Qualifying-Race as a new possibility

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
zac510
zac510

Re: Qualifying-Race as a new possibility

There should be a rule on this forum that if you post a new idea for F1 rules, you have to list at least one negative point.

No idea is perfect and if you don't list a single negative point then you haven't thought your idea through enough.

adb
adb

If they want to make a race weekend feel more complete and interesting, they should focus on improving GP3/F3 and F2. There surely can be something done to improve publicity so teams can attract sponsors, and not depend on pay drivers/academy drivers. Just look at M3/M2/MGP, in support classes, there are only a handful of pay riders, M3/M2 could be a main show based purely on racing.

They need to take advantage of what they have in lower classes, of all the talent available. I recall Brawn saying something about making feeder series more talent friendly rather than money friendly, hope they will make use of it.

Monster Hesh
Monster Hesh

zac510 wrote:
02 Apr 2018, 08:35
Honestly what exactly are you expecting to happen? Some miracle level of ecstasy and overtaking heaven greater than we have now? More retirements? More drivers making mistakes?...
...It'll just be the same result as we have now, but a shorter race at a different time of day.
This pretty much sums it up. What are they hoping to achieve? We've seen "short Sprint Races" after safety car periods, and it rarely brings anything to the show.

May aswell just put them on the eSports LAN, give them the equal car ruling, no tyre wear and have them do a 25% race on there.

krisfx
krisfx

Zynerji wrote:
02 Apr 2018, 02:33
Qualifying is the ONE THING that is perfect in F1, and should not be changed, in my opinion. It has been the most thrilling part of the weekend for a few years I believe, and this year, Q2 and Q3 are both nail-biters with how close the midfield is.

Maybe go back to 3 cars per team, and run a half distance race on Saturday before qualifying with the 3rd car and a reserve driver in reverse championship order. That would make that role worthwhile, and would put on 3 hours of show on Saturdays.

3rd car would be held in race reserve for a main driver if they bin it during qualifying.

Added cost, but increased sponsor exposure and data gathering going into Qualifying. It would be something to see!
I disagree.

Currently qualifying usually puts the fastest car at the front. If the fastest car is always at the front then the racing will be a procession, especially under the current regulations where a car needs a good 1-1.5 seconds of extra pace to even get alongside another car.

If qualifying is the best bit, then the series should look to emulate Time Attack and just have two qualifying sessions per weekend.

It's not perfect, but neither is the current Formula.

santos
santos

krisfx wrote:
03 Apr 2018, 12:07

I disagree.

Currently qualifying usually puts the fastest car at the front.
Wasn't always like this? Would you like to see the Monaco GP, with a Sauber at the front, slowing down everyone behind for 30 laps?

krisfx
krisfx

santos wrote:
03 Apr 2018, 12:47
krisfx wrote:

I disagree.

Wasn't always like this? Would you like to see the Monaco GP, with a Sauber at the front, slowing down everyone behind for 30 laps?
Is that not better than a 30s gap from P1 to P2 with no realistic fight for the lead?

santos
santos

krisfx wrote:
03 Apr 2018, 13:03
santos wrote:
krisfx wrote:

I disagree.

Is that not better than a 30s gap from P1 to P2 with no realistic fight for the lead?
If the Sauber was the fastest in the quali, maybe because it did the lap with a dry track and the rest did the lap in the wet... yeah, that would be nice to see. I just don't like the idea of creating something that looks artificial to put the fastest cars at the back.

Vasconia

I like the idea of having the fans closer to the cars and being able to take potos,etc. But this "mini race" idea is stupid, I think qualy is pretty fine as it is now.

krisfx
krisfx

santos wrote:
03 Apr 2018, 13:26
krisfx wrote:
03 Apr 2018, 13:03
santos wrote:

If the Sauber was the fastest in the quali, maybe because it did the lap with a dry track and the rest did the lap in the wet... yeah, that would be nice to see. I just don't like the idea of creating something that looks artificial to put the fastest cars at the back.
The racing would be "artificial" is fundamentally flawed in a sport with DRS and tyres that are designed to degrade in a specific way, among other things...

wesley123
wesley123

Okay, to be clear; Hamilton grabs pole and thus starts the sprint race on saturday. He then wins the race on saturday because he is in the quickest car and thus can start the main race on pole, which he will win because he's in the quickest car?

WHAT'S THE POINT OF THAT?
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Coinage
Coinage

Practice 1- normal friday am

Practice 2- normal friday afternoon

Qual- Sat AM (replace P3) - normal Q1/Q2/Q3 for Sunday feature race

Sprint race- Sat Afternoon (replace Qual)- reverse grid for sunday feature race, rolling start to prevent start crashes- 30-40% of race distance, scaled points payout

Feature Race- Sunday afternoon- Normal parade? **(bigger/faster tracks for more racing lines/passing needed and remove fuel flow limits <more revs/more noise> / add peak power output cap)**

2 practice sessions so teams need to get on with their work. We keep the qualy everyone enjoys for the main race on sunday. Reverse grid for sprint race will mix the field up, and could possibly setup a risk/reward scenario for teams as the cars will be in Parc fermé.. Top qualifiers will not want to risk grid penalties for sunday with wrecks, maybe?

Unfortunately I dont think the racing will get much better until we get bigger tracks

Laserguru

Coinage wrote:
03 Apr 2018, 21:32

Sprint race- Sat Afternoon (replace Qual)- reverse grid for sunday feature race, rolling start to prevent start crashes- 30-40% of race distance, scaled points payout

Feature Race- Sunday afternoon- Normal parade? **(bigger/faster tracks for more racing lines/passing needed and remove fuel flow limits <more revs/more noise> / add peak power output cap)**

2 practice sessions so teams need to get on with their work. We keep the qualy everyone enjoys for the main race on sunday. Reverse grid for sprint race will mix the field up, and could possibly setup a risk/reward scenario for teams as the cars will be in Parc fermé.. Top qualifiers will not want to risk grid penalties for sunday with wrecks, maybe?

Unfortunately I dont think the racing will get much better until we get bigger tracks
April started late this year, but I would like to give it a chance to discuss it on this forum. Reversed grid for the top 10 on saturday, would it not be great to see Alonso start on pole on saterday and Vettel flat out, every lap a quali lap like in the old days, when Ferrari does not have to save on fuel or tires? Or would this not bring anything? Less lift and coast or not? Hamilton starting 10th, would be interesting to see more overtaking? How is the Merc in dirty air? How is the cooling holding when pushing longer, maybe the balance shifts to other teams? Max defending his position to Kimi and Hamilton? Maybe STR would setup their car for the sprint race only to ‘demonstrate’ maximum Honda power in the sprint. Merc saving their engine for the title battle. Sunday race like before. What points to earn on saterday would be the toughest decision. No presents, every point still has to be earned by racing. Nothing like the horrible fanboost which I hate for lack of sports but only relies on popularity, or pointless firework every lap when the cars pass the finishline to improve the ‘show’, or the awfull microphones to ‘improve’ the sound of the engines but sounds worse than anything. But to more racing I do not say no immediately :lol: . Qualifying is not too bad as it is, but anyone ever complaining on the ‘party mode’ would agree that the current qualifying is not flawless either. This concept does not alter qualifying but adds another dimension to the race. We can dump the sprint race after a weekend if it does not work, like we saw with the latest qualifying experiment (which was a monster). Was it not the idea to test this in simulations first? Anyone read about the outcome of this? If teams can already can predict that it will not work we should not give it a try.
Engineering thrives on communication. Jus soli defending WDC, love and merchandise McLaren, passion and inspiration Ferrari. Open wheel car racing and karting addict.

Zynerji

krisfx wrote:
Zynerji wrote:
02 Apr 2018, 02:33
Qualifying is the ONE THING that is perfect in F1, and should not be changed, in my opinion. It has been the most thrilling part of the weekend for a few years I believe, and this year, Q2 and Q3 are both nail-biters with how close the midfield is.

Maybe go back to 3 cars per team, and run a half distance race on Saturday before qualifying with the 3rd car and a reserve driver in reverse championship order. That would make that role worthwhile, and would put on 3 hours of show on Saturdays.

3rd car would be held in race reserve for a main driver if they bin it during qualifying.

Added cost, but increased sponsor exposure and data gathering going into Qualifying. It would be something to see!
I disagree.

Currently qualifying usually puts the fastest car at the front. If the fastest car is always at the front then the racing will be a procession, especially under the current regulations where a car needs a good 1-1.5 seconds of extra pace to even get alongside another car.

If qualifying is the best bit, then the series should look to emulate Time Attack and just have two qualifying sessions per weekend.

It's not perfect, but neither is the current Formula.
Non-meritorious grid order would need to be a pure lottery.

Racing is close when performance is close. Blame the losers, not the format.

Coinage
Coinage

Laserguru wrote:
03 Apr 2018, 23:21
Coinage wrote:
03 Apr 2018, 21:32

April started late this year, but I would like to give it a chance to discuss it on this forum. Reversed grid for the top 10 on saturday, would it not be great to see Alonso start on pole on saterday and Vettel flat out, every lap a quali lap like in the old days, when Ferrari does not have to save on fuel or tires? Or would this not bring anything? Less lift and coast or not? Hamilton starting 10th, would be interesting to see more overtaking? How is the Merc in dirty air? How is the cooling holding when pushing longer, maybe the balance shifts to other teams? Max defending his position to Kimi and Hamilton? Maybe STR would setup their car for the sprint race only to ‘demonstrate’ maximum Honda power in the sprint. Merc saving their engine for the title battle. Sunday race like before. What points to earn on saterday would be the toughest decision. No presents, every point still has to be earned by racing. Nothing like the horrible fanboost which I hate for lack of sports but only relies on popularity, or pointless firework every lap when the cars pass the finishline to improve the ‘show’, or the awfull microphones to ‘improve’ the sound of the engines but sounds worse than anything. But to more racing I do not say no immediately :lol: . Qualifying is not too bad as it is, but anyone ever complaining on the ‘party mode’ would agree that the current qualifying is not flawless either. This concept does not alter qualifying but adds another dimension to the race. We can dump the sprint race after a weekend if it does not work, like we saw with the latest qualifying experiment (which was a monster). Was it not the idea to test this in simulations first? Anyone read about the outcome of this? If teams can already can predict that it will not work we should not give it a try.
I think a full grid flip for the sprint race would keep the overall midfield race pretty interesting giving the further back cars a consistent chance at bagging a few points here and there along with who wants to push harder for the sprint race for the win or even some Qualy strategy variations for better sprint race positioning.

I want to see cars on track pushing and racing... It would present some great action for saturday and the normal hype/build up for sunday.

As a fan, that would be a great schedule IMO, but will it work... who knows with the current regs and the passing difficulty....

Mandrake
Mandrake

So, I watched the first indycar race in St. Petersburg. And it was great!

The cars are sliding around. The cars have marginal damage even if there is a very big hit. There are no trizillion carbon shreds on the track risking tire life. Did the cars look slower than F1? - Yes. Was I bothered? - No!

What did Indycar do? Reduce downforce. And I like the result......Qualifying race is not going to change things....