2018 Chinese Grand Prix - Shanghai, April 13-15

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.

figo

Re: 2018 Chinese Grand Prix - Shanghai, April 13-15

I think 1 stop would be the choice for the top 3 teams. For sure they are able to be in top 10 during Q2 using the Soft tyre and then just using the Ultrasoft for the best possible position in Q3.
During the race, around the lap 25 will make the one and only stop, put the Medium tyres on and make it to the end easily.
The Medium tyre,i think will be working well, because this years Medium is last years Soft. Remember last year we had similar temperatures during the race. Also during winter testing the Medium tyre was the tyre of choice for most of the teams during their race simulations, with very nice and consistent laptimes. Note that Shanghai is a high-downforce circuit, so the Medium tyre will get to the operate window quite easily.
Probably the fastest strategy is 2 stops ( Us-Us-S), but is highly unlikely at least for the top teams, because track position is so important. And probably they will not be able to push flat out to extract everything from each set of tyres, due to fuel limitations.

As for the Quali l think Mercedes will be the fastest, but only marginal. Probably Ferraris Sebastian Vettel will split the two Mercedes and get on the front row P2.
There is a rumor that Ferrari will bring a new floor which will be a quite big step forward but we have to wait and see.
I see Redbulls P5 P6 with some margin.

As for the race is expected to be dry and i think the top 3 teams will have similar race peace, so i am looking forward for an exiting Sunday with many overtakes and different strategies. :D :D :D

godlameroso

The soft tire will be the worst tire to use in this race if it's dry.

Rain all day Friday, dry Saturday and Sunday temperatures between 20 and 17C. Friday being the warmest day. Teams get a tail wind down the main straight. This also means they get a nasty cross wind through the all important final turn, quite possibly the hardest turn on the whole track, not that the rest of it is any easier.
Last edited by godlameroso on 10 Apr 2018, 17:10, edited 1 time in total.
Saishū kōnā

santos

It's hard to belive that someone is going to try to stop just once. There was always two stops, and in the last two seasons, some drivers stoped 3, some even more.

godlameroso

It could work but it's risky, go to lap 16 on the opening stint then do 40 laps on mediums. The problem is neither the soft nor the ultra soft will last 20 laps to make the one stopper really work as a normal strategy. It's always going to end with a car hanging on for dear life towards the end of the race. Only the top 3 can pull off the one stopper, they're the only ones with an early race pace advantage. Everyone else has to go 2 stops or they'll be sitting ducks, Ericcson got lucky he stayed out of trouble, but he wouldn't have been able to make a one stop work if other cars hadn't dropped out.
Saishū kōnā

FLuidd

first things first + qualifying

By the end of first corner in china, ferrari will have a slight edge since they seem to have the highest top speed, now while mercedes might go slightly ahead before the second long straight, ferrari i suspect will be close to mercedes by the end of the second straight, then I do not know because the new floor that is to arrive in china will have to bring ferrari as close as possible if not ahead of mercedes by the end of the lap.

in the race, whoever gets pole will have the highest chance of winning. duhhhh

I will like to underline the fact that IF LEWIS FINISHES AGAIN BEHIND VETTEL THEN HE IS IN DEEP --- even if we are talking about a 21 race championship.

About red bull, they will not be able to challenge for the first line in quali. in the race who knows what that dumpster renault engine will do.

BTW, WHAT IS THE OVERTAKING DELTA FOR THIS CHINA TRACK?

Big Tea

Even if Hamilton finishes second this time out, it is still just about one DNF. Sounds a lot worse than it actually is as Hamilton has made the most of things in bad races. It would be SV 75 LH 51.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

ENGINE TUNER

Restomaniac wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 13:32
ENGINE TUNER wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 11:46
Restomaniac wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 10:14
Let us see what happens when teams have to actually decide on a 1 stop and slower in Qualy and a 2 stoppers and faster in Qualy.
If any of the big 3 can make it to Q3 by running Softs in Q2 then they won't have to 2 stop(we say this in Australia by RBR & in Bahrain with HAM. But then they have to factor how much they could lose off the start to the cars running US. I can see maybe RIC trying to run softs in Q2, or any of the top 6 with a grid penalty.
The delta between the Soft and the US should make that impossible. Choose to start on the Soft and you're not going to be in Q3.

That's the point. Start on the Soft and you probably at best starting 11th but you're 1 stopping. Start in the US and you're 2 stopping.

It will mix the racing up. Different compounds with differing amounts of wear up and down the grid during the race.
Not necessarily, did you se the q2 lap HAM put down in Bahrain on the softs? It was spectacular. Yes the US is a step softer, but according to Pirelli they are only .2s faster than the SS.

Vettel165

Big Tea wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 20:29
Even if Hamilton finishes second this time out, it is still just about one DNF. Sounds a lot worse than it actually is as Hamilton has made the most of things in bad races. It would be SV 75 LH 51.
I agree its a very long season this year. WDC will be the driver who will be the most consistent and with the most reliable car.

Restomaniac

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 20:32
Restomaniac wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 13:32
ENGINE TUNER wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 11:46

If any of the big 3 can make it to Q3 by running Softs in Q2 then they won't have to 2 stop(we say this in Australia by RBR & in Bahrain with HAM. But then they have to factor how much they could lose off the start to the cars running US. I can see maybe RIC trying to run softs in Q2, or any of the top 6 with a grid penalty.
The delta between the Soft and the US should make that impossible. Choose to start on the Soft and you're not going to be in Q3.

That's the point. Start on the Soft and you probably at best starting 11th but you're 1 stopping. Start in the US and you're 2 stopping.

It will mix the racing up. Different compounds with differing amounts of wear up and down the grid during the race.
Not necessarily, did you se the q2 lap HAM put down in Bahrain on the softs? It was spectacular. Yes the US is a step softer, but according to Pirelli they are only .2s faster than the SS.
2 steps softer is a hell of a gap to overcome.

ENGINE TUNER

Restomaniac wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 20:37
2 steps softer is a hell of a gap to overcome.
According to Pirelli the delta between the US and SS is 2 tenths and only another 2 tenths to the S. So they would only need a 4 tenths advantage from the car/driver. I'm pretty sure both Merc & Ferrari have that in hand. But, that is if you trust Pirelli's dodgy numbers.

foxmulder_ms

Hamilton will win this one by 30 seconds. :p

dans79

foxmulder_ms wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 21:30
The trend so far this season is do just enough to win regardless of who has been leading, thanks to the stupid PU rules.
197 104 103 7

etusch

foxmulder_ms wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 21:30
And you will watch the race just for proof of what you already know

foxmulder_ms

etusch wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 21:58
foxmulder_ms wrote: