage, even completely taking out Hamilton would actually have been too high a price to pay :D.
It wasn't to a high a price to pay as he had nothing to lose. Only a Hamilton DNF would effectively keep the championship alive. Vettel could have taken the lead and lapped the entire field but still lost the championship on the day. Last year Hamilon won the last race of the season but lost the WDC to Rosberg in a similar set of circumstances to this year going into the race. When the WDC is statistically out of your hands then you need to influence the results of your competitiors. Hamilton tried last year by backing the field up.

NathanOlder

Have to say, everyone saying Vettel had too much to lose, and couldnt take a risk couldn't be further from the truth if they tried.

Vettel had to do something about Lewis, he couldn't just let Lewis finsh 2nd , 3rd ect. So a risky move with potential contact is the best thing Vettel could have done. It was a roll of the dice.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

komninosm

Wynters wrote:
03 Nov 2017, 05:09
TAG wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 17:36
Wynters wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 17:25
Did it though? Look at the great drivers of recent times. Senna? Deliberately rammed someone to guarantee he won the title. Prost? Deliberately rammed someone to guarantee he won the title. Schumacher? Deliberately rammed someone (and tried to ram another) to guarantee he won the title. Even if Vettel did do it deliberately (and I don't think he did) then all he is doing is following in the footsteps of his highly respected and lauded predecessors.

'WDC competitor rams rival' is not disreputable, it's business as usual.
Um, in Baku Vettel deliberately rammed someone because he was angry, not to win a title he then didn't even have the balls to own up to it, denying what he did. If he did ram into Hamilton here it was out of desperation, the title was already lost, so it would have been spite. Schumacher lost a title because he deliberately rammed someone, he was penalized for it. Senna rammed someone because the FiA was not listening to the issue and clearly he'd already lost a title because of it. It's laughable to paint those events with the same lauded predecessor brush. :)
I'm genuinely not sure why you quoted my post. Most of what you say had nothing to do with what I posted. I didn't mention Baku. Why bring such an irrelevance up? I didn't mention Vettel's motivation. Why bring it up? Your post is also inaccurate. Schumacher didn't lose the title by trying to ram Villeneuve (he was ahead in the championship), he lost the title when he missed. The penalty was an irrelevance. Earlier he won a title by ramming Hill.

If you just want to bash Vettel (or any driver), please leave me out of it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_British_Grand_Prix
Schumacher Black Flagged DSQ, 2 race ban. Of course he wasn't in Ferrari then...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1997_Euro ... _collision
Schumacher DSQ from entire season, though not a huge deal, it was quite big (he even had to take part in road safety campaign). Ferrari (and the stewards) escaped punishment as usual... He even got to keep his wins, which goes to show you how strong FIARRARI is...
Never forget.

NathanOlder

Yeah being disqualified from the whole season did absolutely nothing. He already lost the title. On that day a 3 place grid penalty in the next race would have been more damaging than removing him from the standings.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Dazed1

turbof1 wrote:
31 Oct 2017, 18:24
For the record, Vettel intentionally turning left into Hamilton already got debunked. Look for youtube channel driver61, an actual race driver, and load up the youtube video. He explained perfectly, with the video footage, that Vettel drove over the very bumpy part of the corner 3 kerb, causing a lot of oversteer. Infact, a mere moment before him counter steering into Hamilton, he already had to countersteer once.

It is obvious Vettel was fighting with the car. Another excellent point made by driver61: if Vettel was consciously thinking about driving into Hamilton, he would not have done so with the front wing. Chances are much higher you'll wreck your front wing and the defender gets away scot free. Infact, I very much believe Hamilton would have gone scot free if Vettel did not already hit Verstappen's tyre and created sharp edges. And please, do come up with something better than "oh but that was his master plan al along!".

This is what you get when people go blind in the red mist. I can certainly understand it as an initial reaction, but when we are having this discussion 2 days after, it is expected people examine the footage attentively instead of still having their emotions speak for themselves.
Sorry to dredge this up, but I watched this race again yesterday.
Two points:
1. Vettel was indeed sawing madly in that corner, but the instant after he hit Hamilton's tire he got it under control.
2. Vettel had already seen parts of his front wing sail over his head after contact with Verstappen. What did he have to lose wing-wise?