2018 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku, April 27-29

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
dren

Re: 2018 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku, April 27-29

santos wrote:
27 Apr 2018, 13:12
This session had so weird results... Sainz last, Williams in top 10, Alonso in top 10 but Vandoorne almost last, both Ferraris out of top 10...
I think the Mclaren cars were practicing towing for qualifying.
Honda!

Phil

marvin78 wrote:
27 Apr 2018, 13:29
Why is that? He just said that he does not care.
I think every driver has two opinions: one voiced publicly and one voiced behind closed doors. I am not suggesting Vettel "minds" Dan (nor do I think Hamilton would mind Dan either), but at the end of the day, you want a harmonic team to work in and to make progress. I somewhat think Hamilton is happy with Bottas (he said so last year, especially comparing to what went on at Mercedes the previous years with Rosberg) and I guess that Vettel is very happy with Kimi. The question is, if Ferrari are with Kimi. If Ferrari aren't, then someone will take his seat, so perhaps if Vettel did have a choice or some influence, it would be one of choosing the lesser of two evils. Either way, I think Dan would be a great fit in either team. He is competitive, but also seems to be a genuinely nice guy.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

gargour87
gargour87

dren wrote:
27 Apr 2018, 14:15
santos wrote:
This session had so weird results... Sainz last, Williams in top 10, Alonso in top 10 but Vandoorne almost last, both Ferraris out of top 10...
I was following the live app, Vandoorne's times were set without the use of DRS (in zone 1 and 2). Don't know how much accurate the app is.

marvin78
marvin78

Phil wrote:
27 Apr 2018, 14:28
marvin78 wrote:
27 Apr 2018, 13:29
Why is that? He just said that he does not care.
I think every driver has two opinions: one voiced publicly and one voiced behind closed doors. I am not suggesting Vettel "minds" Dan (nor do I think Hamilton would mind Dan either), but at the end of the day, you want a harmonic team to work in and to make progress.

What I really wanted to say is that (and you told us the reason) knows, who fears what or whom. For all we know, Vettel does not care. Hamilton would say the same I guess. But there is really no obvious reason why one driver should fear Ricciardo more than another.

Bill_Kar
Bill_Kar

I just can't see Ric in Ferrari along Vettel. It won't work because of team orders. And I think of Ric as an ambitious driver.
I think he would be far better off in Merc, even with Hamilton, not that this is what Hamilton would necessary want.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

dren wrote:
27 Apr 2018, 14:15
santos wrote:
Towing in qualifying, to me seems a bit.... desperate, not sure I like the idea, wouldn't object if it was banned.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

JonoNic

Bill_Kar wrote:I just can't see Ric in Ferrari along Vettel. It won't work because of team orders. And I think of Ric as an ambitious driver.
I think he would be far better off in Merc, even with Hamilton, not that this is what Hamilton would necessary want.
Sounds like you think that only Ferrari manage their no. 2 driver...

Always find the gap then use it.

Bill_Kar
Bill_Kar

JonoNic wrote:
27 Apr 2018, 14:37
Bill_Kar wrote:I just can't see Ric in Ferrari along Vettel. It won't work because of team orders. And I think of Ric as an ambitious driver.
Well, I don't think Mercedes is an angel on Earth and Ferrari a harsh capitalist pig who mistreats its no. 2 driver,
but it is pretty blatant that Ferrari has way more strict rules regarding status quo between the two drivers.

JonoNic

So ideally Ric just needs a stronger PU in his RB as he will be the no. 2 driver at both Merc and Ferrari.

FMP
FMP

Bill_Kar wrote:
27 Apr 2018, 14:41
JonoNic wrote:
27 Apr 2018, 14:37
Well, I don't think Mercedes is an angel on Earth and Ferrari a harsh capitalist pig who mistreats its no. 2 driver,
but it is pretty blatant that Ferrari has way more strict rules regarding status quo between the two drivers.
I agree that for all the years I have followed F1, Ferrari is the team that most clearly has deployed a nr. 1/2 driver strategy. Not saying that everything which seems to be second hand tactics in retrospect must be so in the heat of the moment. Refering to the late pitstop tactic in Austrailia (Vettel) and China (Räikkönen). But still, no other team so clearly deploying that tactic.

DiogoBrand

I used to like Max, but it seems that the more he f***s up the more arrogant he gets.
Now he just looks like a glorified version of his father.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Vanja #66 wrote:
25 Apr 2018, 17:46
Restomaniac wrote:
25 Apr 2018, 17:25
Not really. They were new compounds.
Any simulations would have been on a total guess.
Mate, you have no idea how wrong you are. :)
You were saying?

It seems the SS is THE tyre here. Ferrari have brought 10 sets of US.
Last edited by Restomaniac on 27 Apr 2018, 15:07, edited 1 time in total.

JonoNic

Why was Hamilton running into the garage?

JonoNic

The halo graphic might force all halos to be black

Bill_Kar
Bill_Kar

JonoNic wrote:
27 Apr 2018, 14:46
So ideally Ric just needs a stronger PU in his RB as he will be the no. 2 driver at both Merc and Ferrari.
It depends on politics.If RB had a stronger PU, it would challenge for Championship.And I see Verstappen as the "protected" kid, just like Vettel in 2010. So Dani should be careful not to be Webber.

But in any sense, I think if he moves, he will join Mercedes. Sure, you got to be clearly in front to have full backing from the team, but at least he can fight there. As I said, he is an ambitious man (and not so young anymore), so he will have to fight LH in a championship capable-winning car. At least, on equal terms (I want to believe so).