2018 Austrian Grand Prix, Spielberg, 29 June - 1 July

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Wouter
202
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:02 pm

Re: 2018 Austrian Grand Prix, Spielberg, 29 June - 1 July

Post by Wouter » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:58 am

zibby43 wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:00 am
Zynerji wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:07 am
Red Bull running the new MGUK?
I think I read somewhere that they won’t because of the component usage situation.

RIC on 2 and VER on 3 already.
RBR is getting finally a qualifying mode. Renault didn't want it to giving it to them. They alredy did used it in France themselves.

Renault finally brought the much-anticipated qualifying mode - but not for everyone. While the factory team could call up extra horsepower in qualifying, Red Bull did not have that function.

"We did not have this support in France, either for logistical or technical reasons - however, and then in a "very nice conversation" with Renault we clarified that it will be from Austria that we get the same updates as that Factory team, "says Marko. "We are promised that it will happen here, and that suits it."
https://www.motorsport-magazin.com/form ... ing-modus/

djos
123
User avatar
Joined: Fri May 19, 2006 5:09 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: 2018 Austrian Grand Prix, Spielberg, 29 June - 1 July

Post by djos » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:04 am

I thought legally the OEM'S had to provide all engine modes to customers?
The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks.

Thunder
Moderator
User avatar
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:50 am
Location: Germany

Re: 2018 Austrian Grand Prix, Spielberg, 29 June - 1 July

Post by Thunder » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:16 am

Well Red Bull runs a different Fuel. So i would guess the Maps are different and take time to optimise.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Big Tea
67
User avatar
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:57 pm

Re: 2018 Austrian Grand Prix, Spielberg, 29 June - 1 July

Post by Big Tea » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:41 am

May not be the right forum, but as it is already mentioned here, can anyone please tell me, is there a difference between the 'shaved' tyre and the same tyre that has just been used for a few laps in practice?

What I mean is as the shaved tyre obviously suites Mercedes, can the not have both cars out in practice putting low stress laps on tyres until they are worn down to the same thickness to use in the race?
One test is worth a thousand expert opinions

zibby43
262
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:16 am

Re: 2018 Austrian Grand Prix, Spielberg, 29 June - 1 July

Post by zibby43 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:45 am

Looks like Mercedes just brought their biggest upgrades since Spain ‘17.

GrandAxe
19
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:06 pm

Re: 2018 Austrian Grand Prix, Spielberg, 29 June - 1 July

Post by GrandAxe » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:25 am

Podium :twisted::

1. Grosjean
2. Sirotkin
3. Alonso

GrandAxe
19
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:06 pm

Re: 2018 Austrian Grand Prix, Spielberg, 29 June - 1 July

Post by GrandAxe » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:37 am

Big Tea wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:41 am
May not be the right forum, but as it is already mentioned here, can anyone please tell me, is there a difference between the 'shaved' tyre and the same tyre that has just been used for a few laps in practice?

What I mean is as the shaved tyre obviously suites Mercedes, can the not have both cars out in practice putting low stress laps on tyres until they are worn down to the same thickness to use in the race?
How did you come to this conclusion?

garygph
7
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:25 pm

Re: 2018 Austrian Grand Prix, Spielberg, 29 June - 1 July

Post by garygph » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:42 am

Big Tea wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:41 am
May not be the right forum, but as it is already mentioned here, can anyone please tell me, is there a difference between the 'shaved' tyre and the same tyre that has just been used for a few laps in practice?

What I mean is as the shaved tyre obviously suites Mercedes, can the not have both cars out in practice putting low stress laps on tyres until they are worn down to the same thickness to use in the race?
Not a tyre expert but I suspect it would have to do with heat cycles that a shaved tyre does not have to go through

LM10
58
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:07 pm

Re: 2018 Austrian Grand Prix, Spielberg, 29 June - 1 July

Post by LM10 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:54 am

GrandAxe wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:37 am
Big Tea wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:41 am
May not be the right forum, but as it is already mentioned here, can anyone please tell me, is there a difference between the 'shaved' tyre and the same tyre that has just been used for a few laps in practice?

