2018 British Grand Prix, Silverstone, July 6-8

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
z.topoln

Re: 2018 British Grand Prix, Silverstone, July 6-8

Schuttelberg wrote:Lewis has apologised on social media for his outburst. I still lost some respect for the guy yesterday. Granted he was emotional, but there's a limit. He basically questioned the integrity of a bloke who's been in the sport 17 years and it was all just really unpleasant, uncalled for and even disgusting.

The bigger guilty party are the Mercedes honchos. Surely they have to apologise. In effect, they're accusing Ferrari of being the orchestrators of Crashgate 2!
Thats pr machine apologizing, nothing sincere in that.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

santos

Lewis can be emotional… it wasn't pretty, but i understand. The acusations that were made in the press conference, from him, Toto and Allison (the guy that didn't made a decent car at Ferrari, maybe on purpose or incompetence) that is unacceptable… they should respond to that in court.

bit1817

Can't hear this childish "they took away my Lollipop" on purpose s**t. If it really is that way, it would have been much easier for Kimi to take out both Mercedes in Austria when he was driven off the track by them. Racing incident 15 years ago nobody discussed about. Hamilton was in the outer Line, Kimi in the inner. both braking as late as possible, HAM came in, yes he left one car width space, but Kimi unfortunately locked a bit, causing him to slid a few centimeters off his line. If it was in purpose He would have hit HAMs sidepod...

marvin78

This (for me) normal racing incidences that get punished by penalties are the real BS in those situations. That's not good for the sport.

Big Tea

If there is one driver on the whole grid that would not take someone out deliberately, its Kimi.
Moreso now that it seems he is not with them next year
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

i70q7m7ghw

JonoNic wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 09:58
Diesel wrote:
Why would there be any benefit to that? The next track hasn't been resurfaced so won't be as abrasive and overheat the tyres.
Well what happened to Mercedes and Red Bulls tyres in France? Was that track resurfaced with the same material too?
It was, and the reason Pirelli used a thinner tread was to reduce the blistering they saw on more abrasive surfaces due to overheating. I think the hot track temps at these European circuits hasn't helped, but it could have been a lot worse if Pirelli had used the original tyres.

Sevach

djones wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 11:01
Given in the first stint Vettel had to pit due to front left blistering, I strongly believe was it not for the safety car, Hamilton would have won.

He was over a second a lap faster and on fresher tyres... in a car that for once was being kind to the tyres.
You know that without the SC Vettel had time to pit and still come out infront of Hamilton.

Tom145145

The idea that Kimi hit Hamilton on purpose is completely out of the question in my opinion. But the idea that Ferrari and the drivers are playing a more aggressive tactic towards Mercedes is not. Just like in football when a team plays a little rough to disrupt a more technical side. I may be could be completely wrong, just trying to understand what was said. I hope the battle stays close into and after the summer break.

marvin78

Nothing about the the style of the Ferrari drivers is overly aggressive. It's normal racing. Only the narrative about something like this has changed. That's it.

i70q7m7ghw

So I totally agree that any theory that Kimi crashed into Lewis on purpose is completely mad. However, I could believe the possibility of a policy in Ferrari that when fighting the Mercs on track there's an "at all costs" policy, i.e. when they might normally yield to avoid contact, with Merc they just take the risk as the end result would be a loss of points for the championship rival. If both Mercs & Ferrari's crashed out of the race currently this would benefit Ferrari. I'd argue this is probably just normal practice in F1, and if anything I felt Bottas was too easy on Vettel when he finally passed him.

Mandrake

Sevach wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 12:30
djones wrote:
Given in the first stint Vettel had to pit due to front left blistering, I strongly believe was it not for the safety car, Hamilton would have won.

He was over a second a lap faster and on fresher tyres... in a car that for once was being kind to the tyres.
You know that without the SC Vettel had time to pit and still come out infront of Hamilton.
And Hamilton would have needed to clear a couple of cars before getting to P1. All in all I think the SC helped him to get at least 1-2 positions he would not have gotten without the SCs. Bottas would have finished on his tires, Vettel either as well or with another PitStop still keeping him in Front of Hamilton. It's uncertain where Kimi would have ended, so 2nd is defo the best outcome for Hamilton after losin out at the start.

Juzh

Sevach wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 12:30
djones wrote:

I've looked at some onboards and Vettel was really saving his tires big time and taking it easy in the 2nd stint. Massive lifts trough most high speed corners. Hamilton had no chance of catching them. Not to mention he'd have to go trough RAI and RBs first.

Juzh

Yurasyk wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 08:49
Just_a_fan wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 08:43
Zynerji wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 08:35

That's exactly why unlimited DRS would really separate the men from the boys.

He did similar during qualifying in 2011, when DRS wasn't restricted to zones.
IT would just separate the teams that have a car that can physically do it and those that don't. If the car is physically able to drive that corner with DRS open then all of the drivers would do it to gain an advantage.
Kimi didn't open it, Lewis too. :wink:
http://www.imagebam.com/image/fc178d914462214 http://www.imagebam.com/image/27026c914462244 http://www.imagebam.com/image/8a18b3914462264
Nah, Vettel was also closing his DRS for the flick right, then reopening it for T2. RAI and HAM probably didn't deem it necessary because they werent close enough to make a difference.

mkay

Schuttelberg wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 11:39
Lewis has apologised on social media for his outburst. I still lost some respect for the guy yesterday. Granted he was emotional, but there's a limit. He basically questioned the integrity of a bloke who's been in the sport 17 years and it was all just really unpleasant, uncalled for and even disgusting.

The bigger guilty party are the Mercedes honchos. Surely they have to apologise. In effect, they're accusing Ferrari of being the orchestrators of Crashgate 2!
Have you lost respect for Vettel when he did arguably worse at Baku last year? 8)

ripper

I can understand Hamilton 's words, he just drove on the edge for one gp and had adrenaline rushing. The team members should be more careful however.