2018 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, April 6-8

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
MtthsMlw

Re: 2018 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, April 6-8

ringo wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 15:06
The win is possible if he has a super start and jumps a few cars, but it is very unlikley.
The safety car may also be necessary for lewis have any chance. I think this is a damage limitation race.
The ferrari's are really fast here.
What was the reason for the gearbox change?
Hydraulic leak that already happened in Melbourne which couldn't be fixed.

Phil

ringo wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 15:06
The win is possible if he has a super start and jumps a few cars, but it is very unlikley.
The safety car may also be necessary for lewis have any chance. I think this is a damage limitation race.
The ferrari's are really fast here.
What was the reason for the gearbox change?
They spotted an oil leak...
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

RZS10

According to Merc he had drops in hydraulic pressure in the last race but they did not believe it could cause any damage but during a routine check of the gearbox at Bahrain they found a damaged bearing in the differential ...

source https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... atzstrafe/

Big Tea

Prob not the right thread to ask in, but can the box not be disassembled in the presence of an FIA official and seal/joint renewed?
I know the answer is obviously NO or they would have done it, but if the internals are the same and the case is the same .....
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Vanja #66

Silent Storm wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 14:58
Ricciardo got a tow from both Sainz and Hulk. Kimi had to slow down because of Sainz.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sh9eJHhhuIQ
How about an actual on board

There was no slowing down, he simply failed to put together perfect sectors. :)

Just a side comment, it's really precious reading Ferrari conspiracy theories comments here, until proof eventually spoils the party.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

djones

Did Merc run the medium in any of the FP sessions?

Maybe a S-M one stop for Hamilton.

But then they have a habit of bringing him in when there is life left in the tyres, so maybe a two stop is more realistic.

godlameroso

2 stopper so SS S S? The pit lane loss is ~24 seconds so you can lose half a second per lap to the leaders during their first stint and still be able to fight at the front. One stopping will be hard though. After 24 laps the softs have a big drop off in performance, funny however the SS isn't much faster and on top only lasts 16 laps. The medium is last year's soft tire, and last year the soft was only good for 28 or so laps, although it may be more consistent than the soft so can probably be pushed harder.
Saishū kōnā

ripper

Yes they did, Hamilton tried M for some laps in FP2

Phil

Anyone else really impressed with Hulkenberg beating Sainz?
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Silent Storm

Vanja #66 wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 15:31
Silent Storm wrote:
Ricciardo got a tow from both Sainz and Hulk. Kimi had to slow down because of Sainz.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sh9eJHhhuIQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcnUXszO6pg

Just a side comment, it's really precious reading Ferrari conspiracy theories comments here, until proof eventually spoils the party.
That is great to see, he was not blocked the way I thought he was, I wonder why Kimi is blaming the team then.
The ones with the least to say always want to be heard the most…

Phil

Silent Storm wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 16:03
That is great to see, he was not blocked the way I thought he was, I wonder why Kimi is blaming the team then.
He was complaining about having traffic on his warm up lap. Bringing the tires into the perfect operating temperature window is crucial and can account for a lot.
#Team44 supporter

godlameroso

Phil wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 15:58
Anyone else really impressed with Hulkenberg beating Sainz?
Hulkenberg has always been good at getting the grip out of the tires, I think who worked the tires better is responsible for the gap in qualifying, a lot of cars qualified out of position because of it.
Saishū kōnā

LM10

Silent Storm wrote:
Vanja #66 wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 15:31
Silent Storm wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcnUXszO6pg

Actually I forgot to send you the link of this exact video when I answered you, as I realized now. :)
That's why I wrote "This is Kimi's lap". I wanted to paste the link at the end of my comment. But you've seen it now (thank you Vanja).

LionKing

Silent Storm wrote:
I think it was just the frustration of missing pole. When I watched yesterday Kimi's onboard, it was clear he was not hampered at all.

Restomaniac

So Mercedes knew at the start of the weekend that Hamilton was probably going to run a conta strategy. Surely they will have set up the car for purely race pace instead of a hybrid set up for both race and qualy.