2018 British Grand Prix, Silverstone, July 6-8

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
dans79

Re: 2018 British Grand Prix, Silverstone, July 6-8

Zynerji wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 03:45
The gap is just going to drive more listed parts deals...

I'm almost thinking the Williams situation is being done "on purpose", from the inside, to push them into a deal to buy Merc parts...
You are going to have to explain this, or else it just makes you sound like you have a tinfoil hat on! Specifically how is someone outside of Williams making them develop an aerodynamically bad and unstable car?
197 104 103 7

Zynerji

dans79 wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 04:06
Zynerji wrote:

I'm almost thinking the Williams situation is being done "on purpose", from the inside, to push them into a deal to buy Merc parts...
You are going to have to explain this, or else it just makes you sound like you have a tinfoil hat on! Specifically how is someone outside of Williams making them develop an aerodynamically bad and unstable car?
I believe that it is known that Patrick Head and Claire Williams refuse to buy listed parts from anyone, but I can see an inside attempt to drive down performance to the point that they are made to change their mind because of sponsors/fan pressure/media pressure/LAWRENCE STROLL pressure.

I have fixed a few companies where the GM had purposefully driven down profitability through many small synergy breaks with the purpose of buying out the owner at a discount. When I see the troubles of Williams, I kind of get that feeling as well.

saviour stivala

FERRARI not only won the race at Silverstone, but won it using made for Mercedes tyres.

roon

Zynerji wrote:

As in following the Haas model?

Zynerji

roon wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 05:42
Zynerji wrote:

As in following the Haas model?
Yeah. No one can say it isn't working, and only a fool can justify the expense of not doing it at this point.

Vasconia

saviour stivala wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 05:13
FERRARI not only won the race at Silverstone, but won it using made for Mercedes tyres.
They had more degradation than Mercedes which would have made Vettel to loose the race if Hamilton was in front(I mean between 2-4 positions). But yes, the improvement from Barcelona and even Paul Ricard is brilliant. Ferrari is no longer the slow team that was during Alonso´s years.

Vasconia

PlatinumZealot wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 02:53
Nice race! I forgive kimi lewis should have done a better start.
Indeed, those sort of situations don´t happen if you make a good start. What we saw was a typical race incident, as it happened laster between Grosjean and Sainz. I thought the French was going to receive a penalty but it wasn´t the case. I want to think that it was because both drivers were out of the race.

It was indeed an awesome race, Lewis had the pace to win the race because Ferrari couldn´t manage the tyres as well as Mercedes did. Anyway, those fights between Kimi and Max, and Sebastian with Valtteri were truly expectacular. F1 as its best!!!

I hope the trend continues in Germany!! [-o< [-o< [-o<

Vasconia

Schuttelberg wrote:
08 Jul 2018, 22:34
I couldn't understand why Renault opted to put Hulk on Hard's.
It looked like a bad strategy but in the end Hulk was 6th so I guess it was a good one. :mrgreen:

rscsr

bonjon1979 wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 01:30
Race not rave. That was a different field somewhere in Northamptonshire
fyi, there is an editing function. Especially useful for small mistakes.

rscsr

giantfan10 wrote:
08 Jul 2018, 23:51
very very interesting comment from Kimi:
KR: "Every time we got close to them(red bull) or behind them it seems to be very difficult to follow them, seems to be just different than any other car"
"I think the Mercedes was somehow more easy to follow. Must less effect on my car. We got a pretty decent run out of Three every lap, got the momentum and managed to pass."
I have a feeling that this might be related to the amount of downforce they are running.

Vasconia

syntaxerror147 wrote:
08 Jul 2018, 18:12
Absolutely flawless race by Vettel today. Deserved the win!
Concerning Hamilton: What a great driver, what a great race, what a poor personality. Complaining about his car although it was ok, refusing to give an interview at first. True greatness is in defeat.
Bottas clearly the one who was sacrificed today.
Biggest loser of the day: Toto Wolff, last week he stated that merc would act the same way as Ferrari did in terms of sportsmanship. Today, well i don't have to explain anything. :roll:
It was very fustrating to see Lewis complaining all the time while he was able to push, he indeed sounds very negative at times and even the engineer sounded a Little bit "annoyed", but he tried to motivate Lewis all the time.

Another negative point was when he left the track without speaking to Brundle. I can undersand he was angry but you must be there. Sometimes his ractions are way too dramatic.

Zynerji

rscsr wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 08:19
giantfan10 wrote:
08 Jul 2018, 23:51
very very interesting comment from Kimi:
KR: "Every time we got close to them(red bull) or behind them it seems to be very difficult to follow them, seems to be just different than any other car"
"I think the Mercedes was somehow more easy to follow. Must less effect on my car. We got a pretty decent run out of Three every lap, got the momentum and managed to pass."
I have a feeling that this might be related to the amount of downforce they are running.
Or, their unique-to-the-grid diffuser design...

Yurasyk

Vettel was just mad going through turns 1, 2 with opened DRS, when he was chasing Bottas. Was it risky or confident, who knows. :roll:

Zynerji

Yurasyk wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 08:29
Vettel was just mad going through turns 1, 2 with opened DRS, when he was chasing Bottas. Was it risky or confident, who knows. :roll:
That's exactly why unlimited DRS would really separate the men from the boys.

He did similar during qualifying in 2011, when DRS wasn't restricted to zones.

Just_a_fan

Vasconia wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 08:22

Another negative point was when he left the track without speaking to Brundle. I can undersand he was angry but you must be there. Sometimes his ractions are way too dramatic.
Agreed. Got to take the rough with the smooth. It does, however, put to rest the idea that some have that he isn't motivated / doesn't care enough anymore. Seeing him shaking after taking pole, so annoyed at the end of the race - I doubt there's a driver on the grid who cares more!

The post race comments about Ferrari's alleged tactics don't sit well but from Hamilton I think it's just him putting a driver's spin on things - the emotion comes out and crystallises around a single emotional moment. From the team, I think they're trying to be clever - putting it out there that Ferrari might be using such tactics puts the red cars under scrutiny. They can't afford to do it again for fear of people thinking they really are doing it on purpose. That makes them slightly more cautious and thus easier to deal with on track.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.