2018 German Grand Prix - Hockenheimring, July 20-22

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
PlatinumZealot
348
User avatar
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:45 am

Re: 2018 German Grand Prix - Hockenheimring, July 20-22

Post by PlatinumZealot » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:04 pm

LM10 wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:15 pm
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:54 pm
This is a different discussion, but the track to track comparison was already done. I was very relieved at times when Ferrari and Vettel tripped over themselves. This year, the self inflicted wounds are coming from the Mercedes side of the pit lane. So many strategy errors. Two clear wins given away.
Melbourne and?
France. VSC.
"The true champions are also great men. They are capable of making difficult decisions, of admitting their mistakes and of pushing harder than before when they get up from a fall."

- Ferrari chairman Sergio Marchionne

Sierra117
43
User avatar
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:19 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: 2018 German Grand Prix - Hockenheimring, July 20-22

Post by Sierra117 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:22 pm

I've been out of it for some time but am I right in saying that the original track layout had a very narrow straight? Why'd they remove it? I remember it used to be a really exciting part of the track. Can't remember who but someone drove into the grass to overtake or something, it's that why they removed it?
NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

zibby43
232
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:16 am

Re: 2018 German Grand Prix - Hockenheimring, July 20-22

Post by zibby43 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:49 pm

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:04 pm
LM10 wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:15 pm
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:54 pm
This is a different discussion, but the track to track comparison was already done. I was very relieved at times when Ferrari and Vettel tripped over themselves. This year, the self inflicted wounds are coming from the Mercedes side of the pit lane. So many strategy errors. Two clear wins given away.
Melbourne and?
France. VSC.
I'm confused? Hamilton won in France.

FLuidd
-17
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:29 pm

Re: 2018 German Grand Prix - Hockenheimring, July 20-22

Post by FLuidd » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:19 pm

Looking back after the quali in Silverstone, I got that rare impression where although a car is in pole it doesnt feel like it is going to win.

I guess the fact that Kimi was under .100 from Hamilton added this to my feeling.

After the race in Silverstone I got the impression that Vettel will run with the WDC almost like in 2013.

On paper this track seems like it will be a slam dunk for Ferrari, i mean everything is there, the regular threaded tyres, that blend between power and corner ability and last but not least quali pace along with faster starts from the grid.

I see a Ferrari win and i think that before the summer break Vettel will have 30+ points on hamilton in the wdc.

PlatinumZealot
348
User avatar
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:45 am

Re: 2018 German Grand Prix - Hockenheimring, July 20-22

Post by PlatinumZealot » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:01 pm

zibby43 wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:49 pm
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:04 pm
LM10 wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:15 pm


Melbourne and?
France. VSC.
I'm confused? Hamilton won in France.
My mistake. Not France.. The races have been a little unremarkable as you can tell. Was really refering to the race where James Vowles royally screwed up. It was the austrian GP i think. Yes. Had Hamilton pitted he would have cruised to the win without issue.
Last edited by PlatinumZealot on Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The true champions are also great men. They are capable of making difficult decisions, of admitting their mistakes and of pushing harder than before when they get up from a fall."

- Ferrari chairman Sergio Marchionne

dfegan358
-2
Joined: Tue May 29, 2018 1:16 am

Re: 2018 German Grand Prix - Hockenheimring, July 20-22

Post by dfegan358 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:39 pm

Hamilton retired in Austria due to mechanical fault. Do people forget that. He would not have won anyway even if he pitted under VSC

falonso81
2
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:29 pm

Re: 2018 German Grand Prix - Hockenheimring, July 20-22

Post by falonso81 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:57 pm

People have short term memory. Hamilton had a mechanical DNF in Austria. They did not give up a win, their car broke down.

zibby43
232
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:16 am

Re: 2018 German Grand Prix - Hockenheimring, July 20-22

Post by zibby43 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:46 pm

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:01 pm
zibby43 wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:49 pm
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:04 pm


