2017 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Marina, 24-26 November

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

Re: 2017 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Marina, 24-26 November

dans79 wrote:
28 Nov 2017, 17:36
Vasconia wrote:
28 Nov 2017, 10:42
Meanwhile, RB is desperately waiting for the 2018´s PU according to Horner.
Maybe they will learn from this experience. Always blaming the engine manufacture when it doesn't work out, and taking all the credit when it does, isn't a great way to earn trust or leeway.
+1

Redbull really played his hand badly with Renault. Pretty annoying. If I were Renault I would have not provide them with engines unless I was obliged to do due to F1 contract.

baybars
baybars

foxmulder_ms wrote:
28 Nov 2017, 18:01
dans79 wrote:
28 Nov 2017, 17:36
Vasconia wrote:
28 Nov 2017, 10:42
Meanwhile, RB is desperately waiting for the 2018´s PU according to Horner.
Maybe they will learn from this experience. Always blaming the engine manufacture when it doesn't work out, and taking all the credit when it does, isn't a great way to earn trust or leeway.
+1

Redbull really played his hand badly with Renault. Pretty annoying. If I were Renault I would have not provide them with engines unless I was obliged to do due to F1 contract.
Renault will not extend Pu agreement with Redbull. I think official announcement will be on 2018 january

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Horner mentioned they cannot be without a F1 engine and thus are oblidged to give them one.

2018 January will not be any announcement regarding and end to renault partnership at all. IF they are going to break up with Renault then that will only happen if they have an engine manufacturer which will be reliable and good enough to concider replacement. There's just no way that'll be a new manufacturer - and with that i mean porsche, aston martin, cosworth, etc.etc.
So the ONLY option is Honda, which will be partnered to Toro Rosso this year and be the perfect benchmark.

Since Honda's results will be a big question mark still for 2018, and having not a single test or race being run in 2018, RedBull will refuse to part with Renault even though the contract ends in 2019 iirc. Again, they cannot be without an engine supplier so as long as there is no replacement deal, there cannot and will not be a 'separation' announcement.

If Honda does grand and build a reliable fast and win-capable engine, then RedBull will switch to Honda in 2019, or 2020 depending on when Renault's contract will end. If the Honda engine IS mighty, then surely they'll use them in 2019 season start - hell, if midseason the engine turns out to be 'godlike', they'll find a construction where toro rosso will get RB's renaults and RB will take toro rosso's honda engines no doubt.

but there will be no announcement before midseason 2018 in any way.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Manoah2u wrote:
30 Nov 2017, 10:55
hell, if midseason the engine turns out to be 'godlike', they'll find a construction where toro rosso will get RB's renaults and RB will take toro rosso's honda engines no doubt.
No chance. If the Honda is mighty then TR will benefit for the season. No way that RB can change engines midway through the season.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Just_a_fan wrote:
30 Nov 2017, 12:20
Manoah2u wrote:
hell, if midseason the engine turns out to be 'godlike', they'll find a construction where toro rosso will get RB's renaults and RB will take toro rosso's honda engines no doubt.
No chance. If the Honda is mighty then TR will benefit for the season. No way that RB can change engines midway through the season.
is there a rule against it?

if not, then i'm pretty sure they can manage it if they want to.
in the end it's down to this:

lose the WCC and WDC by sticking with (unreliable) Renault engines, or take the extra effort and sweat, adapt the car to fit the Honda engine, and go and spoon in the WCC and WDC.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

F1NAC

Manoah2u wrote:
30 Nov 2017, 12:37
Just_a_fan wrote:
Manoah2u wrote:
, or take the extra effort and sweat, adapt the car to fit the Honda engine, and go and spoon in the WCC and WDC.
I think that part isn't that simple as you've stated..

Jolle
Jolle

Manoah2u wrote:
30 Nov 2017, 12:37
Just_a_fan wrote:
Manoah2u wrote:
is there a rule against it?

if not, then i'm pretty sure they can manage it if they want to.
in the end it's down to this:

lose the WCC and WDC by sticking with (unreliable) Renault engines, or take the extra effort and sweat, adapt the car to fit the Honda engine, and go and spoon in the WCC and WDC.
They already know what the suspected power from both PU's are, it's not like they fire it up in march and suddenly "oi, it's faster then designed"

it's not magic.... it's hard work, planning, engineering, science, etc etc.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Manoah2u wrote:
Horner mentioned they cannot be without a F1 engine and thus are oblidged to give them one.

2018 January will not be any announcement regarding and end to renault partnership at all. IF they are going to break up with Renault then that will only happen if they have an engine manufacturer which will be reliable and good enough to concider replacement. There's just no way that'll be a new manufacturer - and with that i mean porsche, aston martin, cosworth, etc.etc.
So the ONLY option is Honda, which will be partnered to Toro Rosso this year and be the perfect benchmark.

Since Honda's results will be a big question mark still for 2018, and having not a single test or race being run in 2018, RedBull will refuse to part with Renault even though the contract ends in 2019 iirc. Again, they cannot be without an engine supplier so as long as there is no replacement deal, there cannot and will not be a 'separation' announcement.

If Honda does grand and build a reliable fast and win-capable engine, then RedBull will switch to Honda in 2019, or 2020 depending on when Renault's contract will end. If the Honda engine IS mighty, then surely they'll use them in 2019 season start - hell, if midseason the engine turns out to be 'godlike', they'll find a construction where toro rosso will get RB's renaults and RB will take toro rosso's honda engines no doubt.

but there will be no announcement before midseason 2018 in any way.
Not wanting a poor engine isn't the same as being without an engine. Honda is now in the RB 'house' so they would struggle to argue that they wouldn't have an engine supplier available in Renault walk away.