2017 Brazilian Grand Prix - Interlagos, 10-12 November

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
SectorOne

Re: 2017 Brazilian Grand Prix - Interlagos, 10-12 November

More info on Hamilton:

"And I had an old engine and a different aero package, so I had pace."

Motorsport.com
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

ChrisDanger

SectorOne wrote:
12 Nov 2017, 21:13
drunkf1fan wrote:
12 Nov 2017, 21:07
Higher engine modes also use more fuel
Pretty sure it´s the other way round.

More power means less time spent on the straights which equals less fuel spent.
Now why don´t they run higher engine modes all the time then? Because they need the engine to last more then one race.
So you're saying higher power means lower fuel consumption? Your justification of "less time on the straights" also means faster on the straights resulting in greater instantaneous drag force on the straights meaning greater energy (fuel) required per metre on the straights to overcome the greater losses. So I'm pretty sure drunkf1fan had it the right way 'round to begin with. No? Am I missing something?

GPR-A duplicate2

Anyone else feel that, Mercedes should have waited until lap 50 or 51 to pit Hamilton? I was sure that he would go until 50, but then Mercedes decided to pit him at 43. When he came out from pits on lap 44, he was trailing by 14 seconds. By lap 63, he was within 2 seconds of Raikkonen, by then his tyres did not have enough life to then attack.

He would have lost another 4 seconds, had he stayed out for another 7 or 8 laps to Kimi. He took 19 laps to come to 2 seconds of Kimi. So, ideally, if he would have pitted on lap 51, he would have come out with 18 seconds gap to Kimi.
But crucially, he would have been much faster than he was on lap 44 when he pitted and came out. Due to his higher pace, he would have probably taken less than 19 laps to close down the gap to Kmi. As there was no one at the front, except for a struggling Max (and of course back markers), he would have easily attacked Kimi with much better tyres towards the end.

To me, Mercedes missed a trick there.

i70q7m7ghw

Poor effort from Bottas. Left it wide open into T1 and then sat there waiting for the team to do something in the pitstops, only to drop it going into T2 and blow his chance.

I imagine if Merc were doing contract talks now, they wouldn't be signing him. He's going to have to show a big improvement next year, they won't sign the contract early again and I imagine they'll have a few more drivers lined up.

Good drives from Hamilton & Ricciardo, made the race fairly enjoyable.

henry

ChrisDanger wrote:
13 Nov 2017, 08:34
SectorOne wrote:
12 Nov 2017, 21:13
drunkf1fan wrote:
12 Nov 2017, 21:07
Higher engine modes also use more fuel
Pretty sure it´s the other way round.

More power means less time spent on the straights which equals less fuel spent.
Now why don´t they run higher engine modes all the time then? Because they need the engine to last more then one race.
So you're saying higher power means lower fuel consumption? Your justification of "less time on the straights" also means faster on the straights resulting in greater instantaneous drag force on the straights meaning greater energy (fuel) required per metre on the straights to overcome the greater losses. So I'm pretty sure drunkf1fan had it the right way 'round to begin with. No? Am I missing something?
Yes. You’re missing that the fuel flow rate on the straights is fixed. So less time means less fuel.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

Vasconia

I was indeed impressed by Lewis driving. He drove like a beast. Anyway I am shocked because he overtook many cars too easisly. It was a car for the race, many new parts and an aerodinamic package/set-up for the race but it was incredible.

Bottas was naive at the beginning, he should close the door. He didn´t and the race was over for him. Ferrari was slightly faster, at least Sebastian, who had no problems to hold him back. It was a very good performance by Seb.

Kimi was OK, his defense against Lewis was good too.

The Renault powered teams went back to reality. With reliability this is their true performance, 30 secons behind(Red Bull) and between 10-11th(Renault).

Great performance by Alonso, his battle with Massa and Perez was exciting. It was a great farewell for Felipe in front of this fans. I am happy for him.

Fulcrum

The Honda power deficit was very evident here. Fernando with DRS, and likely deployment, and he gained 1-2 tenths by Turn 1.

F1NAC

Vasconia wrote:
13 Nov 2017, 10:20
I was indeed impressed by Lewis driving. He drove like a beast. Anyway I am shocked because he overtook many cars too easisly. It was a car for the race, many new parts and an aerodinamic package/set-up for the race but it was incredible.

Thats what you get when you are able to run in q mode for whole race

Restomaniac

Fulcrum wrote:
13 Nov 2017, 10:51
The Honda power deficit was very evident here. Fernando with DRS, and likely deployment, and he gained 1-2 tenths by Turn 1.
It must have been SO frustrating for Alonso. All over him in S2 yet as soon as they hit clear air the Mercedes power and the Honda lack of power stops any chance of an overtake.

JonoNic

F1NAC wrote:
Vasconia wrote:

If Mercedes could get the PU to run in quali mode for its whole predicted lifespan then other manufacturers are doomed next season. This could be them testing that possibility for 2018.

I remember last season that Mercedes mentioned that they wanted to run something very special in the last race of the season. However, Hamilton's blowup last year put paid to those plans.

Sent from my SM-A700F using Tapatalk

Always find the gap then use it.

Fulcrum

Restomaniac wrote:
13 Nov 2017, 11:05
Fulcrum wrote:
13 Nov 2017, 10:51
It must have been SO frustrating for Alonso. All over him in S2 yet as soon as they hit clear air the Mercedes power and the Honda lack of power stops any chance of an overtake.
Doubly frustrating, as he got absolutely mugged on the restart, and couldn't do anything in the pit-stop phase either.

Not bad though. Alonso in the McLaren was basically faster than everyone barring the Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull drivers.

The gap between Verstappen and Alonso was 40 seconds or so by the end, and that with Alonso being stuck for the entire race behind Felipe. Granted, Verstappen took an unnecessary stop, so he would probably have been 45 seconds behind, but clear air may have allowed Alonso to be within a pit-stop's time of Verstappen (20-25 seconds).

Perhaps 4 tenths down on Verstappen's pace per lap, and on the lead lap as well? That's a very good sign for both McLaren and Honda in my opinion.

Vasconia

JonoNic wrote:
13 Nov 2017, 11:12
F1NAC wrote:
Vasconia wrote:

If Mercedes could get the PU to run in quali mode for its whole predicted lifespan then other manufacturers are doomed next season. This could be them testing that possibility for 2018.

I remember last season that Mercedes mentioned that they wanted to run something very special in the last race of the season. However, Hamilton's blowup last year put paid to those plans.

Sent from my SM-A700F using Tapatalk
It could be a PU designed to last only one or two races so it can deliver much more power.

ripper

Italian Motorsport article about LH: https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/retro ... ri-978004/

Short version: they say that LH used the "attack mode" for 30 laps (different from qualy mode, because qualy mode uses all ES and need a "cooldown lap" after), it is rumored that a MERC PU can do 40 laps in this "attack mode" in his whole life. This PU will be used for 2 gp only, so he could push harder.

Just_a_fan

It appears that the Mercedes PU is designed for a particular power and then "turned down" for reliability*. They have had amazing reliability after all. I wonder if others are designed the other way. Perhaps this way of doing things allows Mercedes to be flexible, have quali modes etc. Their PU just has more inherent performance.

* E.g. maybe it's designed for and ultimately capable of 1100hp but is run at 950hp in races. This inherently brings reliability. Others maybe design theirs to get 950hp and then try to make it reliable.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

ripper

In the same article LH says that he had a lot of fun running full power for the race, that who was in the first positions had to manage the PU as usual and they weren't able to push as hard as him. He also adds that this situation should be kept in mind when people speak about future. (I guess he's referring to FIA and 3 PU next year and/or 2021 engine)