2018 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, April 6-8

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
SiLo

Re: 2018 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, April 6-8

I think Merc will be fastest again and I can see Hamilton feeling he needs a bit of revenge for Australia.
Felipe Baby!

JonoNic

SiLo wrote:I think Merc will be fastest again and I can see Hamilton feeling he needs a bit of revenge for Australia.
Revenge on his team?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Always find the gap then use it.

Big Tea

djos wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 08:55
vanburin wrote:
28 Mar 2018, 15:45
ThumbsUp wrote:
28 Mar 2018, 15:37
Just as they did a few years back in practice you could use it everywhere.. But the point is that if you can use it everywhere how are you going figure out who can use it. Then I would say remove DRS and get the KERS button back.
Either a near infinite amount of detective zones (not practical) or simply when you are within 1 second of a car in front, no matter where on the circuit, you have the ability to engage DRS. It would be fun to see, even if it results in a select few areas of risk/reward on a curved-like straight. I'm thinking along the full straight section of Interlagos after Turns 13/14 and the Monaco tunnel to name a couple. Not sure how realistic this would be, if grip levels can be sustained through these sections with the DRS opened up.
A good option would be to specify that you need to be within 1 second of the car in front for a particular duration so you have to earn it.
I like that idea. I was thinking a set duration per lap if within a set gap, but your is less variable.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

daniellammers

The DRS zone can start a lot earlier on the main straight, and they can add a DRS zone between 13 and 14. It will improve the racing.
I'm predicting a Verstappen win.
You won't catch me driving a race car that I have built.

- Colin Chapman

Mandrake

Are we really suggesting even more use of DRS? What has happened to you guys? In the past DRS was an element of evil. now it's improving races?

With the engines so different in power and fuel performance, how should a Renault powered car survive? If the Ferrari indeed needs to save more fuel, how should a Ferrari powered car stay in front of a Merc with multiple DRS zones?

Get rid of it again and let drivers have use their skills again. THere will be tracks where overtaking is notoriously difficult and there will be otheres where it is easier. I feel this is again mainly driven by a certain english driver not being able to overtake with DRS despite sitting in the faster car......

Mandrake

Gothrek wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 08:34
PlatinumZealot wrote:
28 Mar 2018, 17:18
The bad taste of Melbourne is still in my mouth. Such a shambles by Mercedes. Bahrain was a track that suited the Ferrari last year. Fortunately for Mercedes, the car characteristics seem to have flipped: Ferrari are fast on the straights and Merc are fast in the corners.
No worries, all others already have a bad taste of 4 years of Mercedes dominance. You will get a good taste back later this year with another WCC/WDC
Yeah it is interesting that the outcry is much less than when Vettel dominated in the RedBull 2010-2013

The Merc is even more dominant than any other car since 1990 (I didn't check any earlier than that). Hamilton sits in a car where the 2nd driver, no matter how good or bad he/she is, is getting 2nd in the championship with a margin. Even in 2017, where Bottas switched to the new car and Ferrari was exceptionally good compared to 2014-2016, he was just a few points off Vettel. Since 2014 the championships were the easiest since a long long time. But yeah, the bitter taste seems to be rather sweet to too many here....

Gothrek

Mandrake wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 11:30
Gothrek wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 08:34
PlatinumZealot wrote:
The bad taste of Melbourne is still in my mouth. Such a shambles by Mercedes. Bahrain was a track that suited the Ferrari last year. Fortunately for Mercedes, the car characteristics seem to have flipped: Ferrari are fast on the straights and Merc are fast in the corners.
No worries, all others already have a bad taste of 4 years of Mercedes dominance. You will get a good taste back later this year with another WCC/WDC
Yeah it is interesting that the outcry is much less than when Vettel dominated in the RedBull 2010-2013

The Merc is even more dominant than any other car since 1990 (I didn't check any earlier than that). Hamilton sits in a car where the 2nd driver, no matter how good or bad he/she is, is getting 2nd in the championship with a margin. Even in 2017, where Bottas switched to the new car and Ferrari was exceptionally good compared to 2014-2016, he was just a few points off Vettel. Since 2014 the championships were the easiest since a long long time. But yeah, the bitter taste seems to be rather sweet to too many here....
It is related to UK dominated press. Hamilton = UK driver. Team of Mercedes = UK Team.
Vettel is a German, and he destroyed poor Webber (Aus ~ UK). But indeed, RBR was way less dominant. They had to fight for it. At least Vettel won a WDC one year while not having the fastest car. Hamilton's last 3 WDCs you can compare with participation trophies in that regard. (Even though Rosberg did manage to sneak one away from him).

