2018 Chinese Grand Prix - Shanghai, April 13-15

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
matt_b

Re: 2018 Chinese Grand Prix - Shanghai, April 13-15

Another great post race analysis

Sierra117

bonjon1979 wrote:
18 Apr 2018, 21:40
digitalrurouni wrote:
18 Apr 2018, 16:49
Am I right in saying the fastest laps and average lap times for this year's race is just about the same as those of last year's Chinese race? It just seems to me the cars have gotten faster in qualifying by a bit but that does not translate necessarily in to race lap performance?
I think it’s clear that they’re protecting their engines in the race
Plus I'm sure the halo has a heavy tax on overall aero
NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

iotar__

bonjon1979 wrote:
digitalrurouni wrote:
Am I right in saying the fastest laps and average lap times for this year's race is just about the same as those of last year's Chinese race? It just seems to me the cars have gotten faster in qualifying by a bit but that does not translate necessarily in to race lap performance?
- 3 engines bogeyman responsible for all evil can't die. They were saving engines last season too.
- How about stretching one stoppers on softer tyres and fuel saving?

digitalrurouni

Sierra117 wrote:
18 Apr 2018, 21:57
bonjon1979 wrote:
digitalrurouni wrote:
Plus I'm sure the halo has a heavy tax on overall aero
Hey the halo totally forgot about that! That is a good point but that would also affect one lap pace no as in qualifying?

I really think James Vowles should be fired by the Mercedes team. They didn't show it on the camera but looks like Hamilton was in the pit window as well when the safety car came out. I would have thought rather simplistically I might add that hey whenever there is a safety car and you still got a whole lot of laps left over and you have a fresher set of tires left in the pits - CHANGE THEM!!!

JPBD1990

I love how if one mistake is made, everyone says you should fire the person responsible. Then when a team goes on a constant firing spree (Ferrari circa 2009-2016) they’re equally criticised.

Merc has just won 3 consecutive championships. I don’t think they’re in a particular rush to fire anyone. Additionally, their strategist flat out beat ferrari’s And they would have won the race without the safety car, despite arguably having the slower car (vs Ferrari). So.... some perspective please.

carisi2k

I agree that I don't think anybody is getting fired at Mercedes. I don't think for one moment that either Mercedes or Ferrari would have pitted vettel or bottas even if they had the chance to pit. Vettel especially would have ended up behind another Mercedes and he isn't anywhere near as good at overtaking as Daniel is. If Bottas pits and Sebastian doesn't then the Ferrari was fast enough to have disappeared in any case even on older mediums.

Vasconia

JPBD1990 wrote:
20 Apr 2018, 02:06
I love how if one mistake is made, everyone says you should fire the person responsible. Then when a team goes on a constant firing spree (Ferrari circa 2009-2016) they’re equally criticised.

Merc has just won 3 consecutive championships. I don’t think they’re in a particular rush to fire anyone. Additionally, their strategist flat out beat ferrari’s And they would have won the race without the safety car, despite arguably having the slower car (vs Ferrari). So.... some perspective please.
I would like to see if those people accept to be fired only for making one mistake on their jobs. #-o

Vettel165

In equal (reliable) cars Seb is probably faster as Daniel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXYO_3DTi4I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5g33YGpuo8

He had no motivation after his 2013 season, because he achieved everything, his reliability also that year was really awful, he had to retire in Australia, had problems in Austria with the engine, had to retire while infront of Daniel in Monaco after 2 laps and some minor issues nearly everywhere. Daniel had a much better, reliable car in every single race that season, the case was that by RBR it is always like this, one car is working, the other one is having major issues nearly every race. I would like to see Daniel, Seb having again a team-fight in cars that they both like, I see Vettel infront of Daniel if this happens. Remember its about double standards here, if Vettel is slower than Ricci based on 2014 season, than Ricci in slower as the torpedo guy also. Which is a joke of course, Seb is a 4-time world champion, the best driver beside Lewis, Alonso on the grid. Yes Daniel is very fast, but he will have to fix his bad qualy pace and also his starts.

carisi2k

I didn't say Daniel was faster then Vettel. I said he was better at overtaking then him.

Vettel165

carisi2k wrote:
20 Apr 2018, 11:24
I didn't say Daniel was faster then Vettel. I said he was better at overtaking then him.
With that I agree.

Andres125sx

Vasconia wrote:
20 Apr 2018, 09:17
JPBD1990 wrote:

I would like to see if those people accept to be fired only for making one mistake on their jobs. #-o
No way #-o :roll: :mrgreen:

zeph

JPBD1990 wrote:
Merc has just won 3 consecutive championships.
Four, actually.

JPBD1990

zeph wrote:
21 Apr 2018, 00:21
JPBD1990 wrote:
Merc has just won 3 consecutive championships.
Four, actually.
Lol thanks. But ya know, point stands

mzso

Hi!

Are the fuel usage statistics available somewhere? I happened on a partial table but I couldn't find the whole thing.

McHonda

Vettel165 wrote:
20 Apr 2018, 10:15
In equal (reliable) cars Seb is probably faster as Daniel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXYO_3DTi4I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5g33YGpuo8

He had no motivation after his 2013 season, because he achieved everything, his reliability also that year was really awful, he had to retire in Australia, had problems in Austria with the engine, had to retire while infront of Daniel in Monaco after 2 laps and some minor issues nearly everywhere. Daniel had a much better, reliable car in every single race that season, the case was that by RBR it is always like this, one car is working, the other one is having major issues nearly every race. I would like to see Daniel, Seb having again a team-fight in cars that they both like, I see Vettel infront of Daniel if this happens. Remember its about double standards here, if Vettel is slower than Ricci based on 2014 season, than Ricci in slower as the torpedo guy also. Which is a joke of course, Seb is a 4-time world champion, the best driver beside Lewis, Alonso on the grid. Yes Daniel is very fast, but he will have to fix his bad qualy pace and also his starts.
Reliability wasn't that lopsided actually so it wasn't anything like the Kvyat-Dan season where it was only reliability that caused that loss. Dan had the DQ in Oz,the Malaysia pit crew error which ruined that race and then compromised Bahrain. Hardly a better car in every race.

Dan beat Seb in every area bar the wet sessions and could get far more out of his tyres in the dry on race day which is what the biggest difference was between them that year. It's nonsense that Dan had a better car as well, it was exactly the same but he was just better with it, especially on Sunday. Seb could've won those races too but he got jumped in the pits in Canada with an overcut, spun in Hungary and wen't off twice in Spa.

I'm sure Seb improved on these tyres with these engines across a stint so who knows how a rematch would go but Dan beat Seb fair and square in 2014.