Qualifying-Race as a new possibility

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
LM10

Qualifying-Race as a new possibility

One of Liberty Media's biggest aims is to attract younger people for F1. An option they're thinking about is a little race on Saturdays.
On Friday there would be 2 practice sessions, like we have it now, but a new thing would be fans having access to cars and being able to take pictures. On Saturday the qualifying would not make up the starting grid for Sunday, but for a little race following qualifying and the end result of this would represent the starting grid for the real deal. Length would be about 100 km, no fuel limitations, no tyre limitations. Time set would be right before european football matches.

What are your opinions on that?

Source: https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... m-samstag/
Last edited by LM10 on 02 Apr 2018, 16:23, edited 2 times in total.

Zynerji

Re: Qualifying-Race as a new possibility

Qualifying is the ONE THING that is perfect in F1, and should not be changed, in my opinion. It has been the most thrilling part of the weekend for a few years I believe, and this year, Q2 and Q3 are both nail-biters with how close the midfield is.

Maybe go back to 3 cars per team, and run a half distance race on Saturday before qualifying with the 3rd car and a reserve driver in reverse championship order. That would make that role worthwhile, and would put on 3 hours of show on Saturdays.

3rd car would be held in race reserve for a main driver if they bin it during qualifying.

Added cost, but increased sponsor exposure and data gathering going into Qualifying. It would be something to see!

Moose

A sprint race with the engines and tyres turned up as high as you like sounds *AWESOME* to me. They'd have to increase the number of engines they're allowed to use though.

zac510

Honestly what exactly are you expecting to happen? Some miracle level of ecstasy and overtaking heaven greater than we have now? More retirements? More drivers making mistakes?

You can change the format all you like but the result of the race will be the same; the order of the teams will be the same, the most successful drivers will be the same ones as on Sunday. The race format is not dictating the enjoyment of the race like the tyres, aerodynamics and track layouts are.

It'll just be the same result as we have now, but a shorter race at a different time of day.

Just_a_fan

Liberty's idea is what? That the drivers qualify as they do now but then they have a short race thereafter using the results of qualifying to set the short race grid? And then whatever order they finish the short race is used to set the Sunday race's grid?

What do they think will change? Do they think that the top order will suddenly be slower and that others will overtake them? Do they think that the drivers will be able to overtake all of a sudden because it's a short race? What about damage caused by inevitable first corner incidences? Teams that are short of money now will be losing even more money replacing front wings and suspension parts. What about the engines and gearboxes? Will the teams be allowed "short race" and "long race" engine and gearbox allocations?

As usual, the idea hasn't been thought through at all - a media company thinking they can change the dynamic of F1 racing just by changing the format of the event. Idiots.

I do agree with the opening up of the paddock for fans to access the teams/cars. Make the teams park a race car out front and allow people to get up close. Sure, "protect" the car by having a barrier say 2m away from the car so no one can touch it/break bits off. Of course, it would also mean that the cars are fully accessible for photographs which would be good for us lot. In "lesser" race series, access to the paddock is much more open and you can get up close and personal to the cars. I think it was Bernie who brought in the "fortress paddock" idea as it enabled him to sell paddock access tickets and make even more money.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

simieski

Personally, I would like to see points awarded for qualy, less than is given out in races, maybe 10,9,8,7 etc for the top 10. Also points for practice sessions, maybe 5,4,3,2,1 for the top 5places. That way teams have motivation to get out and get on it and not just sand bag. Would Mean there is half a chance of seeing cars on track when practice is wet.
Thank you to God for making me an Atheist - Ricky Gervais.

hurril

Let's have a race to see how we should should have a race?

bauc

This will not work, its stupid idea. Qualifying in great at the moment, the only ''problem'' is, Hamilton & Vettel have 95% of all pole positions in the last 7-8 years due to the dominant cars they had/have.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

mclaren111

Zynerji wrote:
02 Apr 2018, 02:33
Qualifying is the ONE THING that is perfect in F1, and should not be changed, in my opinion. It has been the most thrilling part of the weekend for a few years I believe, and this year, Q2 and Q3 are both nail-biters with how close the midfield is.

Maybe go back to 3 cars per team, and run a half distance race on Saturday before qualifying with the 3rd car and a reserve driver in reverse championship order. That would make that role worthwhile, and would put on 3 hours of show on Saturdays.

3rd car would be held in race reserve for a main driver if they bin it during qualifying.

Added cost, but increased sponsor exposure and data gathering going into Qualifying. It would be something to see!

Agreed !!

Idiotic Idea !!! :o :? :shock: :( :o

jericho

Just let the fastest drivers race, after a honest qualy session.

n_anirudh

LM10 wrote:
02 Apr 2018, 00:52
One of Liberty Media's biggest aims is to attract younger people for F1. An option they're thinking about is a little race on Saturdays.
On Friday there would be 2 training sessions, like we have it now, but a new thing would be fans having access to cars and being able to take pictures. On Saturday the qualifying would not make up the starting grid for Sunday, but for a little race following qualifying and the end result of this would represent the starting grid for the real deal. Length would be about 100 km, no fuel limitations, no tyre limitations. Time set would be right before european football matches.

What are your opinions on that?

Source: https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... m-samstag/
You mean there aren't enough people clicking selfies. There are people in the grandstands who click photos and some are also allowed on the track...
Access to cars...what would a normal spectator do? sit in the drivers seat and take a selfie? :D :D

1 hour on saturdays is perfect, another 1 hour would be a bit of a stretch and if cars crash, it would ruin Sunday's race. There are strict parc ferme and working hours/curfews already in place..so an extra hour would not be feasible. 100km is 30 min..with preparations it is definitely 1 hour and extra tires.

To put it mildly, a terrible idea...

Zynerji

mclaren111 wrote:
02 Apr 2018, 12:27
Zynerji wrote:
02 Apr 2018, 02:33

Agreed !!

Idiotic Idea !!! :o :? :shock: :( :o
Rather than simply puking nonsense onto the internet, would you be so kind as to fully articulate a coherent thought, and explain your outstandingly inept response to my post? It would be most satisfying to try and read more of your pre-school thoughts and mind expanding pithiness. I look forward to understanding the exact part of my post that warranted insulting me on a forum of open ideas.

mclaren111

Apologies if you are offended.

Referring to Sprint Race as Idiotic in my view.

I like qualifying as is a lot =D> =D>

Zynerji

mclaren111 wrote:
02 Apr 2018, 14:30
Apologies if you are offended.

Referring to Sprint Race as Idiotic in my view.

I like qualifying as is a lot =D> =D>
Understood. I appreciate the clarity!

adb
adb

Are we sure that AMuS wasn't just fooled on April Fools' day? Especially this "no tyre and fuel limitations" sounds just idiotic