2018 British Grand Prix, Silverstone, July 6-8

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
ripper

Re: 2018 British Grand Prix, Silverstone, July 6-8

Tom145145 wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 12:31
The idea that Kimi hit Hamilton on purpose is completely out of the question in my opinion. But the idea that Ferrari and the drivers are playing a more aggressive tactic towards Mercedes is not. Just like in football when a team plays a little rough to disrupt a more technical side. I may be could be completely wrong, just trying to understand what was said. I hope the battle stays close into and after the summer break.
In my opinion drivers of similar car tier have to be more aggressive when overtaking because the delta between cars isn't enough to pass with easy manoeuvres. FER/RB/MER overtaking the rest is easy, overtaking between them requires harder manoeuvres that might end with a crash. The rest of the teams can't overtake FER/RB/MER and usually have to brawl a bit between them in order to overtake and this can end with another incident.

Schuttelberg

mkay wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 13:00
Schuttelberg wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 11:39
Lewis has apologised on social media for his outburst. I still lost some respect for the guy yesterday. Granted he was emotional, but there's a limit. He basically questioned the integrity of a bloke who's been in the sport 17 years and it was all just really unpleasant, uncalled for and even disgusting.

The bigger guilty party are the Mercedes honchos. Surely they have to apologise. In effect, they're accusing Ferrari of being the orchestrators of Crashgate 2!
Have you lost respect for Vettel when he did arguably worse at Baku last year? 8)
Absolutely yes. I mean not all of it, but he lost some of it as well some support.

I think my agitation at this point is more with Mercedes top honchos. FFS, they weren't even driving the car and they still passed off this notion like it was true.

Toto Wolff is simply not leadership material.
Last edited by Schuttelberg on 09 Jul 2018, 13:49, edited 1 time in total.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

marvin78

And the loss of respect for one driver has nothing to do with the loss of respect for another. I ask myself, why everything just gets mixed up by the so called fans.

TAG

I remember in Baku last year, so many here were vehemently defending Vettel insisting didn't hit the side of a Mercedes on purpose. When precedence is set... ;)
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

marvin78

That was childish behavior of that people. And now we have the childish behavior of that people who compare these incidences.

giantfan10

djones wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 11:01
Given in the first stint Vettel had to pit due to front left blistering, I strongly believe was it not for the safety car, Hamilton would have won.

He was over a second a lap faster and on fresher tyres... in a car that for once was being kind to the tyres.
This is wrong on several levels....let me give you the reality of the situation...Hamilton was NEVER going to win the british GP NEVER...lets say they was no first lap incident...Hamilton is in third behind bottas...Vettel still pulls out a 6+ second lead on the softs which in turn causes front left blisters..... Vettel pits for mediums and cruises to a victory managing his tires just like he did in reality to guard against blisters...
in what fantasy situation was hamilton reeling vettel in and passing him?
This biased nonsense opinion from the british press is pretty laughable.Be objective please.

Vanja #66

After seeing this video, it was Kimi's mistake that caused the incident. It looked to me from Kimi onboard that Lewis didn't leave quite enough room after turn in, but here we can see there was enough room. Not much, but enough, otherwise it wouldn't be racing. :)

I have to say, I'm 100% certain Alonso would have left more room than Hamilton, bring more speed into next corner and avoid the incident easily. It's one of those things he is very good at in those first laps.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

aral

giantfan10 wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 14:45

This is wrong on several levels....let me give you the reality of the situation...Hamilton was NEVER going to win the british GP NEVER...lets say they was no first lap incident...Hamilton is in third behind bottas...Vettel still pulls out a 6+ second lead on the softs which in turn causes front left blisters..... Vettel pits for mediums and cruises to a victory managing his tires just like he did in reality to guard against blisters...
This biased nonsense opinion from the british press is pretty laughable.Be objective please.
i am inclined to believe you. Hamilton was actually 26 secs behind vettel and it was the safety car that allowed that gap to be reduced to a couple of seconds. but british media are over hyping the incident. such as "vettel wins as ferrari take out hamilton" etc. it was a racing incident and if hamilton had not been so slow at the start, he would not even have been in a position where kimi could have hit him, let alone supposedly deliberately ram him

sosic2121

Vanja #66 wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 15:02
https://www.instagram.com/p/BlAoFFDn25a ... f1official

After seeing this video, it was Kimi's mistake that caused the incident. It looked to me from Kimi onboard that Lewis didn't leave quite enough room after turn in, but here we can see there was enough room. Not much, but enough, otherwise it wouldn't be racing. :)

I have to say, I'm 100% certain Alonso would have left more room than Hamilton, bring more speed into next corner and avoid the incident easily. It's one of those things he is very good at in those first laps.
I have to agree with you. Best video of the accident so far. 100% Kimi's fault. Could Lewis avoid Kimi? Probably
Is 10s appropriate penalty? Maybe, but I've seen much worse with no penalty and less with bigger penalty.

Alonso? His first lap performance is incredible! IMO still the best F1 driver since Schumacher, maybe ever!

dfegan358

A lot of talk that Hamilton would have won easily if he didn’t get spun.

