2018 Chinese Grand Prix - Shanghai, April 13-15

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Brenton
Brenton

Re: 2018 Chinese Grand Prix - Shanghai, April 13-15

Watching last year's pole, looks like a low downforce track? Almost all of the cornering is done at low speed, discounting the cornering done full throttle. A lot more full throttle cornering than when I sim raced this track in Grand Prix 4 (2001), where low downforce hurt the exit onto the longest straight, reducing the straight line gains of lower drag. Turns 10 and 13 were quite a challenge, significantly affecting laptime.

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

dans79 wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 21:33
foxmulder_ms wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 21:30
Hamilton will win this one by 30 seconds. :p
The trend so far this season is do just enough to win regardless of who has been leading, thanks to the stupid PU rules.
Winning by going only as fast as necessary has been around for a very long time and has existed long before the current PU usage regulations.

Don't believe me? Then go ask Jackie Stewart.

8 engines were allowed in 2009, 3 might be 1 too few for 2018 but that is what the PU manufacturers asked for.

johnny vee

I can't help but think that with FP1 and FP2 looking to be wet sessions teams will only have FP3 to do qualy run and race simulation and setup. It's going to be crazy. We know that teams have a lot of information about the tyres but there could still be a surprise that a specific tyre might not last as long as calculated or maybe last longer...
Maybe we will see someone try to repeat Vettel's 39 lap stint on softs.
"Because you didn't come here to make the choice, you've already made it. You're here to try to understand why you made it. I thought you'd have figured that out by now." The Oracle, Matrix Reloaded

designf1
designf1

Vettel165

For this GP you still need a very good engine, otherwise you will get destroyed on the two main straights. I am guessing RBR with Renault engine will lose at least 0,3-0,4s per lap on this two straights comparing to Mercedes, Ferrari cars. Its gonna be interesting to watch if Ferrari will be still the fastest at the end of that (1200 m) straight in China.

A great italian article, comparing the race pace of certain teams in Bahrain. Ferrari was a little bit faster than Mercedes on the beginning of each tyre stint, Mercedes at the end of it. Bottas was on average slower than Seb on the same SS tyres. Hamilton was faster than Seb because he had an pure race setup,he knew that he will start out of top 5 because of his penalty. I think Ferraris pure pace like we saw in qualy was this time better than Mercedes, with being equal to them in the race.

http://www.f1analisitecnica.com/2018/04 ... el-ha.html

Juzh

Vettel165 wrote:
11 Apr 2018, 10:59
For this GP you still need a very good engine, otherwise you will get destroyed on the two main straights. I am guessing RBR with Renault engine will lose at least 0,3-0,4s per lap on this two straights comparing to Mercedes, Ferrari cars
Long flat out left hander in S2 is all about ICE power. Last year ferrari and mercedes both maintained speed of around 272-274 kph, while RB was only able to do ~267 (also being flat). So loses are not going to only from the 2 main straights.

johnny vee

Interesting thing when I added up points for the engines
Ferrari - 77
Renault - 57
Mercedes - 56
Honda - 12

I predict Mercedes will overtake Renault in China
"Because you didn't come here to make the choice, you've already made it. You're here to try to understand why you made it. I thought you'd have figured that out by now." The Oracle, Matrix Reloaded

santos
santos

Could Ferrari being pushing the engine more then Mercedes, and trying to build a gap to start managing it when another engine is introduced?

gargour87
gargour87

there is a chance that Ferrari are planning to use 4 Engines instead on 3.

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

santos wrote:
11 Apr 2018, 13:13
Could Ferrari being pushing the engine more then Mercedes, and trying to build a gap to start managing it when another engine is introduced?
Seems reasonable. I think more teams than we realise will end up using 4 engines. However, it could also just be a great engine... time will tell

giantfan10
giantfan10

santos wrote:
Conventional wisdoms and facts from on track says that its Mercedes who has been pushing their engine more...
Mercedes has been the team chasing and fighting overheating for 2 races now while vettel in the lead has been managing his pace for 2 races now...kimi only has 1.5 races on his engine....
You may well be right but it sure doesnt look that way based on the information we have so far

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

Juzh wrote:
11 Apr 2018, 11:40
Vettel165 wrote:
For this GP you still need a very good engine, otherwise you will get destroyed on the two main straights. I am guessing RBR with Renault engine will lose at least 0,3-0,4s per lap on this two straights comparing to Mercedes, Ferrari cars
Long flat out left hander in S2 is all about ICE power. Last year ferrari and mercedes both maintained speed of around 272-274 kph, while RB was only able to do ~267 (also being flat). So loses are not going to only from the 2 main straights.
This will be an interesting race to see how the Mercedes/Ferrari concepts compare.

I think the Mercedes is faster than the Ferrari just based on winter testing/paddock consensus and their pace in Australia.

However, the Ferrari seems really efficient. They had the highest top speeds in every sector in Australia and, as far as I’m aware, Bahrain. China is all about mid and high speed corners and obviously long straights/top speed. I wonder if Ferrari efficiency can overcome a historical merc advantage at this track...

The merc is better than Ferrari in cooler conditions, but sees less of an improvement on softer tyres. And there is a gap in compounds this race...

I think Ferrari really need Friday sessions to get their setup in the zone so a wet practice(s) could really screw them over.

Marc Gene thinks China will be a harder day out for Ferrari though...

All in all, so many variables! This is a great season so far. Legitimate unknowns still being flung around, different strengths from different teams... last race was amazing. I’m so pumped.

gargour87
gargour87

Will teams start introducing updates this week?

johnny vee

JPBD1990 wrote:
11 Apr 2018, 14:28
Juzh wrote:
11 Apr 2018, 11:40
Vettel165 wrote:
This will be an interesting race to see how the Mercedes/Ferrari concepts compare.

I think the Mercedes is faster than the Ferrari just based on winter testing/paddock consensus and their pace in Australia.

However, the Ferrari seems really efficient. They had the highest top speeds in every sector in Australia and, as far as I’m aware, Bahrain. China is all about mid and high speed corners and obviously long straights/top speed. I wonder if Ferrari efficiency can overcome a historical merc advantage at this track...

The merc is better than Ferrari in cooler conditions, but sees less of an improvement on softer tyres. And there is a gap in compounds this race...

I think Ferrari really need Friday sessions to get their setup in the zone so a wet practice(s) could really screw them over.

Marc Gene thinks China will be a harder day out for Ferrari though...

All in all, so many variables! This is a great season so far. Legitimate unknowns still being flung around, different strengths from different teams... last race was amazing. I’m so pumped.
nice post man
agreed, 2018 is amazing so far

f1316
f1316

JPBD1990 wrote:
11 Apr 2018, 14:23
santos wrote:
Seems reasonable. I think more teams than we realise will end up using 4 engines. However, it could also just be a great engine... time will tell
Marchionne was clear that Ferrari vetoed a late move back to 4 PUs specifically because they had invested so much in improving reliability of their engine in preparation for the 3 PU rule. So I suspect if they had any intention of using 4 PUs, they wouldn’t have vetoed being able to do that penalty free.

As far as the race is concerned, I don’t think it’s the nailed on 1 stop (S,M) that some are suggesting - it depends, of course, on the delta from US to S, the temperature, and the life of the US in the race. I think, if we’re lucky, we could be in for a similar race to 2013 where there were two groups running counter strategies and overlapping at certain points.