2018 German Grand Prix - Hockenheimring, July 20-22

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Justthatek
Justthatek

Re: 2018 German Grand Prix - Hockenheimring, July 20-22

Restomaniac wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 00:55
Restomaniac wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 00:48
It would be more informative if you had stuck the times for Bottas and Raikkonen up as well.
As you wish:

Kimi
45 1:19.719
46 1:21.798
47 1:19.680
48 1:20.789
49 1:20.117
50 1:22.168
51 1:33.961

Bottas
45 1:18.222
46 1:21.822
47 1:20.370
48 1:19.568
49 1:19.723
50 1:22.063
51 1:31.867
Well looking at those numbers Vettel was around 6 seconds faster than Raikkonen and although the times come and go with regard to Bottas in lap 51 Vettel was around 2.5 seconds faster. In fact he almost did an identical lap time to Hamilton on lap 51.
From Skysports News Image

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

It is good to know the lap times but even without these, I remember the gap being ~23 seconds which brought down to ~12sec in 5 laps. So, I am pretty sure Vettel was pushing as hard as he could have.

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

Tyres and traffic.

LM10
LM10

ismail1991 wrote:
24 Jul 2018, 16:47
LM10 wrote:
24 Jul 2018, 16:27
Wynters wrote:
24 Jul 2018, 15:36
Remind us, Bottas has won races with Mercedes...how many races has Raikonnen been allowed to win? How many times has he let Vettel through, even when he was in a better position (such as at this GP when there was rain forecast meaning they all looked like they would have to make one more pitstop and he had track position)? How many times has Vettel let him back through?

All the teams use team orders, there is no 'holier than thou' on this issue. To pretend otherwise is madness.
When was Kimi in such a race winning position as Bottas has been a few times this season (at least Baku)? And he would have won at least once, if it was not for unlucky incidents.

Kimi unfortunately mostly let it slip through his hands when it matters most. In Hockenheim he was leading, but I doubt that Vettel would have pitted a second time. The top teams knew that rain was about to come for just a few minutes. That’s why Hamilton got slicks as well.
So Kimi and Vettel were on different strategies and Ferrari’s call to let Vettel through was way too late.
MONACO last year is a perfect example. As everybody knows who starts first finishes first in MONACO
It was Vettel who drove oustandingly fast and eventually overcut Kimi. Kimi was in the pits first as that is the case with the driver who is further upfront on the grid. He even got the opportunity to do an undercut on Vettel with fresh tyres, but couldn't as Vettel was just lightning-fast.
If it had been Vettel who had been in the pits first people would have criticized Ferrari again, telling that they wanted Vettel to do an undercut on Kimi.
Last edited by LM10 on 24 Jul 2018, 17:48, edited 2 times in total.

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

santos wrote:
24 Jul 2018, 15:15
"I think for the sake of the sport and the fans and the drivers, at that stage in the season, the beginning of July, switching drivers is quite a brutal call." - Toto a few weeks ago
"Valtteri, it's James, please hold position. I'm sorry," - James Vowles

But then Toto explains why they did that, and the world says "Ok Toto, our dear god of F1".

At Ferrari, a driver is asked to not hold back the teammate. The world gets angry, and say that they are destroying the sport…

I'm ok with team orders. They should be applied whenever a team thinks it will get a better result.
No, no no.... You don't get it. I am angry with Ferrari not because of team orders. It is because how they use a legend, Kimi literally as cannon fodder. They just pitted him in front of Lewis to prevent him from running in clear air. That is just dirty. That is beyond team orders and it is just ugly. For Ferrari 2nd driver is just a tool, a guinea pig. I hate that.

LM10
LM10

foxmulder_ms wrote:
24 Jul 2018, 17:24
santos wrote:
"I think for the sake of the sport and the fans and the drivers, at that stage in the season, the beginning of July, switching drivers is quite a brutal call." - Toto a few weeks ago

But then Toto explains why they did that, and the world says "Ok Toto, our dear god of F1".

