2018 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, 22 -25 March

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Moose

Re: 2018 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, 22 -25 March

With Vettel saying the qualifying lap was 1 tenth engine, and 6 tenths Hamilton, do we think we now might know who stole Alonso's 6 tents?

ENGINE TUNER

Sieper wrote:
26 Mar 2018, 21:28
You are from the USA 😊 see your avatar now. I am not too familiair with the NBA system intricacies but in Any case, here in europe the English football league was the firsthe major football country to divide the tv money more equal over all teams, and this massively benefited the whole competition, also the top teams. It went from many clubs being near bankrupt to a flourishing competition that everybody likes to follow, English football is now the pinnacle (next to Spanish).

I feel liberty should do something similar. Helping Sauber, Williams, McLaren, force India str. And taking away a bit from the tv money from merc Ferr and RBR.
NO! Merc, Ferrari & RBR earn every penny they get and deserve more. It is Liberty and before them CVC and Bernie before that who do not deserve what they get, take their money away. They should not even exist. Liberty will take home more than the top 3 teams COMBINED, why? Does anybody pay to see chase Carrie or Ross brawn? The teams make the cars and pay the dtivers, the 2 things we watch to see, therefore the teams should OWN the sport.

johnny comelately

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
27 Mar 2018, 07:22
Sieper wrote:
26 Mar 2018, 21:28
You are from the USA 😊 see your avatar now. I am not too familiair with the NBA system intricacies but in Any case, here in europe the English football league was the firsthe major football country to divide the tv money more equal over all teams, and this massively benefited the whole competition, also the top teams. It went from many clubs being near bankrupt to a flourishing competition that everybody likes to follow, English football is now the pinnacle (next to Spanish).

I feel liberty should do something similar. Helping Sauber, Williams, McLaren, force India str. And taking away a bit from the tv money from merc Ferr and RBR.
NO! Merc, Ferrari & RBR earn every penny they get and deserve more. It is Liberty and before them CVC and Bernie before that who do not deserve what they get, take their money away. They should not even exist. Liberty will take home more than the top 3 teams COMBINED, why? Does anybody pay to see chase Carrie or Ross brawn? The teams make the cars and pay the dtivers, the 2 things we watch to see, therefore the teams should OWN the sport.
Hear, hear

Andres125sx

Moose wrote:
27 Mar 2018, 05:42
do we think we now might know who stole Alonso's 6 tents?
It was Honda, but now he´s back 8)

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Mandrake

McLaren still have a lot of work on their hands. Judging from Melbourne, Merc, Ferrari, RedBull, Haas and Renault are quicker.

The fight that Alonso was mentioning is going to be the fight for last points unless the car has big hidden potential...

Nonserviam85

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
26 Mar 2018, 22:10
Nonserviam85 wrote:
26 Mar 2018, 15:32
TAG wrote:
26 Mar 2018, 15:19
Melbourne apparently needs 7 DRS sections. :P

Or everywhere! Seriously, I believe with the current cars they need to increase the DRS window to 1.5-2 seconds.
Increasing the DRS window will not help overtaking, it will only allow the trailing car catch up to the back of the leading car more quickly. The trailing car will still suffer from massive turbulence which will stop them from getting close enough to attempt a pass. Only increasing DRS length/duration or magnitude will possibly help passing, but do we really want more DRS passing?

In order to improve passing in Melbourne they need to tighten up T1 massively, and possibly t16 as well, tighten up t3, loosen up 4, tighten up t6, tighten up t9, loosen up t11, tighten up t3 massively, maybe tighten up t15.

But most importantly the cars themselves need to change, we need to go back to narrower cars, but not as narrow tires as before, raise and widen the rear wing, and massively increase underbody downforce.
Increasing the DRS window will not only help overtaking but the management of the race in general. It will allow the trailing cars to have better fuel efficiency and maybe be more aggressive with the Engine Strategy.

