2018 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, 22 -25 March

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
daniellammers

Re: 2018 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, 22 -25 March

Gerhardsa wrote:
16 Mar 2018, 09:29
Well, that just means the other teams didn't do a good enough job honestly. But I don't think it will be too big a gap, if there is one at all.

What if Alonso makes it onto the first two rows of the grid? That would be epic.

Having Ham, Vet, Alo and Ves all nice and close together at the start of the race. Mouthwatering!
Can't think of anything else now you said this. Thanks...

Kidding, I'm pumped!
You won't catch me driving a race car that I have built.

- Colin Chapman

Just_a_fan

Gerhardsa wrote:
Having Ham, Vet, Alo and Ves all nice and close together at the start of the race. Mouthwatering!
Well Ricciardo and Botas will certainly be salivating. Those 4 taking each other out in the first corner would open the door for them... :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Gerhardsa

I don't mind Danny Ric winning.
I hope he can beat Max again this year.
Would be great if the top 3 teams and Alonso are close to each other. Would make for fascinating racing. Roll on Melbourne!

Sieper

Just_a_fan wrote:
16 Mar 2018, 11:08
Gerhardsa wrote:
Well Ricciardo and Botas will certainly be salivating. Those 4 taking each other out in the first corner would open the door for them... :lol:
Bottas did quite Some taking out on starts himselve last year. Ricciardo will likely remain salivating on his own.

Vasconia

Gerhardsa wrote:
Well, that just means the other teams didn't do a good enough job honestly. But I don't think it will be too big a gap, if there is one at all.

What if Alonso makes it onto the first two rows of the grid? That would be epic.

Indeed, kudos for Mercedes because they have done an amazing job. Other teams only have to blame themselves.

I do want to see a hungry Alonso in the front, I think he wil be a beast, too many years in the shadows..

TAG

Vasconia wrote:
16 Mar 2018, 12:52
I do want to see a hungry Alonso in the front, I think he wil be a beast, too many years in the shadows..
I think Alonso is one of the top three on the grid, unfortunately for him, he's in the sport at the same time Vettel and Hamilton are both of which are around the same level but are arguably better qualifiers. Unlike those two, Alonso has made some abysmal career choices. The too many years in the shadows have been his own doing.

Would love to see him in a Mercedes next year come Melbourne.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

dans79

Vasconia wrote:
16 Mar 2018, 09:16
I guess no one except a Mercedes fan would be happy with this.
I'd say it's more like people who don't like other teams not necessarily people that like Mercedes.
Last edited by dans79 on 16 Mar 2018, 15:42, edited 1 time in total.
197 104 103 7

Gerhardsa

Just as Merc falls from glory and become 3/4 best team? :lol: Wouldn't that be something. another "great" move.

But, in all seriousness, doubt that will happen.
Wolff wont have a Rosberg/Hamilton again, and Hamilton will not accept Alonso in that team.
Sad, cause you want all the best drivers in the top cars.
What if Renault is very good this year and takes the fight to the top 3? Maybe return there 2019?

The funny thing is.. Alonso's always been in one of the teams that throughout the history of the sport that will give him a chance at the championship.
Right place at the wrong time...everytime

Vasconia

TAG wrote:
16 Mar 2018, 15:30
Vasconia wrote:
I think Alonso is one of the top three on the grid, unfortunately for him, he's in the sport at the same time Vettel and Hamilton are both of which are around the same level but are arguably better qualifiers. Unlike those two, Alonso has made some abysmal career choices. The too many years in the shadows have been his own doing.

Those choices didn´t look bad at that time, life is like that, you never know which one is the good one until you try it.

Alonso is indeed not as fast as Lewis and Sebastian on qualy, but if he is third his relentless race pace can give him many victories.

TAG

Vasconia wrote:
16 Mar 2018, 16:11
TAG wrote:
16 Mar 2018, 15:30
Vasconia wrote:

Those choices didn´t look bad at that time, life is like that, you never know which one is the good one until you try it.

Alonso is indeed not as fast as Lewis and Sebastian on qualy, but if he is third his relentless race pace can give him many victories.
His starts are better than both of them, so makes up for the lesser qualifying. :)
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

awro

Talking about Alonso and McLaren...don't you think that technically the team is having an involution? I mean, it seems that they are having the same problems with two different pu (as it seems now)

GeorgeF1OM

The race simulations during F1 testing turned out that quite a few teams had to slow down their drivers in order to stay within the fuel limit of 105kg per race. As far as I remember Ferrari and Renault were among them but not Mercedes.

If this proves true, I think this could be the decisive factor resulting in another year of their dominance because fuel saving would hit the other engines on every track, regardless of weather, tarmac, tyre choices or whatsoever.

On the other hand it could probably help Force India and Williams move up into upper midfield?
Join Fantasy F1 Online Manager and prove your prediction skills for free at f1om.com

dans79

Liberty has the new intro up!
197 104 103 7

Big Mangalhit

GeorgeF1OM wrote:
16 Mar 2018, 17:53
The race simulations during F1 testing turned out that quite a few teams had to slow down their drivers in order to stay within the fuel limit of 105kg per race. As far as I remember Ferrari and Renault were among them but not Mercedes.

If this proves true, I think this could be the decisive factor resulting in another year of their dominance because fuel saving would hit the other engines on every track, regardless of weather, tarmac, tyre choices or whatsoever.

On the other hand it could probably help Force India and Williams move up into upper midfield?
Not really fuel consumption changes quite a lot depending on the characteristics of the track, some I think they fill the tanks with much less than 105kg according to some sources. Then there is races that are shorter (Monaco) that will have safety cars (singapore, etc...) So maybe that will be a factor only in some of the tracks if even a real problem.

But yeah, the first two races are considered high consumption:
Consumption is particularly high at tracks like Melbourne and Bahrain, where the first two races of 2017 will be held.
A good site to see this is the Mclaren one www.mclaren.com/formula1/2017/ There you select a track and then you press tips and circuit stats and they have the value of consumption per lap (which i guess then you multiply for the lap number to see how much it is)
Last edited by Big Mangalhit on 16 Mar 2018, 18:31, edited 1 time in total.

FrukostScones

dans79 wrote:
16 Mar 2018, 17:59
Liberty has the new intro up!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtqq_KbfUx0
what is this dated looking badly edited crap.

also. promotes F1 with unsporting behavior and violence at 0.41sec (they also had to dig real deep to find it because it barely ever happened(s) in F1.)
"we feel this custom does resonate with our brand values and clearly is inline with modern day societal norms." aka ROAD RAGE. ; )
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.