2018 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, 27-29 July

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Just_a_fan

Re: 2018 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, 27-29 July

I think the VSC will be the go-to response wherever a car needs a tractor to retrieve it. A full SC where marshals are on track clearing up for a period of time or where the response car is required. I would expect double waved yellows only where the car is stopped near one of the gateways that allows the marshals to quickly push the car backwards off track in less than a minute. Simple yellow where a car has spun in the run off area but will get going in a moment or two.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

zac510

Just_a_fan wrote:
01 Aug 2018, 19:21
I think the VSC will be the go-to response wherever a car needs a tractor to retrieve it. A full SC where marshals are on track clearing up for a period of time or where the response car is required. I would expect double waved yellows only where the car is stopped near one of the gateways that allows the marshals to quickly push the car backwards off track in less than a minute. Simple yellow where a car has spun in the run off area but will get going in a moment or two.
That's what I thought based on the race director's use of double yellows and VSC until now. However in both cases of VER and VAN last week they were stopped by an opening where no tractor was required, yet a VSC was called in both cases.
If, by an FIA decision the VSC will from now on be called every time a marshal steps onto the track then this will have a big effect on race strategy.

giantfan10

The actual real reason

Andres125sx

digitalrurouni wrote:
01 Aug 2018, 18:42
Andres125sx wrote:
01 Aug 2018, 17:29
digitalrurouni wrote:
01 Aug 2018, 16:41

Agreed to a point. But Hamilton is usually the better driver than the rest of the field in said conditions regardless of the cars he has driven as he has demonstrated throughout his career. Verstappen and Dani were in the same cars in that race in Brazil and Verstappen was just scything through the cars up the field. Some people just got it.
No "but" please, I´ve never said the contrary. Why everybody takes "the car is still more important than driver under the rain" as "Hamilton is not good under the rain"? :) To me only Alonso is comparable under the rain, and now maybe Max, but both of them drive slower cars so he´s no competition under the rain

I totally see where you are coming from and I agree with you. What still amazes me and that is the point I am trying to make is - yes throughout his career Hamilton has had better cars than most other people had for one reason than other. However they were all not championship winning cars. And during the times he didn't have championship winning cars he still won races and still drove said cars in the rain and beat other people out. So while yes cars play a bigger factor I think the driver also is a huge factor because he is the one ultimately having to drag the 'sub-par' car around the track to win or to take pole. It's just in my mind Senna and Hamilton have been so good in those tricky conditions that even though I know without the car underneath them they won't be able to do what they are doing it just seems like they are able to make the car do what the car wasn't even possible of doing lol. Make sense what I mean?
Some people will say that´s absurd since if the car can´t do something, no driver will make it possible. But I see what you mean and fully agree.

Drivers can make a car faster than it is because no driver, not even the best in F1 history (use the name you want), can get 100% of his car potential. If we say the average F1 driver can get 95% of his car potential, any top driver getting 97% will finish in front of cars wich are slightly faster, but whose driver can only get 95% of its potential.

In wet conditions this is a lot more noticeable, specially on semiwet-semidry tracks, because the grip is constantly changing and they can´t know beforhand, so in such conditions they simply can´t go to the limit or they´ll end up on a wall or gravel trap at first corner with more water than expected. So in wet conditions they can´t get so much of his car potential wich means there´s a higher margin to make a difference between a top and average F1 driver.

Invented percentages obviously, but to clarify, in the wet maybe an average F1 driver can get 85% out of his car, while a top one can get 93% so the difference is higher and he can beat cars he´d never beat on dry conditions. I hope it makes sense :)

But that does not mean Lewis would win with a Sauber tough, average F1 drivers are very good drivers so the difference in cars potential must be small to allow a top driver make the difference

Harvester

Singabule wrote:
01 Aug 2018, 01:02
So many evidence guys, squating, less shaking while attacking curbs, high tyre degradation in one side only, great low speed corner, never have broken suspension while attacking a baguette, etc.
This also goes in line with what was reported these past years that Merc is very good on attacking curbs

LM10

Helmut Marko told that their wet tyres had 50 degrees temperature, but they should have had 80 degrees at least.

johndoucakis

Re: Aston Martin Red Bull Racing TAG Heuer RB14

Hi experts. I had the chance to attend the Hungarian GP and managed to take a few photos.
Link:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/32628370@N03/

They expand to full screen or can be dowloaded.

John

giantfan10

LM10 wrote:
01 Aug 2018, 23:59
Helmut Marko told that their wet tyres had 50 degrees temperature, but they should have had 80 degrees at least.
See the video i posted a few reponses up... i suspect Ferrari had some variation of the same issue....some would rather focus on Hamilton and Vettel and the my driver is better nonsense arguement....

strad

Thanks John
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

strad

On the Mercedes what are the clear pieces that are pointy at the front of the cockpit?
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

foxmulder_ms

strad wrote:
02 Aug 2018, 02:51
On the Mercedes what are the clear pieces that are pointy at the front of the cockpit?
Windscreen. Good for aero? Good for less bugs on the visor.

Roman

NathanOlder wrote:
29 Jul 2018, 20:43

Part 1, its the 3rd back to back win this season ?!?!

Part 5, so many people comment on hamilton's hair, lifestyle, hobbies ect as they have no ammo at all when it comes to his driving. (Not saying you are necessarily one of them, it just reminded me about the number of people i hear commenting on things like his hair, Earrings, dogs ect)
I know it's a bit late, but whatever! :lol:

For the back to back you are of course correct! Someone made that statement and I foolishly accepted it without checking. Should have learned by now that that is not a good idea.

For the hair: I hear you, but please, what is that? Does not affect his driving skills of course.

digitalrurouni

Andres125sx wrote:
01 Aug 2018, 20:55

But that does not mean Lewis would win with a Sauber tough, average F1 drivers are very good drivers so the difference in cars potential must be small to allow a top driver make the difference
Agreed with your post and that last sentence is the truth!

digitalrurouni

Re: Aston Martin Red Bull Racing TAG Heuer RB14

johndoucakis wrote:
02 Aug 2018, 00:16
Hi experts. I had the chance to attend the Hungarian GP and managed to take a few photos.
Link:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/32628370@N03/

They expand to full screen or can be dowloaded.

John
Wow great pics! How did you get pit access? I guess you got the VIP supreme extra cool tickets or something! So jealous!

Yurasyk

giantfan10 wrote:
01 Aug 2018, 20:03
The actual real reason
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VCJ2o5x8vQ
Thank you for this video. =D> It deserves an upvote if it only was possible to do in this thread.