The wake is very dirty at 1 sec so no one tries to stay so close to get into DRS zone even if the delta is high.

iotar__

- Oh gawd, overtaking is on the agenda because Ross "I hate DRS" Brawn and RB are shouting about. :x
- It should have been a discussion topic 3-5 years ago. Makes you wonder why it wasn't? Quickest car and everlasting tyres was what the mob wanted. For pure racing and pushing 100%. Are they pushing :x ?
- It will disappear as soon as the right (us, Ferrari, McL whoever) people start winning :x .
- One-stopper/tyres + Australia + DF, size + complete lack of competitiveness = no overtaking. :x BOO-HOOO

dans79

iotar__ wrote:
27 Mar 2018, 12:21
- Oh gawd, overtaking is on the agenda because Ross "I hate DRS" Brawn and RB are shouting about. :x
- It should have been a discussion topic 3-5 years ago. Makes you wonder why it wasn't? Quickest car and everlasting tyres was what the mob wanted. For pure racing and pushing 100%. Are they pushing :x ?
- It will disappear as soon as the right (us, Ferrari, McL whoever) people start winning :x .
- One-stopper/tyres + Australia + DF, size + complete lack of competitiveness = no overtaking. :x BOO-HOOO
You have yet again conveniently forgotten that people bring up overtaking issues several times a season..............
197 104 103 7

sosic2121

"Hamilton becomes seventh winner in seven races in the Canadian Grand Prix"

IMO, almost all rule changes since then ruined racing a bit more.
Wide cars and PUs are the worst, followed by thermal degradation tires.

Vasconia

iotar__ wrote:
27 Mar 2018, 12:21
They never make things properly, they are like bad mechanics, they solve a problem just to create another one.

Faster cars with more DF? ok.
Stronger tyres to let the drivers push all the race? ok(more or less)
More engines per season to let them REALLY push? ups!!! :|

TAG

sosic2121 wrote:
27 Mar 2018, 12:57
"Hamilton becomes seventh winner in seven races in the Canadian Grand Prix"

IMO, almost all rule changes since then ruined racing a bit more.
Wide cars and PUs are the worst, followed by thermal degradation tires.
:wtf: The reason there were seven winners in seven races that year was due to the tire degradation gamble that were the Pirelli tires in the 2012 season.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

mclaren111

All they have to do is cut corners 1 to 4 and straighten the current main straight to connect just after turn 4 and a little before turn 5. The slight kink to join this should not cause any problems.

Turn 2 and 3 disappears completely.

Easy !!

digitalrurouni

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
26 Mar 2018, 22:17
digitalrurouni wrote:
26 Mar 2018, 17:02
I agree the 3 PU rule is destroying not only the race but the weekend. In the rain it seemed more and more people were inclined to not bring their cars out during free practice so that' s horrible for fans.

And I don't understand the need for Mercedes to always run a tiny gap with the cars behind them. From what I could see Lewis could extend his gap at will. He was in the clear air, he had no traffic. A 3 second gap with 2 Ferrari's right behind you and no Bottas means they were just asking for it. Simple as that. It's utterly mind boggling an outfit like Mercedes would run a race with so tiny a gap. I do not believe that they did not have pace in their car to have extended to at least 5 seconds.
They were saving tires, not the engine, they still needed to go 40 laps on that 1 set and would have to worry about tires for any restarts after that time.
Ok so going with that argument I still don't get why when Kimi pitted Hamilton had to pit. If he had more than a 3 second gap from the beginning then he would not have gotten an undercut and he could have kept going for a longer stint cause he would see Vettel is still not pitting and once Ham had done a satisfactorily long stint he could have then pitted without any thread - or he could have done a Ferrari and pitted under VSC as well!

Maynard G. Krebs

I vote for one tire for all races, super hard. Driver skill comes to the fore, lots of power sliding. You can still make them pit to change.

Danlizzyman

mclaren111 wrote:
27 Mar 2018, 14:42
All they have to do is cut corners 1 to 4 and straighten the current main straight to connect just after turn 4 and a little before turn 5. The slight kink to join this should not cause any problems.

Turn 2 and 3 disappears completely.

https://img3.autohebdosport.es/0f/11/25 ... ircuit.png

Easy !!
Edit: Mistake on my part!