Vettel was nursing the mediums and controlling pace. I don’t deny Hamilton had more pace but would it have been enough to overtake Vettel.

It wasn’t very easy for Vettel on new softs against older mediums.
Hamilton never mentioned his start was the reason he was behind in the first place and at risk of a crash.

turbof1

I see a lot of excagerated talk from both sides "he would have won easily!" "he would never have won" "he would become president of the United States!" "He deals drugs!".

Truth is always in the middle. Let's look at it objectively: he missed his start. Assuming Kimi did not got through in an incident free move, he would have been third. Let's also assume all the other events would have unfolded as they were. So pitstop strategy stints, and SC's. It would have meant Hamilton would have been in front of Vettel after the SC's and would have fresher tyres than Bottas. I think given Bottas was through his tyres, he would have let Hamilton pass. Vettel still had a decent chance to overtake Hamilton and Bottas ultimately.

Or the race did go without SC's and we'd have a race until the very end. Mercedes' pace on the Medium tyres was better than Vettel's pace on those tyres, so that could have been a possibility perhaps.

We'll probably never know, and in all honesty it's pointless to ask ourselves "what if" questions. Pace between Mercedes and Ferrari has been that similar all weekend that Hamilton had roughly equal chance to Vettel to win.
#AeroFrodo

JPBD1990

I think Arrivabene said it best...

From espn.co.uk

Ferrari boss Maurizio Arrivabene says the team's former technical director James Allison needs lessons in how to be a gentlemen after suggesting Kimi Raikkonen intentionally knocked Lewis Hamilton off the road at the start of the British Grand Prix.

Sebastian Vettel's win at Silverstone, ending a run of four straight Lewis Hamilton wins (and five in a row for Mercedes), controversy arose from comments made post-race. Hamilton called his Turn 3 clash with Raikkonen an "interesting tactic" from Ferrari before Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff also raised questions about the incident.

Wolff said: "In James Allison's words, 'do you think it is deliberate or incompetence?'. So this leaves us with a judgement."

Allison left Ferrari mid-way through 2016 and joined Mercedes ahead of last season. Arrivabene has criticised his former colleague for what Wolff suggested was said.

Speaking to Sky Italia after the race, Arrivabene said: "I came here to clarify, if he [Allison] actually said something like that, I mean, he should be ashamed of himself, because he worked many years in Maranello, he took quite a bit of money from Maranello aswell, today he's doing his job, you have to be elegant and know how to lose.

"Also, we're here in England, sometimes they want to teach us how to be gentlemen, he should start first. Really, this annoyed me so much.

"Also incompetent, who? Kimi? Who's he to judge what a driver is doing in the car, I can accept it from Jacques [Villeneuve, Sky Italia pundit] because he's been a driver, but that person? No."

Arrivabene said Mercedes should spend more time focusing on why Hamilton was defending third position in the first place, having had a sluggish getaway from pole position which put him on the defensive for the first few corners.

"First of all [Allison] should look the telemetry and understand that his driver unfortunately for himself had a bad start, so having a bad start he immediately lost 2 positions. Kimi had a good start, we have the telemetry data, so he found himself immediately on top of Hamilton.

"I want to remind everyone that in China we had a situation between Vettel and Verstappen and nobody said anything, all fine. But I mean, I want to give them a message: it's been a beautiful battle, a battle that I think the audience appreciated, there will be other battles where most likely Mercedes will win, this is a lesson for us to stay classy, a thing that they haven't done today."

Big Tea

giantfan10 wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 14:45
djones wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 11:01
Given in the first stint Vettel had to pit due to front left blistering, I strongly believe was it not for the safety car, Hamilton would have won.

He was over a second a lap faster and on fresher tyres... in a car that for once was being kind to the tyres.
Even if Bottas had gone on to win, which could well have been done with the tyre stop options Mercedes would have had, it would still have meant less points v Hamilton. Is may even have destroyed Sebs tyres chasing Bottas allowing Hamilton to pass. They would have has far more options.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

dans79

JPBD1990 wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 16:30
Ferrari boss Maurizio Arrivabene says the team's former technical director James Allison needs lessons in how to be a gentlemen after suggesting Kimi Raikkonen intentionally knocked Lewis Hamilton off the road at the start of the British Grand Prix.
Perhaps someone should tell him his drivers need some lessons in how to not run into people on the first lap of the race! It is getting rather ridiculous now, two times in the last 3 races is not a good statistical trend!
197 104 103 7

LM10

dans79 wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 16:43
JPBD1990 wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 16:30
Perhaps someone should tell him his drivers need some lessons in how to not run into people on the first lap of the race! It is getting rather ridiculous now, two times in the last 3 races is not a good statistical trend!
"Two times in the last 3 races" doesn't sound well statistically, you're right. How about "two times in the whole season"?
It's just a coincidence it happened two times in a row.

Such incidents happen in the midfield every race and no one cares about penalties given there. Hamilton got pole and should have turned this into an advantage which he didn't manage to do. After the bad start P2 was the beat he could have gotten anyway. So next time he maybe should concentrate more on his mistakes than only overreacting because of mistakes of others.