What I mean is as the shaved tyre obviously suites Mercedes, can the not have both cars out in practice putting low stress laps on tyres until they are worn down to the same thickness to use in the race?
How did you come to this conclusion?
By watching the weekends? :)

GrandAxe
19
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:06 pm

Re: 2018 Austrian Grand Prix, Spielberg, 29 June - 1 July

Post by GrandAxe » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:06 pm

LM10 wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:54 am
GrandAxe wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:37 am
Big Tea wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:41 am
May not be the right forum, but as it is already mentioned here, can anyone please tell me, is there a difference between the 'shaved' tyre and the same tyre that has just been used for a few laps in practice?

What I mean is as the shaved tyre obviously suites Mercedes, can the not have both cars out in practice putting low stress laps on tyres until they are worn down to the same thickness to use in the race?
How did you come to this conclusion?
By watching the weekends? :)
That is as logical as listening to rumours.
Hard fact is required here.

PlatinumZealot
361
User avatar
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:45 am

Re: 2018 Austrian Grand Prix, Spielberg, 29 June - 1 July

Post by PlatinumZealot » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:21 pm

djos wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:04 am
I thought legally the OEM'S had to provide all engine modes to customers?
Not really for the modes (which is a mteer of tuning) In this case it seems the reason is the different fuel redbull uses and possibly the old MGUK have been why they had to wait a little longer.
"The true champions are also great men. They are capable of making difficult decisions, of admitting their mistakes and of pushing harder than before when they get up from a fall."

- Ferrari chairman Sergio Marchionne

LM10
58
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:07 pm

Re: 2018 Austrian Grand Prix, Spielberg, 29 June - 1 July

Post by LM10 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:47 pm

GrandAxe wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:06 pm
LM10 wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:54 am
GrandAxe wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:37 am

How did you come to this conclusion?
By watching the weekends? :)
That is as logical as listening to rumours.
Hard fact is required here.
I can't provide you with facts. None of us can.
There are two options: Either you think that Mercedes' massive performance jumps in Barcelona and Paul Ricard were up to their upgrades or you think that it mainly were the tyres. Lewis' pole time in France was 4 tenths faster than Vettel's and Lewis could have been even faster for about 3 tenths. Do you think that Mercedes would be 7 tenths faster than Ferrari on pure performance?

Phil
406
User avatar
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:22 pm

Re: 2018 Austrian Grand Prix, Spielberg, 29 June - 1 July

Post by Phil » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:57 pm

Or Ferrari cant use their fancy battery anymore. ;) or it’s a combination of all of them together.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

GrandAxe
19
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:06 pm

Re: 2018 Austrian Grand Prix, Spielberg, 29 June - 1 July

Post by GrandAxe » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:03 pm

LM10 wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:47 pm
GrandAxe wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:06 pm
LM10 wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:54 am


By watching the weekends? :)
That is as logical as listening to rumours.
Hard fact is required here.
I can't provide you with facts. None of us can.
There are two options: Either you think that Mercedes' massive performance jumps in Barcelona and Paul Ricard were up to their upgrades or you think that it mainly were the tyres. Lewis' pole time in France was 4 tenths faster than Vettel's and Lewis could have been even faster for about 3 tenths. Do you think that Mercedes would be 7 tenths faster than Ferrari on pure performance?
This has got to be a joke. So, its all about Vettel and Ferrari, whereas there are 10 teams and 20 cars on the grid?
Come on, this is trolling.

Big Tea
67
User avatar
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:57 pm

Re: 2018 Austrian Grand Prix, Spielberg, 29 June - 1 July

Post by Big Tea » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:05 pm

GrandAxe wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:06 pm
LM10 wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:54 am
GrandAxe wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:37 am

How did you come to this conclusion?
By watching the weekends? :)
That is as logical as listening to rumours.
Hard fact is required here.

The only thing we can go by without official notification is what we see. As you say, it may not be what actually is.
Besides, that was not the question, although it was used as an example. Use any car you want.

(edited as the original pose came over as 'snide'. unintentional.)
Last edited by Big Tea on Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One test is worth a thousand expert opinions