2018 British Grand Prix, Silverstone, July 6-8

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Just_a_fan

Re: 2018 British Grand Prix, Silverstone, July 6-8

Zynerji wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 08:35
Yurasyk wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 08:29
Vettel was just mad going through turns 1, 2 with opened DRS, when he was chasing Bottas. Was it risky or confident, who knows. :roll:
That's exactly why unlimited DRS would really separate the men from the boys.

He did similar during qualifying in 2011, when DRS wasn't restricted to zones.
IT would just separate the teams that have a car that can physically do it and those that don't. If the car is physically able to drive that corner with DRS open then all of the drivers would do it to gain an advantage.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Yurasyk

Just_a_fan wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 08:43
Zynerji wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 08:35
Yurasyk wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 08:29
Vettel was just mad going through turns 1, 2 with opened DRS, when he was chasing Bottas. Was it risky or confident, who knows. :roll:
That's exactly why unlimited DRS would really separate the men from the boys.

He did similar during qualifying in 2011, when DRS wasn't restricted to zones.
IT would just separate the teams that have a car that can physically do it and those that don't. If the car is physically able to drive that corner with DRS open then all of the drivers would do it to gain an advantage.
Kimi didn't open it, Lewis too. :wink:
Image Image Image

Vasconia

Just_a_fan wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 08:41
Vasconia wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 08:22

Another negative point was when he left the track without speaking to Brundle. I can undersand he was angry but you must be there. Sometimes his ractions are way too dramatic.
Agreed. Got to take the rough with the smooth. It does, however, put to rest the idea that some have that he isn't motivated / doesn't care enough anymore. Seeing him shaking after taking pole, so annoyed at the end of the race - I doubt there's a driver on the grid who cares more!

The post race comments about Ferrari's alleged tactics don't sit well but from Hamilton I think it's just him putting a driver's spin on things - the emotion comes out and crystallises around a single emotional moment. From the team, I think they're trying to be clever - putting it out there that Ferrari might be using such tactics puts the red cars under scrutiny. They can't afford to do it again for fear of people thinking they really are doing it on purpose. That makes them slightly more cautious and thus easier to deal with on track.
I have no reason to doubt about Lewis motivation. I know he is fully commited to win but he has to think a Little bit before he does something. I have never shared the idea that he has lots motivation, Lewis has been (almost) always a Little bit irregular, with awesome days and some average ones.

sosic2121

alexx_88 wrote:
08 Jul 2018, 18:07
I think Mercedes are doing Hamilton a huge disservice by blowing air into this balloon about Kimi crashing on purpose into him. Start of the race, cold tires, tried a move, missed the apex by probably 1m after locking up. These things happen all the time and, when it's not their favorite driver, people don't care at all.

I want Hamilton to win the championship, but I want F1 to be about racing, not about everyone being afraid to make a move because they might get hit with huge penalties for any mistake. Conditions off-line are always unpredictable and locking up happens a lot.

Even so, Hamilton was 3rd before being hit. Realistically, what was his chance of overtaking Vettel on the track?
=D> =D>

JonoNic

Just_a_fan wrote: From the team, I think they're trying to be clever - putting it out there that Ferrari might be using such tactics puts the red cars under scrutiny. They can't afford to do it again for fear of people thinking they really are doing it on purpose. That makes them slightly more cautious and thus easier to deal with on track.
Agreed.
Always find the gap then use it.

JonoNic

Are teams (Like Mercedes) allowed to remove a layer themselves off the normal tyres of the next race or is it legal to do that?

I remember old group N cars in the 90s using a carving tool while their tyres spun on a wheel balancing machine to remove some tread. Probably way too primitive for F1 I guess with wheel balancing being an issue.

i70q7m7ghw

JonoNic wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 09:40
Are teams (Like Mercedes) allowed to remove a layer themselves off the normal tyres of the next race or is it legal to do that?

I remember old group N cars in the 90s using a carving tool while their tyres spun on a wheel balancing machine to remove some tread. Probably way too primitive for F1 I guess with wheel balancing being an issue.
Why would there be any benefit to that? The next track hasn't been resurfaced so won't be as abrasive and overheat the tyres.

JonoNic

Diesel wrote:
JonoNic wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 09:40

Why would there be any benefit to that? The next track hasn't been resurfaced so won't be as abrasive and overheat the tyres.
Well what happened to Mercedes and Red Bulls tyres in France? Was that track resurfaced with the same material too?

Schuttelberg

Vasconia wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 08:15
Schuttelberg wrote:
08 Jul 2018, 22:34
I couldn't understand why Renault opted to put Hulk on Hard's.
It looked like a bad strategy but in the end Hulk was 6th so I guess it was a good one. :mrgreen:
I think they could have gone for another M had they boxed under the SC.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

SiLo

Shame about Kimi hitting Hamilton. But gave us a really exciting race. I feel Hamilton was easily the fastest guy on the track and likely would have worked his way back into 1st at some point without that contact.

Also do not agree with Vettel saying he would have been fine in the second stint without the safety car. Bottas was slowly reeling him in and we know his tyres would have lasted better as well.
Felipe Baby!

dfegan358

Vettel allowed him to close to within 2 seconds. Vettel definitely was nursing the tyres, don’t think it’s a foregone conclusion Bottas or Hamilton would have won the race.

No way was Raikkononen hit intentional on Hamilton.
Mercedes not enjoying Ferrari putting so much pressure on and beating them on their own patch.

Mercedes know they are in a real battle now.

marvin78

They normally like telling everybody that there is competition. They don't like real competition.

Vasconia

SiLo wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 10:24
Shame about Kimi hitting Hamilton. But gave us a really exciting race. I feel Hamilton was easily the fastest guy on the track and likely would have worked his way back into 1st at some point without that contact.

Also do not agree with Vettel saying he would have been fine in the second stint without the safety car. Bottas was slowly reeling him in and we know his tyres would have lasted better as well.
Difficult to judge it. It was clear that Mercedes was managing the tyres much better but Vettel was also on delta mode because as he already said he pushed too hard the soft tyres in the first stint. So he didn´t want to make the same mistake.

djones

Given in the first stint Vettel had to pit due to front left blistering, I strongly believe was it not for the safety car, Hamilton would have won.

He was over a second a lap faster and on fresher tyres... in a car that for once was being kind to the tyres.

Schuttelberg

Lewis has apologised on social media for his outburst. I still lost some respect for the guy yesterday. Granted he was emotional, but there's a limit. He basically questioned the integrity of a bloke who's been in the sport 17 years and it was all just really unpleasant, uncalled for and even disgusting.

The bigger guilty party are the Mercedes honchos. Surely they have to apologise. In effect, they're accusing Ferrari of being the orchestrators of Crashgate 2!
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"