Phil

PlatinumZealot wrote:
I believe Ferrari was quick on the straights and slow in the corners because they had the handicap of having to save fuel more [than Mercedes]. In order to counter high fuel usage on one of the most demanding tracks for fuel (Melbourne is top 3), they ran less downforce than optimal for Melbourne. This had the side effect that they were quick on the straights (less drag), but lost out in the corners. This was picked up on by AMuS, but some others reported/suggested this too. It is also in line with what analysis of the race-sims in Barcelona hinted at.

I am not sure now how high fuel usage of a track Bahrain is, but given Mercedes does seem to have the most efficient engine may allow them again to exploit an advantage during the race. If not however, then they may be closer.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

GPR-A duplicate2

Phil wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 16:04
PlatinumZealot wrote:
I believe Ferrari was quick on the straights and slow in the corners because they had the handicap of having to save fuel more [than Mercedes]. In order to counter high fuel usage on one of the most demanding tracks for fuel (Melbourne is top 3), they ran less downforce than optimal for Melbourne. This had the side effect that they were quick on the straights (less drag), but lost out in the corners. This was picked up on by AMuS, but some others reported/suggested this too. It is also in line with what analysis of the race-sims in Barcelona hinted at.

I am not sure now how high fuel usage of a track Bahrain is, but given Mercedes does seem to have the most efficient engine may allow them again to exploit an advantage during the race. If not however, then they may be closer.
Bahrain is a power circuit with a 66% full throttle per lap, which is 5% more than Melbourne. Unlike the Albert Park, Sakhir's high downforce sections allow to carry much higher speed, where the current generation cars are going to carry a lot more speed than in the past, which means more fuel requirement. If Albert Park was a headache for Ferrari, then they probably have to be even more conservative here.

PlatinumZealot

Mandrake wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 11:30

I know what you mean, but let's face it, if any other top driver was in the other Mercedes seat his results wouldn't be that much different. Check his years with other top drivers like Alonso and Button and his stats are either even or ahead. Other than Verstappen and Alonso I don't really see any other driver who can be a serious rival for Lewis in the other seat.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

amr
amr

GPR-A wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 16:11
Bahrain is a power circuit with a 66% full throttle per lap, which is 5% more than Melbourne. Unlike the Albert Park, Sakhir's high downforce sections allow to carry much higher speed, where the current generation cars are going to carry a lot more speed than in the past, which means more fuel requirement. If Albert Park was a headache for Ferrari, then they probably have to be even more conservative here.
But because it is a fast flowing circuit, with longer straits, they will probably use less wing generated downforce which will mean less drag. This might be easier for the fuel consumption than Melbourne.

Big Tea

Mandrake wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 11:13
Are we really suggesting even more use of DRS? What has happened to you guys? In the past DRS was an element of evil. now it's improving races?

With the engines so different in power and fuel performance, how should a Renault powered car survive? If the Ferrari indeed needs to save more fuel, how should a Ferrari powered car stay in front of a Merc with multiple DRS zones?

Get rid of it again and let drivers have use their skills again. THere will be tracks where overtaking is notoriously difficult and there will be otheres where it is easier. I feel this is again mainly driven by a certain english driver not being able to overtake with DRS despite sitting in the faster car......

I am against DRS, but if we have to have it it may as well be of some use other than just speed trap figures.
At least vanburin's idea would mean the driver earns the right to use it, not just get it automatically and still sit there lap after lap or cruse up behind and breeze past like a swan.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

the EDGE

I don’t mind DRS how it is at the moment. It serves the purpose it was designed for.

The problem that needs addressing is twofold, cars to difficult to follow to race and too many circuits with only 1 racing line

Then we can be rid of DRS forever

the EDGE

the EDGE wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 18:00
I don’t mind DRS how it is at the moment. It serves the purpose it was designed for.

The problem that needs addressing is twofold, cars to difficult to follow to race and too many circuits with only 1 racing line

Fix that then we can be rid of DRS forever

muramasa

Cars are difficult to follow for sure, but even if fix the aero, tyre gets useless after few attempts of attack so races like Shumi vs Alonso at Imola 2005/06, Petrov vs Alonso at 2010 Abu Dhabi will not happen.

Fix both aero and tyre. Tyre is actually bigger problem than aero, put Bridgestone/Michelin to current car and racing will be totally different, or back to what is was before Pirelli era ie normal racing.