At Ferrari, a driver is asked to not hold back the teammate. The world gets angry, and say that they are destroying the sport…

I'm ok with team orders. They should be applied whenever a team thinks it will get a better result.
No, no no.... You don't get it. I am angry with Ferrari not because of team orders. It is because how they use a legend, Kimi literally as cannon fodder. They just pitted him in front of Lewis to prevent him from running in clear air. That is just dirty. That is beyond team orders and it is just ugly. For Ferrari 2nd driver is just a tool, a guinea pig. I hate that.
What are you talking about? Kimi was in dirty air behind Bottas. Then he was pitted and got out in front of Lewis in clear air and by this move he also was able to undercut Bottas.

santos
santos

foxmulder_ms wrote:
santos wrote:

Well, if Kimi have to be sacrificed for Vettel wins the championship… I'm ok with that. And if they haven't pitted Kimi most probably he would't finnish third.

LM10
LM10

santos wrote:
24 Jul 2018, 18:12
foxmulder_ms wrote:
santos wrote:

Well, if Kimi have to be sacrificed for Vettel wins the championship… I'm ok with that. And if they haven't pitted Kimi most probably he would't finnish third.
It’s crystal clear that Kimi won’t be able to win the championship, even if Ferrari would totally concentrate on him. I love Kimi, but unfortunately that’s the truth (well, it’s my opinion, but I think I’m not the only one thinking this way).

But even though, Kimi isn’t the “guinea pig” or whatever he is being called here. If he was, he would have been overtaken by Vettel through team call in Spielberg. Vettel would have not been 17 points behind Hamilton now, but 15 and those 2 points can make the difference at the end of such a competitive season.

However, this was not the case. So all the talks about Ferrari being dirty with Kimi is annoying already.

Wynters
Wynters

LM10 wrote:
Wynters wrote:
24 Jul 2018, 15:36
Mamba wrote:
24 Jul 2018, 14:28
If anything Merc's Hamilton favourtism is higher and certainly more clear than Ferrari's Vettel favourtism.
Remind us, Bottas has won races with Mercedes...how many races has Raikonnen been allowed to win? How many times has he let Vettel through, even when he was in a better position (such as at this GP when there was rain forecast meaning they all looked like they would have to make one more pitstop and he had track position)? How many times has Vettel let him back through?

All the teams use team orders, there is no 'holier than thou' on this issue. To pretend otherwise is madness.
When was Kimi in such a race winning position as Bottas has been a few times this season (at least Baku)? And he would have won at least once, if it was not for unlucky incidents.

Kimi unfortunately mostly let it slip through his hands when it matters most. In Hockenheim he was leading, but I doubt that Vettel would have pitted a second time. The top teams knew that rain was about to come for just a few minutes. That’s why Hamilton got slicks as well.
So Kimi and Vettel were on different strategies and Ferrari’s call to let Vettel through was way too late.
Hamilton got slicks because he told the pits that he had one lap left in those tyres so they had to pit him. As it wasn't raining, what else were they going to put on? How many laps do you think Intermediates can do in the dry at a competitive speed? Did you see the lap times of those who had Intermediates on even when it was actually raining? As for the rain itself, if the clouds had drifted slightly further south the track would have been wet. As we regularly see, predicting the exact time, density and coverage of the rain is very rare, even when the clouds are only a mile away.

We know now that the rain and saftey car would coincide and that the rain wouldn't fall heavily enough during the race to require Inters. They didn't know when they ordered Kimi to let Seb through. 'But', you might say, 'Seb was faster so he should be let through.' Fair enough, even with neither of them under threat given their superior package at this track, better to secure the win. I totally agree. But apparently that wasn't the case in Hungary last year. They were more than willing to risk Kimi in order to protect Seb then. More than that, given how badly Seb was limping, if a Mercedes had passed Kimi, Seb would have had no defence so they were actually risking both their positions just to increase the chances that Seb, specifically, will win.

To be clear, I'm not criticising this. It's just F1. Might as well complain about water being wet.

Every team uses team orders. Most (all) teams will favour a WDC candidate over one that isn't as the extra publicity is valuable. All teams will claim that they don't use team orders exactly because of all this childish fan whining about 'my team is better than your team'. It's laughable that teams were clearer about Team Orders when it was actually illegal than they were last weekend. In general, claims by fans on all sides that 'their' ( :lol: ) team is morally superior in these regards only show how disconnected from reality those fans are. The people who claimed that Seb "Forgot to steer so shouldn't have had a penalty" in Baku or that Hamilton "didn't cross any lines and so shouldn't have had any penalty" in Hockenheim are the same people who claim that their team doesn't use TOs or that, somehow, 'their' team orders aren't exactly the same as everybody elses'.

ismail1991
ismail1991

LM10 wrote:
24 Jul 2018, 17:22
ismail1991 wrote:
24 Jul 2018, 16:47
LM10 wrote:

MONACO last year is a perfect example. As everybody knows who starts first finishes first in MONACO
It was Vettel who drove oustandingly fast and eventually overcut Kimi. Kimi was in the pits first as that is the case with the driver who is further upfront on the grid. He even got the opportunity to do an undercut on Vettel with fresh tyres, but couldn't as Vettel was just lightning-fast.
If it had been Vettel who had been in the pits first people would have criticized Ferrari again, telling that they wanted Vettel to do an undercut on Kimi.
They pitted Kimi early without Kimi asking for pitstop. Then Kimi was not in free air. He had to overtake lappers again, In Mercedes, overcut happened also Hamilton overtook Rosberg a few times by staying longer, but all the time both of them were in free air. In addition Overcutting person was allowed to stay at most more 2 laps.

TAG

The definitive answer regarding the meteorological prowess of Mercedes, not Toro Rosso. at 2:46

माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

GPR-A duplicate2

Wynters wrote:
24 Jul 2018, 18:26
Every team uses team orders. Most (all) teams will favour a WDC candidate over one that isn't as the extra publicity is valuable. All teams will claim that they don't use team orders exactly because of all this childish fan whining about 'my team is better than your team'. It's laughable that teams were clearer about Team Orders when it was actually illegal than they were last weekend. In general, claims by fans on all sides that 'their' ( :lol: ) team is morally superior in these regards only show how disconnected from reality those fans are. The people who claimed that Seb "Forgot to steer so shouldn't have had a penalty" in Baku or that Hamilton "didn't cross any lines and so shouldn't have had any penalty" in Hockenheim are the same people who claim that their team doesn't use TOs or that, somehow, 'their' team orders aren't exactly the same as everybody elses'.
Two people suck on this planet, more than anyone else. Ron Dennis and Toto Wolff. Because these are the two stupid people who gave the idea to the world that, IT WOULD BE GOOD TO HAVE TEAM MATE battle. Otherwise, history was very clear that, every team would have an Alpha who is a designated Championship contender, because there is only one Driver's title available. Fangio even took his team mate's car after his car developed problem and went on to win the a race. Those were the days! I have always supported a team having a clear No.1 and 2. It takes away a lot of rubbish from the sport and gives one less headache to debate about.

It shouldn't be a leading team's moral responsibility to build a competition, if the other teams haven't build a material good enough for competition.

PlatinumZealot

Zynerji wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 03:15
PlatinumZealot wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 03:09
Phil wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 00:21
I was fist pumping back in 2007 on that last race when Hamilton was desperately trying to get his car working again as he slipped further and further back. I feel kinda stupid having done that, especially considering i ended up being a fan of Lewis in 2008, but sport sometimes gets the better of us... :/
Did a few fist pumps today too. Vettel in the wall, beating on his steering wheel like a Conga drum made my day. :mrgreen:
Only low class fans applaud crashes, regardless of who the driver is.
That statement is such a generalization. Some crashes are serious... while some like the on vettel did are downright silly.. but I admit I felt sorry for him after a while.. but I am loving it when he cracks under pressure.

Look at the difference in wet weather driving skill:

🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

TAG

Zynerji wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 03:15
Only low class fans applaud crashes, regardless of who the driver is.
Couldn't find the original quote, I guess the mods cleaned it up but this made me :lol: cause NASCAR.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

????

So no punishment for that lapper that blocked Kimi in which he also lost a place????