2018 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku, April 27-29

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
F1Krof

Re: 2018 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku, April 27-29

Mercedes hat the sleekest most aerodynamic efficient car last year. The surface was smooth, tyres more reliable and they had a pretty significant power advantage over Ferrari.

This year though, it's the other way around. Mercedes doesn't have the most efficient aerodynamic car (Ferrari does), Mercedes doesn't have any power advantage (at best equal to Ferrari, consensus is that they're a bit behind Ferrari this year), and yes Mercedes is nowhere near at being the best at managing tyre temperatures and extracting the maximum performance out of them.

So my conclusion: Ferrari will get the W with a significant margin. :D
Wroom wroom

DVB

That's 24 seconds of full throttle in the last part of the lap. Oh boy, I like this track!
Everybody is a Ferrari fan.

Zynerji

Probably my least favorite track...

zibby43

F1Krof wrote:
21 Apr 2018, 21:18
. . . Mercedes is nowhere near at being the best at managing tyre temperatures and extracting the maximum performance out of them.
Over a single lap, they have definitely, at times (e.g., China) struggled with keeping the tires in the window. They didn't struggle in Melbourne or Barcelona, though.

Hamilton struggled with overheating his tires in the race in China, but otherwise, the W09 has been significantly better than the W08 in 2 crucial areas thus far:

1) Race pace. Last year, Ferrari was clearly the quickest car in race trim. That was evident in Melbourne in '17. Also, Mercedes went backward during the race in Bahrain in '17.

This year, the Merc was the fastest car in Australia. They were neck and neck with Ferrari in terms of race pace in both Bahrain and China. In China, Bottas, Merc's #2, was able to keep within 3.3 sec of Vettel and had enough pace in the tires to pull off a beautifully executed undercut.

2) Tire degradation management in race trim. The W08 killed its rear tires early in the '17 season. Merc was clearly suffering from the results of the last-minute suspension ban. And the car was overweight (nullifies ability to use ballast for easy balancing, etc.).

This rear tire degradation issue severely compromised Merc's race pace.

The W09 has shown itself to be near the top of the field, along with Ferrari, in terms of tire degradation/management.

Fulcrum

The onboard view shows just how monotonous this track is. 90 degree left, downshift to 3rd gear, 90 degree right, 3rd gear, repeat, repeat, repeat. Dull. Which is a shame considering the layout has the potential to be much more challenging/varied.

JPBD1990

I’m very interested to see how this race goes. I think Ferrari V Mercedes will be fascinating.

Ferrari seem to have better engine modes for quali but merc seem to be able to run higher engine modes in the race. With such a long straight, that definitely plays into Mercedes hands. I see Ferrari doing well in qualifying though.

In the last two years Ferrari also struggled with tyre temperatures here, where merc seemed to be able to get the tyres in the window despite relatively low ambient and track temps. In China Ferrari showed that they mayyy be on top of that, so this could neutralise that aspect of the comparison.

We’re yet to see either car on one of these modern “smooth” track surfaces as the last 3 races are all relatively abrasive so that’ll be interesting. Again, historically that has suited Mercedes.

IF Ferrari can beat Mercedes here then I think it’s confidently game on all season. If they’re behind then I think it’s BAU and the last few may have just been a rare Mercedes blip.

All in all, can’t f***ing wait. Bring it on!

godlameroso

It was a little warmer in Melbourne than it will be in Baku. Will be interesting to see what kind of aero package teams bring.
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

Zynerji wrote:
21 Apr 2018, 23:28
Why? Too many chicanes and 90 degree corners? Overtaking is possible, with the increased drag and aero requirements maybe even more.

It's possible to follow but any passing can only happen into turn 1.

If it's another 1 or 2 stopper it may be crazy.
Saishū kōnā

ripper

giantfan10 wrote:
21 Apr 2018, 18:20
ripper wrote:
21 Apr 2018, 14:33
Sevach wrote:
21 Apr 2018, 12:40
I don't like Ferrari's tire choices, might actually hurt them.
That's the first thing I thought
You know i never got this overeaction about tire choices......
in the race They will use the compound they qualified(US) on and one set of SS maybe 2 .
care to explain how having one set of softs will hurt Ferrari? looks to me like its going to be a ultrasoft and SS race and they made a decision that the soft will not be in play for this race.
In my opinion because the teams still have to understand properly tyres behavior and lacking some compound might hurt them during race

Vettel165

F1Krof wrote:

Would love that, hope you are right.

F1Krof

Vettel165 wrote:
22 Apr 2018, 10:13
F1Krof wrote:

Would love that, hope you are right.
Ouuu I would run to a betting shop already if I were you :P
Wroom wroom

Zynerji

godlameroso wrote:
22 Apr 2018, 05:58
Zynerji wrote:
21 Apr 2018, 23:28
Why? Too many chicanes and 90 degree corners? Overtaking is possible, with the increased drag and aero requirements maybe even more.

It's possible to follow but any passing can only happen into turn 1.

If it's another 1 or 2 stopper it may be crazy.
I just don't like it... Ran it in the simulator, watched it on tv. Just my least favorite.

McHonda

I really like it. One of my faves to race on in the game and seems to deliver some action in real life too. Punishes mistakes arguably better than any other track on the calendar. Monaco's the other but the closeness of barriers means the drivers are always (relatively) cautious there but in Baku it's too quick to be cautious or you'll leave far too much time on the table, especially through the castle section, so it's really tough to be consistently quick around it.

Kingshark

This is one of the most unique tracks on the calendar, it’s like Monza and Monaco had a baby.

johnny vee

Kingshark wrote:
23 Apr 2018, 07:11
This is one of the most unique tracks on the calendar, it’s like Monza and Monaco had a baby.
agreed
:D

Hopefully there will be a safety car in this race like last year
"Because you didn't come here to make the choice, you've already made it. You're here to try to understand why you made it. I thought you'd have figured that out by now." The Oracle, Matrix Reloaded