France. VSC.
I'm confused? Hamilton won in France.
My mistake. Not France.. The races have been a little unremarkable as you can tell. Was really refering to the race where James Vowles royally screwed up. It was the austrian GP i think. Yes. Had Hamilton stayed out he would have cruised to the win without issue.
You are correct - that would've been Austria. Luckily for Vowles, the DNF masked the magnitude of that error.

roon
441
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:04 pm

Re: 2018 German Grand Prix - Hockenheimring, July 20-22

Post by roon » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:22 am

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:01 pm
It was the austrian GP i think. Yes. Had Hamilton pitted he would have cruised to the win without issue.
Can't rule it out, but it seems unlikely that the pit stop timing would have caused a mechanical failure. Believe it was fuel system related.

iotar__
5
User avatar
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:31 am

Re: 2018 German Grand Prix - Hockenheimring, July 20-22

Post by iotar__ » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:00 am

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:01 pm
It was the austrian GP i think. Yes. Had Hamilton pitted he would have cruised to the win without issue.
Unless you can count to two, source: pitstop summary. He couldn't make tyres last and you're still whining about delayed pitstop on SS? We all know that other cars (Ferrari, RB) unlike Ham's Mercedes were fine in dirty air :roll: and had not problems with one-stoppers.

More on "he would have" category :D :
- Hamilton would have cruised to the win without issue in British GP had he not lost two positions at the start
- Bottas would have fininshed in front of him and not behind had Mercedes pitted him. They wrapped this nicely in "win attempt gone wrong" BS.

AnotherAlex
3
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:24 pm

Re: 2018 German Grand Prix - Hockenheimring, July 20-22

Post by AnotherAlex » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:57 am

[...] I'm hoping for a dry weekend. Things are sufficiently unpredictable that we don't really need the lottery of a rain affected race. (I'm happy to eat my words if Hockenheim turns into a procession.)
Last edited by Steven on Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed comments on deleted off-topic posts

siskue2005
146
User avatar
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 8:50 pm

Re: 2018 German Grand Prix - Hockenheimring, July 20-22

Post by siskue2005 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:34 pm

dfegan358 wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:39 pm
Hamilton retired in Austria due to mechanical fault. Do people forget that. He would not have won anyway even if he pitted under VSC
the issue manifested when he stuck behind other cars...they could have managed the race while leading...which would have reduced the risk of any mechanical failures

falonso81
2
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:29 pm

Re: 2018 German Grand Prix - Hockenheimring, July 20-22

Post by falonso81 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:07 pm

siskue2005 wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:34 pm
dfegan358 wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:39 pm
Hamilton retired in Austria due to mechanical fault. Do people forget that. He would not have won anyway even if he pitted under VSC
the issue manifested when he stuck behind other cars...they could have managed the race while leading...which would have reduced the risk of any mechanical failures
Could have, would have...again, you are speculating. Merc's tyres would never make it to the end. Even in free air, blistering would appear, just as in Max's car.

Phil
396
User avatar
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:22 pm

Re: 2018 German Grand Prix - Hockenheimring, July 20-22

Post by Phil » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:24 pm

falonso81 wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:07 pm
Could have, would have...again, you are speculating. Merc's tyres would never make it to the end. Even in free air, blistering would appear, just as in Max's car.
The blistering was a direct result of 'overheating the surface of the tire' - also due to pushing hard on them. Not pushing them hard would have prevented that blistering. It really isn't rocket science what happened.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

GPR-A
167
User avatar
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:00 am

Re: 2018 German Grand Prix - Hockenheimring, July 20-22

Post by GPR-A » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:46 pm

Phil wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:24 pm
falonso81 wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:07 pm
Could have, would have...again, you are speculating. Merc's tyres would never make it to the end. Even in free air, blistering would appear, just as in Max's car.
The blistering was a direct result of 'overheating the surface of the tire' - also due to pushing hard on them. Not pushing them hard would have prevented that blistering. It really isn't rocket science what happened.
It indeed is, for some. Especially, when you lack awareness of the energy that is put into the tires while cornering at max possible speed (while chasing) and at lift and cruise speed (while comfortably leading in free air). I guess the premium of being on pole is not well understood.