If fans could rearrange the calendar for race weekends...

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
JonoNic

If fans could rearrange the calendar for race weekends...

If you could revise the F1 calendar (dates) what would it be?

Some races just need some rain or a drop in temperature to be exciting so give your proposed list and your reasons.
Last edited by JonoNic on 27 May 2018, 17:17, edited 1 time in total.
Always find the gap then use it.

graham.reeds
graham.reeds

Re: If fans could rearrange the calendar for race weekends...

I can't give dates but I would start the season off in the Americas.

The American market is very difficult to break into but if you did Mexico, Argentina, Canada, US x2, and Brazil, back-to-back into 3 pairs at the start you could get interest started in the states. 6 races.

Then Europe, Middle East and Africa. Monza, Spa, Monaco, Silverstone have to be there. I always liked Magny Cours. Barcelona obviously. A race in South Africa and one in the Middle East. 8 races.

Then out to the Asias & Australia. So obviously Australia. Singapore is a great spectacle. China, Japan. Asia is huge and India is the second most populous country so they could be given another go. I liked Malaysia. 6 races.

So there is a twenty race calendar. All races have back to back partners.

JonoNic

I agree with your American leg idea. Brazil in March will have plenty of wet races there.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Obviously start with dry desert races in march. europe obviously is the next candidate since otherwise, 'tradition' and 'feelings' will be 'hurt'. then i'd head out for east europe, asia, australia, and then the americas. season finale showdown in COTA or Miami.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Big Tea

graham.reeds wrote:
27 May 2018, 21:55
I can't give dates but I would start the season off in the Americas.

The American market is very difficult to break into but if you did Mexico, Argentina, Canada, US x2, and Brazil, back-to-back into 3 pairs at the start you could get interest started in the states. 6 races.

Then Europe, Middle East and Africa. Monza, Spa, Monaco, Silverstone have to be there. I always liked Magny Cours. Barcelona obviously. A race in South Africa and one in the Middle East. 8 races.

Then out to the Asias & Australia. So obviously Australia. Singapore is a great spectacle. China, Japan. Asia is huge and India is the second most populous country so they could be given another go. I liked Malaysia. 6 races.

So there is a twenty race calendar. All races have back to back partners.
By having all the Americas together early season it would be difficult to get the early upgrades in.
The parts would need to be shipped and testing done on a track other than Spain which has become the standard and allows comparisons from previous tests. I know it would be possible to test in say US, and ship upgrades there but the 6-on-the-tamp before the first test session is a little heavy.

I like the idea of 'bunching' the aways though
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

falonso81

Obviously Canada should be re-arranged to go with the other races in the Americas. Never understood why it is between European races. Australia should no longer be a season opener. It can be moved together with Singapore for example.
About the weather, I don't think we will get exciting races moving the dates around. Mr Mosley does not want wet races to happen anymore, because "safety".

bdr529

falonso81 wrote:
30 May 2018, 08:28
Obviously Canada should be re-arranged to go with the other races in the Americas. Never understood why it is between European races.
Back in 1982 when they moved the race from Las Vegas to Detroit, they also moved the date for Montreal,
in past years both Montreal and Watkins Glen were the last races of the year, they still kept the back to back weekends just moved them to early June, and it's been there ever since.

JonoNic

Besides rain... Is there anything else that can make for unpredictable races?

Big Tea

JonoNic wrote:
30 May 2018, 17:11
Besides rain... Is there anything else that can make for unpredictable races?
Early season races? Spec change mid season? aero or tyres
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

falonso81

Reverse grid?

JonoNic

falonso81 wrote:Reverse grid?
Most fans don't like reverse grids. Rather paint grid positions in such a way that pole position can be on the clean or dirty side. Then it becomes a lottery on how the starting grid lines-up on the day (maybe just before the pits open).

That way the fastest qualifier keeps his first position but strategy may be different when starting on the clean or dirty side.