2018 Chinese Grand Prix - Shanghai, April 13-15

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
SiLo

Re: 2018 Chinese Grand Prix - Shanghai, April 13-15

I'm gonna have to go Ham pole and win again. He was very fast in Bahrain all race and in Melbourne, just some bad luck in both meant he didn't win / wasn't right there fighting Vettel.

I think the Vettel wins are good for the championship because Ham looks like he is driving very well right now and that Merc looks quick.
Felipe Baby!

Vettel165

Hard to say really what to expect, hope that a brand new floor works for Ferrari. Remember Ferrari were the fastest on the straights in Bahrain, in China the straight is the longest on the calendar together with Baku. It will be crucial for all teams what they will nail the setup, its looking like there could be some rain on friday, but we have to wait until thursday for more information about the weather. Saturday, sunday should be dry, sunday maybe even sunny with temperatures reaching 19-20C. Cool weather should suit Mercedes more, US tyres for Q3 should play into Ferraris hands. With a perfect setup I am guessing Ferrari has a shot for pole, but they really have to nail it. Otherwise I see Hamilton on pole. That long-wheel based car (SF71H) with low drag (good top speed)+ high rake (still with good downforce and traction) looks like a perfect combination, if you can get car to be working with full potential. SF71H is a revolution of a car, Mercedes, RBR cars are an evolution. So I see more potential with the updates for improvement on AERO side for Ferrari than Mercedes,RBR this season. We will see, I am a big Vettel, Ferrari fan but even after two wins, I will still keep my feet on the ground, because everything is possible in f1.
Last edited by Vettel165 on 10 Apr 2018, 15:17, edited 1 time in total.

TheFluffy
TheFluffy

Vettel165 wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 12:17
Hard to say really what to expect, hope that a brand new floor works for Ferrari. Remember Ferrari were the fastest on the straights in Bahrain, in China the straight is the longest on the calendar together with Baku.
Isn't Abu Dhabi long straight the second longest?

etusch

SiLo wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 12:01
I'm gonna have to go Ham pole and win again. He was very fast in Bahrain all race and in Melbourne, just some bad luck in both meant he didn't win / wasn't right there fighting Vettel.

I think the Vettel wins are good for the championship because Ham looks like he is driving very well right now and that Merc looks quick.
It was second race he tried to recover and maybe much stess on engine. If they live same again they start to consern about engine life. Ferrari look more relaxed about engine life.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 11:46
Restomaniac wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 10:14
Let us see what happens when teams have to actually decide on a 1 stop and slower in Qualy and a 2 stoppers and faster in Qualy.
If any of the big 3 can make it to Q3 by running Softs in Q2 then they won't have to 2 stop(we say this in Australia by RBR & in Bahrain with HAM. But then they have to factor how much they could lose off the start to the cars running US. I can see maybe RIC trying to run softs in Q2, or any of the top 6 with a grid penalty.
The delta between the Soft and the US should make that impossible. Choose to start on the Soft and you're not going to be in Q3.

That's the point. Start on the Soft and you probably at best starting 11th but you're 1 stopping. Start in the US and you're 2 stopping.

It will mix the racing up. Different compounds with differing amounts of wear up and down the grid during the race.

SparkyAMG

I expect Mercedes to complete Q2 on the soft, and then probably try for a one-stop on the Medium if it works in China's track conditions.
Last edited by SparkyAMG on 11 Apr 2018, 14:34, edited 1 time in total.

MtthsMlw

Right now it looks like wet FP1 and FP2.
Dry on Saturday and Sunday.
weather.com

Sieper

I am hoping for no smog/fog. Getting up out of bed at 04:00 to watch a FP session and then seeing no driving whatsoever is a bit of an disappointment!

BrunoH
BrunoH

If wet on FP1 and Fp2, then botas tire strategy might not be a good one... if so i guess the likes of Mclaren are going to be good, means they most likely will save the medium for race only in case they need to change strategy, and if they dont need , they have a lot of ultras

Vanja #66

These were strategies last year:

I don't see anyone doing one-stop this year, looks to be too cold for medium tyres.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

GPR-A duplicate2

Vanja #66 wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 15:55
These were strategies last year:

https://www.jamesallenonf1.com/wp-conte ... .36.45.png

I don't see anyone doing one-stop this year, looks to be too cold for medium tyres.
Last year, there was a drama of VSC and SC early in the race and that is why we saw two stoppers. If race unfolds without any drama, it would be a given that it is a one stopper. Q2 on Softs is a no brainer. Ultras would just be Q3 tyres.

Vanja #66

GPR-A wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 15:57
Last year, there was a drama of VSC and SC early in the race and that is why we saw two stoppers. If race unfolds without any drama, it would be a given that it is a one stopper. Q2 on Softs is a no brainer. Ultras would just be Q3 tyres.
Haha, good one mate :)
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

ripper
ripper

I wonder if Ferrari wasn't too aggressive with only 3 Softs

iotar__

BrunoH wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 15:00
If wet on FP1 and Fp2, then botas tire strategy might not be a good one... if so i guess the likes of Mclaren are going to be good, means they most likely will save the medium for race only in case they need to change strategy, and if they dont need , they have a lot of ultras
- I think people draw too many conclusions from Bahrain and its brilliant (bad pitstop) ONE-STOPPER vs (forced) ONE-STOPPER non drama strategy :wink:. For one or two stops you don't need tyre saving or planning, 3 tyres are enough.
- Strategy depends on starting position. RB tried softs because they were behind in Q. My guess is that teams that are aiming for pole would be reluctant to try it. Or if they do (just in case,we'll see about S-US differences) it doesn't have to be related to one-stopper.

- Same for one vs two stops. It's not a given that a one stopper is quicker and overtaking impossible. Especially for free air car and risks related to harder tyres at the start.

godlameroso

Hamilton is mighty around here, take a look at his qualifying lap, the way he exits turn 3 and goes through 4 is nothing short of magic, the line he takes is very unique. Common sense would tell you to take the inside line and take a straight shot. Hamilton brakes early right before the dip, positions the car and rides the outside of the turn, it's very hard to copy this line let alone make it work like he does.
Saishū kōnā