2018 Canadian Grand Prix, Montreal June 8-10

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Edax
Edax

Re: 2018 Canadian Grand Prix, Montreal June 8-10

For me the interesting part is going to be the midfield. FI have traditionally done well here, they might surrprise.

Another interesting one is going to be McLaren vs Renault vs Toro Rosso. I think this is the best chance to see how the Honda stacks up against the renault engine and how Mclaren and Renault really compare.

PlatinumZealot

Edax wrote:
02 Jun 2018, 16:51
For me the interesting part is going to be the midfield. FI have traditionally done well here, they might surrprise.

Another interesting one is going to be McLaren vs Renault vs Toro Rosso. I think this is the best chance to see how the Honda stacks up against the renault engine and how Mclaren and Renault really compare.
Yes. I actually expect Force India to dominate the midfield battle. Hass would have been there if they knew how to setup brakes properly!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

LM10
LM10

Haas is gonna bring "significant" updates to Canada. New front wing, floor and parts in barge board area. In short, they will do what most of the other teams already did in Spain.
Let's see how that will pan out.

Mansell89
Mansell89

I think Red Bull will be competitive here in the race.

Chassis is on point, they will have good traction when they accelerate out of the heavy braking zones and have the downforce for stability.

The straights mean that qualifying on the front row is very challenging due to the Merc and Ferrari engine modes, but race pace will be good. If they manage their tyres, they can be players in this.

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

Is Canada a good track for introducing significant upgrades? Barcelona is usually the best place, as the teams have so much data they can more accurately measure the improvement and correlation with theoretical values.

johnny vee

Fulcrum wrote:
04 Jun 2018, 10:38
Is Canada a good track for introducing significant upgrades? Barcelona is usually the best place, as the teams have so much data they can more accurately measure the improvement and correlation with theoretical values.
I reckon that teams will have been working flat out with data from Barcelona to develop or improve updates for Canada.
Also, Canada has a lot of seconds at full throttle, highest for the races we've had so far, maybe China is close on full throttle, please correct me if I am wrong. I think the data the teams get this weekend will be worked on for updates for Monza.
"Because you didn't come here to make the choice, you've already made it. You're here to try to understand why you made it. I thought you'd have figured that out by now." The Oracle, Matrix Reloaded

godlameroso

Canada requires good traction, and a car with slight understeer. There aren't any corners that require good front end aero. In fact oversteer on corner exit is the worst.

What you need is to be the last of the late brakers, and the car needs to only be pointy enough to set up the entry on the chicanes. The aero needs are slightly lower than at Albert park. As the layout is similar with straights ending in chicanes, except there's no high speed corners like in Melbourne.
Saishū kōnā

SiLo

Last of the late brakers: Ric, Ham... Slightly understeery car : Mercedes...

Ham pole and win?
Felipe Baby!

LM10
LM10

SiLo wrote:
04 Jun 2018, 13:28

Ham pole and win?
Why is the Mercedes an understeery car?

dans79

LM10 wrote:
04 Jun 2018, 14:10
SiLo wrote:

Ham pole and win?
Have you not been watching the season to this point? It's very noticeable, specially when Lewis or Valtteri are on it hard that they are dealing with understeer and some occasional snap oversteer?
197 104 103 7

Artur Craft

These crappy compounds were already degrading a lot on Monaco, imagine on Canada....

If Ferrari can get pole/win here, Mercedes/Hamilton will need lots of luck(not unusual for him, btw) to win this championship

LM10
LM10

dans79 wrote:
04 Jun 2018, 16:32
LM10 wrote:
04 Jun 2018, 14:10
SiLo wrote:

Ham pole and win?
Have you not been watching the season to this point? It's very noticeable, specially when Lewis or Valtteri are on it hard that they are dealing with understeer and some occasional snap oversteer?
I noticed the occasional snap oversteer more than understeer, hence thought Mercedes was more of an oversteery car. But maybe or probably I'm mistaken. :)

NathanOlder

Artur Craft wrote:
04 Jun 2018, 17:39
These crappy compounds were already degrading a lot on Monaco, imagine on Canada....

If Ferrari can get pole/win here, Mercedes/Hamilton will need lots of luck(not unusual for him, btw) to win this championship
Im sure I read Hamilton has had the most mechanical failures while in a podium position of all the current drivers. This tells me he is more unlucky than the others.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

dans79

LM10 wrote:
04 Jun 2018, 17:57
I noticed the occasional snap oversteer more than understeer, hence thought Mercedes was more of an oversteery car. But maybe or probably I'm mistaken. :)
check out this side by side from Bahrain. pay close attention to turns 1,4,13,& 4. Leiws is particularly bad through turns 1 & 4, really missing the apexes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUE2QAIjiZA

In my personal opinion, this is because Mercedes still hasn't completely solved the 2018 Pirelli heating/managment puzzle, and to be fair no team has as far as i'm concerned.

Canada usually isn't a track where teams have tire heating or cooling issues. The big issue in Canada is usually about not cooking the brakes.
197 104 103 7

henry

NathanOlder wrote:
04 Jun 2018, 18:40
Artur Craft wrote:
04 Jun 2018, 17:39

Im sure I read Hamilton has had the most mechanical failures while in a podium position of all the current drivers. This tells me he is more unlucky than the others.
Maybe he has been fortunate (I won’t say lucky) to be in more podium worthy cars than others, and so more likely to be in those positions when they fail.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus